Archived The End of an Era

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about your guys store but at my store today we had multiple apps and they were very hands on both the TPS and APS.

Weird, my understand was only APS/APTL could app. Not TPS
The TPS could have just been assisting. When the app certified tm gives the go a TPS can go hands on and do whatever app certified TMs can, a TPS can not initiate a solo apprehension but a SR. TPS can so if you have a senior I envy you

The TPS could have just been assisting. When the app certified tm gives the go a TPS can go hands on and do whatever app certified TMs can, a TPS can not initiate a solo apprehension but a SR. TPS can so if you have a senior I envy you
Maybe, but with current 100% always at the door policy, a Sr. TPS is now useless.

Maybe, but with current 100% always at the door policy, a Sr. TPS is now useless.

Jesus christ I'm glad I quit this place months ago. I just logged in to see how things have been going and if things were still going in the wrong direction. Seems like it's gotten even worse.

As someone who spent 6 years as a Sr. TPS best advice I can give you:
Theft happens, don't take it personally. Those that do, don't last with the company.

Show up, do your time, and leave. Anything that goes missing, document it, investigate if possible, and continue on with your day. There are people getting paid huge bucks to stress out about that shit-- not you. And because theft happens, you still have a job. If it didn't, you wouldn't be there.

And for all my AP comrades looking for the "next step," I made my transition into hospital security. If you can land something in healthcare-- THAT'S where the money is at!! No bachelors required. If you continue playing in the retail field, you'll continue getting retail wages and benefits-- CRAP. Look into private security firms, browse Craigslist under 'Security,' or just google hospitals around you and search for 'Jobs' under their websites. Trust me, your AP experience can translate into lots of different avenues and it's all about how you sell yourself in an interview.

Remember, as a TPS you're literally an investigator for the store. You look into everything and get paid to problem-solve. Now sell it to potential employers.

And for all my AP comrades looking for the "next step," I made my transition into hospital security. If you can land something in healthcare-- THAT'S where the money is at!! No bachelors required. If you continue playing in the retail field, you'll continue getting retail wages and benefits-- CRAP.

Isn't hospital security the one handing out name badges for visitors?

Isn't hospital security the one handing out name badges for visitors?
We had a guy leave AP for a job in hospital security. He carries handcuffs and has to use them at times on people. He gets paid more than me also.

I always tell people that healthcare is the safest job you can take. That field isn't going anywhere.

We had a guy leave AP for a job in hospital security. He carries handcuffs and has to use them at times on people. He gets paid more than me also.

I always tell people that healthcare is the safest job you can take. That field isn't going anywhere.

One of my counselors was in healthcare security while he was working on his degree.
It may be stable but is not safe.
Those cuffs don't help much when you have a 360 pound man who has been off his meds for a couple months and is having active hallucinations.
He has some really scary stories I can tell you, including one about a woman who coughed up razor blades (they had tape around them which was starting to dissolve).

I only mentioned hospital security as an idea or option to show there are other avenues. Many within AP live for the adrenaline rush that comes with detaining and apprehending shoplifters and that translates directly into the hospital setting. You use your verbal deescalation skills to convince patients to cooperate and go with the program, or when necessary, work with your fellow officers and physically restrain the patients onto their beds until the nursing staff can administer medication to calm them down You apply leather restraints onto the wrists and ankles that can only be removed with a key. As commiecorvus mentioned, it can certainly be a dangerous profession but so can AP. I carry a baton, handcuffs, taser gun, and am equipped with a bullet-proof vest. I work in the suburbs so the risk is much less than hospitals in the major cities. I've never had to use any of my equipment (1.5 years in), but it's nice to have it in case I need it. And you're dealing with people off their medications (not right state-of-mind), people that are intoxicated, and many times I see people that would be 'boosters' at Target end up at the hospital for drug detox. I enjoy the problem-solving aspects of resolving issues with upset people and you find that most of the time, they just want someone to listen to them.

But the hospital setting is not for everyone. Maybe some like being bouncers at clubs. Maybe some like private investigations for insurance companies for people that claim false disabilities. Some like dispatch work and cyber investigations. Some like contract-security in a suit & tie type of environment. The list can go on. Point being, as a TPS you have a foundation that can transfer into a more lucrative career. If you remain with Target and accept being a TPS (nothing wrong with it, as mentioned I did it for 6 years), you have to settle for THEIR rules. For the majority, your ONLY promotion options are to APS (if even that) or maybe APTL... As a TPS, you get looked down upon because it's an "entry-level" position in AP (and they hire morons that ruin the imagine for TPS' that care about their job)... I know TPS' RUN stores and do EVERYTHING while the ETL-AP/STL get the credit for it. Plus, once you've been successful long enough, it becomes the expectation. Forget that all your neighboring stores SUCK, it's expected that *YOU* get the most apps, reduction in shortage, ect. The "recognition" no longer matters because you learn that it really means nothing since your accomplishments will be forgotten the following month.

Either you leave a Hero on your own terms (promotion/other job), or you stay long enough to see yourself become the villain. Store (ETLAP/STL)/district management changes and it's always the ones that have been there the longest that get "hated-on" and labeled as incompetent. I went from being the top performer, district trainer, and receiving every award possible to all of a sudden not being competent enough to perform core routines. When its your time to go, you'll notice petty criticism on everything you do. Nobody, including your ETL, will be on your side. You'll know they're either performance you out or making the work condition so intolerable that you leave on your own.

/end rant.

I only mentioned hospital security as an idea or option to show there are other avenues. Many within AP live for the adrenaline rush that comes with detaining and apprehending shoplifters and that translates directly into the hospital setting. You use your verbal deescalation skills to convince patients to cooperate and go with the program, or when necessary, work with your fellow officers and physically restrain the patients onto their beds until the nursing staff can administer medication to calm them down You apply leather restraints onto the wrists and ankles that can only be removed with a key. As commiecorvus mentioned, it can certainly be a dangerous profession but so can AP. I carry a baton, handcuffs, taser gun, and am equipped with a bullet-proof vest. I work in the suburbs so the risk is much less than hospitals in the major cities. I've never had to use any of my equipment (1.5 years in), but it's nice to have it in case I need it. And you're dealing with people off their medications (not right state-of-mind), people that are intoxicated, and many times I see people that would be 'boosters' at Target end up at the hospital for drug detox. I enjoy the problem-solving aspects of resolving issues with upset people and you find that most of the time, they just want someone to listen to them.

But the hospital setting is not for everyone. Maybe some like being bouncers at clubs. Maybe some like private investigations for insurance companies for people that claim false disabilities. Some like dispatch work and cyber investigations. Some like contract-security in a suit & tie type of environment. The list can go on. Point being, as a TPS you have a foundation that can transfer into a more lucrative career. If you remain with Target and accept being a TPS (nothing wrong with it, as mentioned I did it for 6 years), you have to settle for THEIR rules. For the majority, your ONLY promotion options are to APS (if even that) or maybe APTL... As a TPS, you get looked down upon because it's an "entry-level" position in AP (and they hire morons that ruin the imagine for TPS' that care about their job)... I know TPS' RUN stores and do EVERYTHING while the ETL-AP/STL get the credit for it. Plus, once you've been successful long enough, it becomes the expectation. Forget that all your neighboring stores SUCK, it's expected that *YOU* get the most apps, reduction in shortage, ect. The "recognition" no longer matters because you learn that it really means nothing since your accomplishments will be forgotten the following month.

Either you leave a Hero on your own terms (promotion/other job), or you stay long enough to see yourself become the villain. Store (ETLAP/STL)/district management changes and it's always the ones that have been there the longest that get "hated-on" and labeled as incompetent. I went from being the top performer, district trainer, and receiving every award possible to all of a sudden not being competent enough to perform core routines. When its your time to go, you'll notice petty criticism on everything you do. Nobody, including your ETL, will be on your side. You'll know they're either performance you out or making the work condition so intolerable that you leave on your own.

/end rant.
Bravo!

Just talked to AP this morning who confirmed the changes to me (I'm a Mobile Team Lead). Man, I feel for you guys. Bad move and this doesn't make us any more safe or prevent theft any more. Guests appreciate the appearance of AP, so this is not good at all

Found this image online, I think it was from last season though......But all I have to say is Oh Fuck no

Attachments

• IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 81
Question for you AP folks. We have an issue at my store of people accusing our ETL AP being racist.

I know that being in AP you see patterns and what not and you would be ignorant to ignore when something doesn't seem right but I have also seen soccer mom's in coach purses literally walk out of our store with unpaid merchandise.

Do you guys ever deal with those accusations and how do you go about it?

Question for you AP folks. We have an issue at my store of people accusing our ETL AP being racist.

I know that being in AP you see patterns and what not and you would be ignorant to ignore when something doesn't seem right but I have also seen soccer mom's in coach purses literally walk out of our store with unpaid merchandise.

Depends on the area really. My store sees a very equal flow of most races and you can't focus on just a certain race of people. However, there are people in my store that will only give me callouts on black folks.

The store about 15 miles to the north is almost predominantly white, so the race card often gets pulled when any black individuals are caught or AP is following them. It all depends.

Is there anything that isn't "waycist" nowadays if you're white? I don't care.

Is there anything that isn't "waycist" nowadays if you're white? I don't care.

That's a fair point but I think it's a mistake to have a "Not my problem" attitude. Actually feeds into the stereotype of a power hungry rent a cop.

Our TPS has the respect of our TMs and someone actually came to him when one of our electronic TMs was changing prices for his buddies even though it was probably on a matter of time until our ETL AP caught on

Actually feeds into the stereotype of a power hungry rent a cop.

So if someone doesn't feed into a racial victimization complex and play the identity politics race baiting game they're a "power hungry rent-a-cop". Makes perfect sense!

I've been called a racist many times, and I can sincerely say I don't "only follow black people" as some subjects have accused me of. I follow everybody, all the time, regardless of what you look like. ;)

It's going to happen. It's impossible to avoid given the workcenter, and pretty hard to actually prove someone's intentions are race-motivated. Directives are clear that you don't observe based on race, but it's impossible to govern that given what each market might see in their day to day.

I've worked with a few racist folks in AP. At most, I found them to observe black people more, but they still treated every situation the same. Being wrong didn't matter to them, being right only fed into their preconceived notions. It's all a lose-lose, really.

My old APTL got accused a few times, it's no big deal, and we always had the justification for denying returns or making stops, anyway.

So if someone doesn't feed into a racial victimization complex and play the identity politics race baiting game they're a "power hungry rent-a-cop". Makes perfect sense!

I think the "community policing" in a job like this is wise. Yes you are there to bust bad guys but if you are some gruff who says I don't care about the team, you are playing into the assumption that you are a power hungry door greeter. That's all I am saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back