MEGATHREAD The On-Demand Team Member (ODTM) Thread

ODTMs will no longer accrue vacation pay (but may use any accrued hours until balance reaches zero).
I know that, I mean that if I am re-activated do my years of service reset? You accrue vacation time faster after certain milestones so I accrue more vacation per week now than a new hire. I'm wondering if I re-activate if I will still accrue at the rate based on my original hire date or if that resets.

I know that, I mean that if I am re-activated do my years of service reset? You accrue vacation time faster after certain milestones so I accrue more vacation per week now than a new hire. I'm wondering if I re-activate if I will still accrue at the rate based on my original hire date or if that resets.
@Yetive would prob know for sure. I think it doesn’t reset but the time you were ODTM doesn’t count towards it?

Your continuous service date stays the same. Your average hours will have to be high enough to be eligible to accrue vacation, and they have probably dropped a lot while you have been OD.

Yeah I figured it would be a while before it started to accrue again just wasn't sure if it kept my original date or not.

Thanks for answering!

This benefit is becoming more popular and I wanted to get a single point to discuss and answer questions about the position.

Here's the skinny.

An On-Demand Team Member (will appear on the grid as "ODTM") is a Team Member who is no longer regularly scheduled and instead accepts a "stand-by" or "on-call" sort of position. The following attributes will happen for ODTMs.
  • The ODTM will not be put on the schedule automatically — the ETL or TL will not schedule the ODTM like they do other Team Members.
  • ODTMs must select a secondary work center in addition to their primary work center, from which they will be able to view open shifts (ODTMs can only "officially" pick up shifts from these two work centers, but they can arrange to come in for any work center shift by talking to their Leadership).
  • A new app called "myTime", which replaced UKG Workforce ("Kronos"), will show open shifts from the two work centers, which the ODTM can pick up.
  • ODTMs can also cover shifts for other Team Members, reach out to Leadership for available hours, or accept offers when the store calls for help.

A few "catches" or "terms and conditions" that come along with this:
  • The ODTM must work at least a continuous 4-hour shift every 6 months* to remain employed (e.g. working two 3-hour shifts in one 6-month* period will not meet this requirement — it must be a continuous 4 hours clocked in).
  • ODTMs who do not work the required 4-hours every 6 months* may automatically be terminated.
  • ODTMs who pick up shifts via any method (accepting them in myTime, agreeing to cover a shift, accepting an offer to come in) which will cause them to be placed on the schedule for that shift, will be held accountable to that shift — tardiness, absence, or leaving early to/from these shifts may result in the typical disciplinary action for attendance, up to and including termination.
* = as of July 2021, the minimum work requirement window was extended from one 4-hour shift every 6 weeks to every 6 months to accommodate the elimination of the Educational Leave of Absence (ELOA), as college students will be encouraged to adopt this role and many attend school far from their home store, making working every 6 weeks impossible.

As far as benefits are concerned:
  • ODTMs will keep their Team Member Discount as long as they continue to be actively employed by Target.
  • Employment benefits, including health benefits, Team Member Life Resources, 401K, and others will be kept from the time they go from regular Team Member to ODTM, and will be assessed for health benefits after 12 months based on hours worked as an ODTM.
  • ODTMs will no longer accrue vacation pay (but may use any accrued hours until balance reaches zero).
  • ODTMs will no longer be eligible for personal or educational leaves of absence (except when and where required by law).
  • ODTMs will not receive a yearly performance review but will continue to be eligible to receive a base pay increase yearly.
Special considerations for certain jurisdictions:
  • Stores in Philadelphia, PA; San Francisco, CA; and Seattle, WA will not participate in the ODTM program due to local laws regarding scheduling.
  • Oregon stores must schedule ODTMs at least one shift per month to comply with the Oregon Predictive Scheduling Bill, and can pick up shifts voluntarily. Additionally, Oregon ODTMs must elect to be (a) on or (b) not on a "voluntary standby list" — stores cannot reach out with shift offers, via email, phone, or text, to ODTMs who opted not to be on the voluntary standby list.
Can ODTM’s transfer stores while staying on demand?

So, HR called a few weeks ago to ask me my availability for Thanksgiving weekend. I emailed them back and gave them availability on Saturday and Sunday. They responded to ask about Friday, so I gave them a short amount of time I was available. They emailed back and said great we will put you on. So far they have not put me on the schedule for any days.

I have made an update to the main post to reflect the updated guidelines that include the Style and F&B OD job codes, as well as the clarification that 6 weeks' requirement can be flexed (extended) so long as the ODTM is in constant communication with the store.

I’m wondering if being ODTM disqualifies you from receiving the anniversary gifts that Target traditionally sends— I received a gift card for my 10 years previously, but just passed 15 years of service (after switching to on-demand) and just got a handwritten card instead. Anyone know if this was an oversight or just part of the deal?

I’m wondering if being ODTM disqualifies you from receiving the anniversary gifts that Target traditionally sends— I received a gift card for my 10 years previously, but just passed 15 years of service (after switching to on-demand) and just got a handwritten card instead. Anyone know if this was an oversight or just part of the deal?
Not sure if it does or not but all anniversary gifts are just directly on your paycheck now

can confirm I am ODTM and got my 5 year on my paycheck

So, I can only assume from the reduction in time between required shifts that a) Spot is no longer considering ODTM the replacement for educational LOAs and, therefore, b) the ODTM position is on its way out.

Feh.

So, I can only assume from the reduction in time between required shifts that a) Spot is no longer considering ODTM the replacement for educational LOAs and, therefore, b) the ODTM position is on its way out.

Feh.
That'll suck. I enjoy being ODTM. I was wondering what might be the reason for the reduction, especially with regular TMs scrambling for every shift they can get.

Feh.
The requirements for college students is 6 months and they are not affected by this 4-week reduction. It only applies to non-college students.

So ODTM is still the replacement for ELOA.

And actually the ODTM position is very popular and stores heavily rely on ODTMs so I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

If they rely heavily on ODTMs, increasing the shift requirements is more likely to have them lose ODTMs who aren't willing to meet those requirements, so...

I don't think my store would yank my ODTM position, but if they did? *shrug* I'd deal. We're OK financially for the moment, what with tax returns and my day job bonus, but I'm pretty sure I'd be able to come back later in the year, if needed. My store is pretty good about bringing back reliable TMs.

increasing the shift requirements is more likely to have them lose ODTMs who aren't willing to meet those requirements
I get where you're coming from. There are a lot of stores carrying "dead ODTM weight." A lot aren't showing up at all and this does make it a little easier to trim the fat, if you would.
But don't forget they can still let the store know they need more than 4 weeks via a call or text.

If they rely heavily on ODTMs, increasing the shift requirements is more likely to have them lose ODTMs who aren't willing to meet those requirements, so...

I don't think my store would yank my ODTM position, but if they did? *shrug* I'd deal. We're OK financially for the moment, what with tax returns and my day job bonus, but I'm pretty sure I'd be able to come back later in the year, if needed. My store is pretty good about bringing back reliable TMs.
They bounced me, and yea same.

The requirements for college students is 6 months and they are not affected by this 4-week reduction. It only applies to non-college students.

So ODTM is still the replacement for ELOA.

And actually the ODTM position is very popular and stores heavily rely on ODTMs so I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

The February Monthly Planner, where the reduction was announced, said that stores should start recommending and encouraging College students to transfer to stores near their campuses. So, maybe?

The February Monthly Planner, where the reduction was announced, said that stores should start recommending and encouraging College students to transfer to stores near their campuses. So, maybe?
Some of these stores take months to execute a transfer, I can't imagine being asked to transfer or work here every 4 weeks, 1500 miles away from college... guess we just want college kids to quit.

Back