MEGATHREAD The On-Demand Team Member (ODTM) Thread

I'm in college and I've been on demand for over a year at a store near me. Apparently, they aren't offering the ODTM position in my store anymore, so I requested to transfer to another store (further from me) as on demand so that I could keep the job. This transfer has gone through just fine, but they're trying to tell me that I'm now supposed to work once every 4 weeks instead of once every 6 months (which was what I was doing at my old store, since I'm a student), and the reasoning is that the new store is too close to the school that I'm attending, so I don't qualify for the 6 months rule. Is there anyone that can shed some light on this policy / how can I get accommodated for the original 6 month rule? Thanks!
The rules got changed to once a month 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• 3E6D74D7-14A5-485D-941F-15716EB3DCAA.png
    3E6D74D7-14A5-485D-941F-15716EB3DCAA.png
    10.5 MB · Views: 27
Doesn't this thread say though that the 6 months remains for students?
= also, as of February 12, 2023, the one-shift-every-6-weeks requirement will be lessened to one shift every 4 weeks; as before, if the ODTM cannot work every 4 weeks, they should communicate constantly with the store to avoid automatic termination.

* = as of July 2021, for college students only, the minimum work requirement window was extended from one 4-hour shift every 4 weeks to every 6 months to accommodate the elimination of the Educational Leave of Absence (ELOA), as college students will be encouraged to adopt this role and many attend school far from their home store, making working every 4 weeks impossible.
Please contact your hr.

I'm an ODTM. I have received no notification of this. (my last shift was 2 weeks ago) I would expect a letter, email or text sent to me regarding this with some sort of advance notice. With a 'regards line' that would be something like 'new requirements for ODTM' and the letter/email giving the official start date of when this would go into effect. I'm learning this here, now. I guess I'll be going into my store for verification. I'm one of those employees when given a task it gets done and no one needs to check on me and if I say I'm going to be there, I AM. Many times, I've gotten a phone call asking if I can come in to close and it's 5p and I go in and get it done. There are a few of us that are dedicated in this way, but I believe there will now be a few less ODTMs at our store. 😿😿

ODTMs existed and when it changed to a requirement of a 4hr shift in 6 months, it was inclusive for all .... -'to accommodate the elimination of the ELOA'- it's not ONLY for students because it doesn't say for students only. It's the way it's worded, once they lumped students into the general ODTM group and changed the expectations it would be for everyone.

Last edited:
I'm an ODTM. I have received no notification of this. (my last shift was 2 weeks ago) I would expect a letter, email or text sent to me regarding this with some sort of advance notice. With a 'regards line' that would be something like 'new requirements for ODTM' and the letter/email giving the official start date of when this would go into effect. I'm learning this here, now. I guess I'll be going into my store for verification. I'm one of those employees when given a task it gets done and no one needs to check on me and if I say I'm going to be there, I AM. Many times, I've gotten a phone call asking if I can come in to close and it's 5p and I go in and get it done. There are a few of us that are dedicated in this way, but I believe there will now be a few less ODTMs at our store. 😿😿

ODTMs existed and when it changed to a requirement of a 4hr shift in 6 months, it was inclusive for all .... -'to accommodate the elimination of the ELOA'- it's not ONLY for students because it doesn't say for students only. It's the way it's worded, once they lumped students into the general ODTM group and changed the expectations it would be for everyone.

I was thinking the same thing. I have worked twice since reading on here about the four week requirement and they haven't said anything to me about it when I was in. I am also very dependable and just do what I need to do when I am there. I also have very good numbers, so they tend to like it when I come in. It just seems like some notification about the change should have been given. When I first switched to OD, the HR told me I had to work once every 3 months. I learned about the 6 week thing on here. I had talked to my ETL back in January when there were no shifts available and I was concerned about the system automatically terminating me if I didn't pick up a shift in 6 weeks. He said that I would get a letter or email before it terminated me in the system and most likely it wouldn't happen unless I didn't work for 6 months with no communication. The whole lack of communication is kind of nuts.

I was thinking the same thing. I have worked twice since reading on here about the four week requirement and they haven't said anything to me about it when I was in. I am also very dependable and just do what I need to do when I am there. I also have very good numbers, so they tend to like it when I come in. It just seems like some notification about the change should have been given. When I first switched to OD, the HR told me I had to work once every 3 months. I learned about the 6 week thing on here. I had talked to my ETL back in January when there were no shifts available and I was concerned about the system automatically terminating me if I didn't pick up a shift in 6 weeks. He said that I would get a letter or email before it terminated me in the system and most likely it wouldn't happen unless I didn't work for 6 months with no communication. The whole lack of communication is kind of nuts.
well I went in and asked the person who does the scheduling, our ETL, team lead and HR.. no one knows anything about this. Maybe it's store specific ??

BobSmith & He77CAT: getting the word out has been IMHO a complete and total cluster fuck. I finally got a hard copy from my HRETL after bugging her about 20 times because I too had read the 'new' policy on various TM forums but had received nothing --NOTHING --official from HQ in Workday, or email, or however....

@BobSmith @nevermind @He77CAT
Sorry if there was no communication from your store leadership and HR. It's true that they're supposed to call you and send you a certified letter to your home before terming you - and it sounds like you three pick up shifts regularly and are in no danger of being auto-termed.

In any case, I've found that even ETLs-HR don't understand the ODTM position and respective instructions.

You can find what you need on Workbench on a store computer.
When you login to the 20th screen asking you to login :p you'll be in what we call Workbench.
Use the Quick Links at the top to find "eHR" and click it.
It takes you to a very similar looking page, but it's different, trust me. Use the search bar on this page to search for "On Demand Team Member" and that's it. Hit enter.

It'll be one of the first results, "On Demand Team Member guide" and you can read all the changes there.

So I worked today and my direct ETL worked and never said anything to me about the 4 week rule, so who the hell knows. I did just log on to the app and saw that I randomly am scheduled for a shift the exact same hours I worked today for a day in a few weeks. I didn't take the shift on my own, but it is one I am pretty sure I can work, so I will just leave it for now and see if it stays on.

So I worked today and my direct ETL worked and never said anything to me about the 4 week rule, so who the hell knows. I did just log on to the app and saw that I randomly am scheduled for a shift the exact same hours I worked today for a day in a few weeks. I didn't take the shift on my own, but it is one I am pretty sure I can work, so I will just leave it for now and see if it stays on.
well it's official...(in case you haven't seen or gotten the email), I did get an email yesterday (8April2023 730a) and it does state one shift of 4 hrs every month but if you have circumstances that don't allow you to do this that there are exceptions. The opening paragraph is written so poorly that I thought it doesn't make sense maybe I'm tired, read it to my husband and he said, "what are they talking about?" and I reread it today and still ---WOW 🤣 There are a couple of links in that email and of course neither one of them are working links.. we have been given a 1 day notice because it starts at the same time as the increase to ODTM base pay which is today. (9th of Apr.) The next paragraph starts with "In Addition" and it introduces the new requirements for hours to be worked.

It's a good thing I can read and understand nonsense .. it states that the 1 shift every 6 weeks (which is an error because it was every 6 months) (following is copied from email)

•To help keep our On-Demand TMs engaged, On-Demand TM shift frequency expectations have been updated from one shift (minimum of four hours) every six weeks to one shift every four weeks.
o Flexibility can be granted if you are unable to work once every 4 weeks due to a personal circumstance, but you are required to respond to our attempts to contact you to confirm your ability and interest in working shifts at Target. We will contact you (via your provided contact information) and if we do not receive a response your employment with Target will be administratively terminated. You must work at least one shift within 6 months or you will be systematically terminated. 

so our hours within about a year went from 1 shift every 3 months to a 6 month window and now 1 shift every 4 weeks.. (smh) I'm thinking that Target is really having an issue of keeping employees.

Last edited:
@BobSmith @nevermind @He77CAT
Sorry if there was no communication from your store leadership and HR. It's true that they're supposed to call you and send you a certified letter to your home before terming you - and it sounds like you three pick up shifts regularly and are in no danger of being auto-termed.

In any case, I've found that even ETLs-HR don't understand the ODTM position and respective instructions.

You can find what you need on Workbench on a store computer.
When you login to the 20th screen asking you to login :p you'll be in what we call Workbench.
Use the Quick Links at the top to find "eHR" and click it.
It takes you to a very similar looking page, but it's different, trust me. Use the search bar on this page to search for "On Demand Team Member" and that's it. Hit enter.

It'll be one of the first results, "On Demand Team Member guide" and you can read all the changes there.
20h screen got me laughing thank you !!

Can you go back to being a regular TM if you decide you don’t want to be on demand anymore?

I was told by my sd that once you go on demand, you become a permanent on demand team member and that you can’t be switched back to a regular team member… want to verify if what he said is true.

Last edited:
I love the part about responding to their attempts to contact you.

I have emailed both my ETL and several different HR people for asking about shifts when I was getting close to the 6 weeks and there were no hours available and when I have been put on a shift without my taking it on the app. I NEVER get a response. I don't understand how tough it is to take 5 minutes and respond.

I love being On-Demand but I might have to give it up if it changes much more.

Can you go back to being a regular TM if you decide you don’t want to be on demand anymore?

I was told by my sd that once you go on demand, you become a permanent on demand team member and that you can’t be switched back to a regular team member… want to verify if what he said is true.
Not true. If they have room for you, you can switch back.

Editing to add that Los Angeles, California stores also cannot participate now due to the LA Fair Workweek Ordinance. City of Los Angeles only. Not the entire Los Angeles County.

Anyone else (ODTM), seem to be scrambling for hours now?? Since over half my TMs haven't/won't use MyTime, I went in to see if we had a place that I would be able to post a note to my TMs that was offering my services to work a few hours between certain hours, and I was told I couldn't post it. (I was thinking of putting it on the breakroom fridge or maybe there was a bulletin board I could use but I was told I couldn't.) My note was handed over to the ETL who also does scheduling. I also have approached TMs and told them that if they need a day off or if they need a partial shift covered to reach out to me. So not for a lack of trying but I may not be able to get hours before my 4 weeks is up. I guess I may be unemployed this time next month.

I don't think they're required to let you go if you don't work every 4 weeks, they just can. If you can't get a shift in that time, then hopefully your management won't make that your fault, since you clearly are trying to get a shift.

Unless they just want to get rid of all the ODTMs, and unfortunately there's not much you can do about it if they are.

Absolutely! Target would rather convert an already trained ODTM to regular before externally hiring to fill a position. They should always be looking to promote ODTMs to regular before hiring someone new

Back