Archived The real honest truth about hours

• Thread starter Ludwig3
  • Start date
  • Replies 47
  • Views 6K
Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes down to it, you hurt the team overall by reducing the hours of the so called terrible employees. people get burned out.

I don't understand how you hurt the business by writing GREAT schedules? If you look at your work center as your business, then writing the schedule becomes VERY easy. Given the number hours available for work centers right now, then I am going to schedule the MOST productive, fast, fun , friendly TM's that I have. If you don't fall into that "productive" category then you are coached/counseled as needed. You will get a chance to prove your change when the hours improve. The truth hurts. There are good and there are bad. If you think you are deserving of everything that you think you are then either prove it to me OR here is your reality check. I am fair and honest when it comes to performance.

I don't understand how you hurt the business by writing GREAT schedules? If you look at your work center as your business, then writing the schedule becomes VERY easy. Given the number hours available for work centers right now, then I am going to schedule the MOST productive, fast, fun , friendly TM's that I have. If you don't fall into that "productive" category then you are coached/counseled as needed. You will get a chance to prove your change when the hours improve. The truth hurts. There are good and there are bad. If you think you are deserving of everything that you think you are then either prove it to me OR here is your reality check. I am fair and honest when it comes to performance.

Its a tough game to play... If you start scheduling based off of who is productive and who isn't, you will start getting unproductive TMs calling the "not fair and consistent" card... and the productive TMs will feel like they are always getting workloads dumped on them because they can get it done, and that there is nothing being done about the poor performers!

Its a tough game to play... If you start scheduling based off of who is productive and who isn't, you will start getting unproductive TMs calling the "not fair and consistent" card... and the productive TMs will feel like they are always getting workloads dumped on them because they can get it done, and that there is nothing being done about the poor performers!

I think that productive employees are more likely to feel anger when they work their butts off and get the same number of hours as Charlie No-Show and Sandy Slacker. Who cares what they think? They know that they need improvement. Call it incentive. Hours equal money. That's what they're working so hard for - not to get a little attaboy card posted on the wall. Show the appreciation where it counts - on the paycheck.

If they cut your hours, you can always pick up shifts or seek cross training.... Having a good attitude will keep you off the troublemaker list. If you just take the hours that they give you and don't attempt to do anything about it, you probably didn't really want/need the extra hours anyway...

I think that productive employees are more likely to feel anger when they work their butts off and get the same number of hours as Charlie No-Show and Sandy Slacker. Who cares what they think? They know that they need improvement. Call it incentive. Hours equal money. That's what they're working so hard for - not to get a little attaboy card posted on the wall. Show the appreciation where it counts - on the paycheck.

The way we reward TMs is through the annual review process, not through scheduled hours.

I have to agree!
I was a productive tm as they say ,and was closing every night I worked ,every weekend ( I would mostly be in SL ,shoes ,infant ,boy ,girl and sometimes had to either do C9 or jewelry ,while the other 2 TM had each one area women or men) .I kept telling etl and stl ,I can't close every night ,while the slackers would be off every weekend and every night and have the same amount hours !!!! I simply quit !!!!
I am back now, on flow team ,but new stl and new et l and new hr are trying to get me to change my availability ,promising more hours ( i still get over 30hrs a week now ) ,the last time hr asked me if i could close one day a week ,i refused!!!! i usually am off on weekends.
Plano tl is trying to get me on her team ,but stl said no ,stl has a plan for me!
I am borderline OCD ,everything has to be in order ,I am in charge right now of the transition ,plano tm love me ,everything is organized ,tagged etc ( when time allows I even organize the repacks)

The second time around working at target ,I feel more in charge !

I have to agree!
I was a productive tm as they say ,and was closing every night I worked ,every weekend ( I would mostly be in SL ,shoes ,infant ,boy ,girl and sometimes had to either do C9 or jewelry ,while the other 2 TM had each one area women or men) .I kept telling etl and stl ,I can't close every night ,while the slackers would be off every weekend and every night and have the same amount hours !!!! I simply quit !!!!
I am back now, on flow team ,but new stl and new et l and new hr are trying to get me to change my availability ,promising more hours ( i still get over 30hrs a week now ) ,the last time hr asked me if i could close one day a week ,i refused!!!! i usually am off on weekends.
Plano tl is trying to get me on her team ,but stl said no ,stl has a plan for me!
I am borderline OCD ,everything has to be in order ,I am in charge right now of the transition ,plano tm love me ,everything is organized ,tagged etc ( when time allows I even organize the repacks)

The second time around working at target ,I feel more in charge !

Don't you love how they "have a plan for you" but don't let you in on the plan?

They have plans ,but no promises !!!! I have a pretty good idea what it is ,but that would mean dethroning 2 tms and get their fix hours !!
Frankly I could care less! I have enough hours !
It seems at my store ,the ones looking for more hours do not get any ( they don't actually work ,they simply show up) ,and the ones ( formely stay at home moms with school aged kids like I am,who just need to get out the house)get more hours ,but we work our butts off!

Don't you love how they "have a plan for you" but don't let you in on the plan?

yeah, maybe find a way to vaguely state that you also have things planned for your etl-hr and stl, of course don't make any threats, but just say things that make it sound like you have these elaborate schemes and you are taking steps to implement them.

exact opposite here, they give the crappy people, who are obviously paid less more hours and the great workers get little to none. And they wonder why our BR scores have gone to ****

This is what I was getting at. You give people who bust their asses less for more and the poor performance types more for less. Exactly how does this make any sense?

100% agree with you. and bp actually states under hrzone you do not cut a tm hours based on performance, it should be equal across the board. besides, schedule them more, get more chances to get rid of them.

This is exactly the company's mentality. Everyone should be scheduled the same amount of hours, unless a team member is cross-trained and can be scheduled in two or more work centers. The belief is that if a team member is not performing at a high level, then a coaching, counseling, etc. is warranted. All team members should be working at a very high level. If they are not, it is up to leadership (usually the team lead) to get them up to speed. If they don't, then the team lead is to be coached, etc.

Remember, in this politically correct society, fairness is everyone working equal hours!

This is an HR issue, and should be reported to the ETL-HR or Hotline. I would suggest talking with the HR first thought. We give team members hours based on the fact that we employ them, not because they work hard, or don't work hard. Most of the time, people don't work hard because A - They don't feel like they are doing a good job i.e. An executive slashes their hours based on performance (unethical) and B - The team member has not given the right tools i.e. feedback on their performance. In cases where a team member does not perform, PDDs will be submitted, and it goes down the road of CCA if performance is not improved. The ETL should not be giving a team member less hours, they should be focusing on that TMs development. Giving them less hours is a great way to cut corners, be lazy, and not do the right thing.

Bottom Line - Not ethical.

It's all about ethics and doing the right thing. If you do the wrong thing you could get sued and lose MONEY. LOSING MONEY IS BAD, BUT IT"S not ALL ABOUT MONEY, it's about ethics, and doing the right thing!!!!

I have to differ with a few of you on here, but I can respect your position on this subject. I do have a question for you though: If you give 2 TMs the same hours, but one is obviously an under-performer and is an inefficient use of payroll, and through untold hours of coaching and motivation just can't seem to get that "hustle" that you need, then how do you deal with them at that point?

term them. That's what any other company I've worked at would do.

They wouldn't play targets game of make them quit but don't fire them and let them maybe win unemployment.

I have to differ with a few of you on here, but I can respect your position on this subject. I do have a question for you though: If you give 2 TMs the same hours, but one is obviously an under-performer and is an inefficient use of payroll, and through untold hours of coaching and motivation just can't seem to get that "hustle" that you need, then how do you deal with them at that point?

I guess it depends.
Is the person a slacker who just doesn't care about the job enough to put in their best?
In that case, the answer is obvious.
Is the TM is ridiculously thorough and meticulous, unwilling to go faster because they want to make sure they do the job correctly?
Maybe you want to find them something they can do that plays to their strengths, rather than loose someone who might make a very good TM if you could just use them correctly.

I'd take their coachings to the next level..... I always feel horrible and hate to manage peoples performance but we as leaders have to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Even if we take that poor performer down to 15 hours a week from lets say 30. Aren't they still going to be a poor performer? So hence, your not dealing with the situation, your just setting it aside to a point where you won't have to deal with it, right?

Depending on the area, find out which area the team member excels at and likes. If you stick someone in baby food/diaper aisles that absolutely hates that area how fast or good do you think they will zone or stock it? But if they really like H&B, are quick and know the area like the back of their hand which in turn makes them faster,put them there. Obviously you can't do this everyday depending on the workload and the people you have. I have a team member that I "thought" was slow in grocery. Stupid me, when I started to work side by side with her to see what was slowing her down I found out that she was rotating and FIFOing every piece. I will take the extra little bit of time she used over a slam, bam it's stocked maam team member any day. Sometimes a team member simply needs to know that you do value them and they are not simply a body used to stock/zone. Great Team Cards are fine but a really sincere "good job" is sometimes even better. If you don't care about them, why would they care about the job they are doing for you? To simply stop giving them hours is avoiding the issue.

Knowing your tm's is a key. Know the areas which they are strong in. Support them with training & gs. Patience is req'd.
Don't give up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back