Archived "The Struggle"

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this day and age, it's tough to get by without internet. And even if you abstained from internet or cable of any kind, it's still pretty much impossible to support yourself on minimum wage. I paid $80 for internet when I was living in a huge, huge city, where the cost of living was staggering. When it's tough to get a decent, safe one bedroom for under a thousand a month, $80 extra bucks doesn't help much.

Urban dictionary:
Trolling: Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.

Struggle to see the trolling on my part. I could make the case that by asking me if I am "trolling much" you are in fact trolling yourself =)

But no I am not trying to be a prick it is an honest question. Or maybe a possible wake up call? I work a fulltime job (that pays around what an ETL starting out makes) and work a day or two at Target as well to be able to afford my cable and internet. I just know that if I was in a situation where I couldn't afford a new shirt that cost $9 or 10 bucks from Walmart which some on here claim that I would not be paying for internet. That is why I asked what people are doing for internet. It's a great and awesome thing this here internet but you surely do not need it to survive especially if you can not afford basis necessities of life.

Nope not trolling not even close. It was the nice reply.

Dude, check that post, it can be taken really wrong.

If you got kids, I remember about a year ago, Tony Dungy was doing commercials for one of the big internet providers (Comcast or Verizion, I think), where they would offer deeply discounted internet prices to low income families with school-aged children. Service is probably only slightly better than late 90's-era AOL, but it's probably something worth checking out if you qualify.

If you got kids, I remember about a year ago, Tony Dungy was doing commercials for one of the big internet providers (Comcast or Verizion, I think), where they would offer deeply discounted internet prices to low income families with school-aged children. Service is probably only slightly better than late 90's-era AOL, but it's probably something worth checking out if you qualify.
Comcast has to for $9.95 as part of their agreement for their buying NBC.

Here is the problem. If you are a current Comcast customer.... Well, you can't get it until you pay full price for 3 months. If you are on a promotional offer you can't get it/switch.

Because, you know, you obviously don't need it because you have been paying your bill. It was one of those open-month-conversations (with an executive team rep even). They are still an evil company to deal with, and I'd rather have my $40/mo package with decent speed.

But if you kids qualify for free lunch you should be able to get it if you have comcast in your area.

There is an additional crappy side to it, but I really don't want to hear the backlash when I post that... So I won't.

Go easy on the OP, he was asking a good question. Everyone make decisions that turn out good or bad. At least, is trying pay off bills & better themselves. I have been poor before & decided to do without any luxuries. I got a 2nd job to help me out too. Once I caught up on bills, I started to budget stuff. I found great deals on low price internet & grab one.
The real answer is on internet is, The Breakroom! This is where tm's on talk about stuff & spot.

I wouldn't say the OP is trolling, he raises a good point. If you really cannot make ends meet, you should drop your internet or at least go to cheap dialup. You NEED food, clothes, housing. You DO NOT NEED high speed internet to survive!! You could drop your internet altogether and just go to the local library.

and just go to the local library.

Support your local libraries! People seriously underestimate the services they offer beyond book borrowing these days, and despite the ever-increasing demand for such services, public libraries continue to get cut in municipal and county budgets.

Absolutely.
We need all the support you can give.
And you will find they offer all kinds of services that you might not expect from the library.
We have a twice a month seminar on finding jobs which includes resume writing, interview skills and how to figure out what a company is actually looking for.
I help run a writers workshop.

We have free wifi and computers you can use.
If you need to do research there are very smart people who are trained to help you.
Seriously, go to the library.
And if there is a bond measure for libraries vote for it.

I wouldn't say the OP is trolling, he raises a good point. If you really cannot make ends meet, you should drop your internet or at least go to cheap dialup. You NEED food, clothes, housing. You DO NOT NEED high speed internet to survive!! You could drop your internet altogether and just go to the local library.

But how does the OP know what sort of internet anyone here is useing? He just assumed people made bad choices and picked an expensive service over somthing cheap. Its just like the iphone example, how did he know that the people he was judgeing spent money they did not have on an expensive iphone? It could have been a cheap phone or a gift or hey maybe they bought it when they had a $50k a year salary job a year and times were better.

My issue here is that people seem to think that lack of money is lack of morals and good judgement.

Wanna hear something fucking hilarious? Vintage is trendy, so second hand stores are becoming more expensive as upper middle class buy up that shit pushing the rest of us back.

Internet is chump change in many places if you have roommates, so dropping it is idiotic. Its a bandaid on a slashed artery. I pay 20$ a month to have constant access for work/school/social purposes. I even manage on bad months to reduce my grocery to 20$ a week, which is usually garbage food that offers very little nutrition.

Food is more expensive, ergo it has a more important priority when it comes to budget. Did you know that dumpster diving will save you hundreds of dollars? Heck, why aren't we pushing that instead of 10-20$ a month on internet?

Couple of gal pals & I would take a day off to go thrifting, hitting all the second-hand stores. It's where I found back-to-school clothes for the boys & a nice dress for myself (half-off days at nifty thrifty).
We had coupons for BOGO at the local burger place so we did lunch.
Husband cashed in a truck-load of aluminum. That & a coupon let us pick up pizza one night for the boys.
When the cheap dial-up promo ended & husband called to cancel, the guy extended the offer so we wouldn't jump ship.
Takes a lot of work but resourcefulness has its rewards.
Even then, sometimes it's just not enough.

I have internet because I do graduate work entirely online. Not entirely practical for me to find somewhere with wi-fi when I want to work on stuff at 11 pm. A year and a half ago I had to make a decision to get a new car. My old one was going to cost more than it was worth to fix. I was able to get a decent deal on a lease. Yes I live close to public transportation but it isn't always 100% reliable in this area and doesn't run early enough for me to work morning shifts, and doesn't run late enough for me to get home from late shifts.

I have cut back on random spending and buying a ton of junk food.

I also have three dogs to take care of. If I have to forego buying something for myself so they can have something they need I will. Often I keep an eye out for sales and coupons and buy stuff when it's cheaper even if I don't need it right then. We also get their shots from a low-cost clinic one of the shelters in the area offers several times a year.

I refuse to pay full-price for clothing. There better be some sort of sale, promotion, or clearance going on. Otherwise I hit up goodwill.

I am working to get out of Spot, as many of you know. I will eventually be landing that dream job and getting away and getting my own place.

When I was laid off, I was in graduate school and had to figure out how to remain in school and find a job that would pay a living wage. Eventually I ended up moving in with a church member and I am only being charged for the increase in utilities. Because there was already internet access, I don't have to pay for it.

Everyone's situation is different.

Sign Kitty-

To answer your question or main complaint about what I have said. I was their team leader. I watched them stand outside after their shifts to purchase the new phones or gaming systems. I would hear them talking about going to their shoe guy at Foot Locker. I do know people do get things as gifts. I know its not everyone and there are honest people out their struggling. I feel like the ones who are struggling and giving it their all and doing everything in their power to succeed are not the ones who complain about their struggle to everyone within ear shot. They are the ones who put their head down and get stuff done.

Like I have said all along its not my intention to piss anyone off. Maybe I had a little tough love in my initial message, I did re-read it after all of the negative backlash I received and it did come off wrong.

I understand this forum is an escape a place to relieve some stress of the day in and day out struggles we face as Target employees and maybe I was just having a bad night?

I still do stand by my point and hope people are making the correct choices. I know there are those who are doing in the right way on this forum. I also do know there are some on this forum who fit into the category of wasteful with their expenses and if they truly wanted a better life they should put that money to good use and not just the latest and greatest.

To some others points though. To each their own but don't moan and grown about not earning enough money when you are not doing anything to try and better yourself.

su.jpg

I pay about $37 a month (taxes included) for Comcast Internet Service. Due to some, clause in my contract, this lady came by my door 5/6 years ago, saying I qualified for "Free" basic tv service in one room, so, I have a basic cable box, and an accompanying tv for it. The service is actually pretty fast, and I don't mind having basic tv channels, when I'm extremely bored.

I dropped Netflix, because I was shocked by the ever-so shrinking collection. Tried Hulu Plus, and canceled after the free Trial. I just watch stuff "on-demand" from my cable box, which actually has a wonderful selection, or download whatever it is, online.

I don't really even have time to watch tv. I'd imagine, I spend 2 hours max a week, if that, watching whatever. :) Internet on the other hand, I don't think I could go without hearing from all of you :p lol.

Same here, @HardlinesFour! I could go without TV, but I must have Internet, otherwise I couldn't do my job or finish my class work.

I have a bundle with Charter for TV, phone, and internet. They just doubled my internet speed and saved me $20/month on the bill!

I could get dialup for free. I pay $29.99 a month for 25 mbps down and 5 mbps up. I could also leech my neighbors wifi for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back