Archived The "Vent about all the crazy shit that happened during your shift" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to work at your store. A flow team that get shit done sounds magical. Yesterday we made unload goal for the first time in a long while instead of finishing 10 minutes after and none of our trucks are over 2200 right now. I don't know what is going on; we'll haul ass for half a truck then suddenly it crashes to a halt.

We typically finish unload 5 to 15 minutes early. A very good team. As back of the line, I always try to guide the front of the line on where to drop stuff and they are very responsive. Plus, the young un's haul ass. I do my job well but my age is catching up with me a bit. It also helps that the TL and LOD will jump in wherever needed to keep things moving. I respect them for that.

I am so sick of management not making other teams take responsibility for their inaction, but instead blame me and the TM I close with for failing to pick up their slack.

Take today for instance. Instocks left 20+ batches for us to pull AND push. Ended up being about two tubs and several flats.

Do they get talked to for not finding time to push their own shit? No. Instead we get yelled at for not being able to find time to push what they left behind, on top of everything else we had to do today.

We end up being forced to try and pickup the slack of both Flow and Instocks, and get reprimanded when two people can't do the job of three teams.

Christ on a biscuit. This is ridiculous...

I talked to my TL today and his response was 'I know it's stressful, but I know you guys will get it done. But if you don't, I understand, because it's a lot. But if I think you can get it done, it should get done.'
This is the same. TL who can't even get his team to want to stay late and finish pushing truck.

As shitty as his viewpoint may be, everyone else just gets flat out mad when we don't come clean.

PullMonkey come to my store, In-Stocks batches are the first ones pushed. Why? Cause that shit is empty. We rarely leave batches for anyone to push. I am grateful to those who do have to help me. Mostly big heavy crap on weekends I need help with.

Today though a shit show. Remodel people left shit everywhere. Our STL is way over her head and has no control of the place.

Does instocks push their own batches? Or does the backroom.
I wouldn't mind having to do it if we simply had more people to close backroom. But when it's just me, it's a bit impossible

Yeah, sure looks that way.

I have no problem pulling the batches. That doesn't take long. But our instocks team just stays on the floor and scans until the very end. Then it's just 'Oh, look, we have to leave now. Sorrynotsorry'

HAHAHAHA! Pullmonkey, that's exactly how Instocks does it at my store. I love how they put in a giant stray or two giant stray research batches at 330pm and then they're gone.

So, today, a co-worker called out and I was in charge of all housewares/domestics and home improvement. My shift was 1145-745. I was pushing multiple CAFs (3 tubs, 2 flats) and zoning at the same time. The LOD/ETL at the beginning of my shift was like, you're the only one there the entire day until closing, and I'm coming in tomorrow at 5am, so I hope your zone holds until then. I've been hearing good things about you (I've only been there ~3 weeks), so I'm sure you can do it. Talk about pressure!

HAHAHAHA! Pullmonkey, that's exactly how Instocks does it at my store. I love how they put in a giant stray or two giant stray research batches at 330pm and then they're gone.

I will say we have that happen and its the system. We scan until 11am when the CAF rounds start. We have had a batch not drop until stupid late and we were pushing for hours at that point.

Some stores have just no clue how it is really done.

I am so sick of management not making other teams take responsibility for their inaction, but instead blame me and the TM I close with for failing to pick up their slack.

Take today for instance. Instocks left 20+ batches for us to pull AND push. Ended up being about two tubs and several flats.

Do they get talked to for not finding time to push their own shit? No. Instead we get yelled at for not being able to find time to push what they left behind, on top of everything else we had to do today.

We end up being forced to try and pickup the slack of both Flow and Instocks, and get reprimanded when two people can't do the job of three teams.

Christ on a biscuit. This is ridiculous...

I talked to my TL today and his response was 'I know it's stressful, but I know you guys will get it done. But if you don't, I understand, because it's a lot. But if I think you can get it done, it should get done.'
This is the same. TL who can't even get his team to want to stay late and finish pushing truck.

As shitty as his viewpoint may be, everyone else just gets flat out mad when we don't come clean.

Dont you just love people who only get to open or are there earlier. Dont have to really deal with any guests. I would say MAYBE 25% of our sales come during the time the opening team is there. Can just work and leave whatever doesnt get finished for the night team or the next day

Yeah, sure looks that way.

I have no problem pulling the batches. That doesn't take long. But our instocks team just stays on the floor and scans until the very end. Then it's just 'Oh, look, we have to leave now. Sorrynotsorry'

So glad my instocks team stops scanning to push out EVERYTHING. Sometime there might be one thing left to push but it usually just gets pushed along with the CAFS

Dont you just love people who only get to open or are there earlier. Dont have to really deal with any guests. I would say MAYBE 25% of our sales come during the time the opening team is there. Can just work and leave whatever doesnt get finished for the night team or the next day

Umm. Dude. Not all of us. Our store is crazy busy at 10am during the week. Chaos is my game. Three guests and a phone call across the store? Yeah not a problem.

Honestly, I have no idea what goes through ETLs/TLs minds when they do the schedules/daily grids. I'm hardlines, but 95% of the time, I'm housewares/domestics (incl home improvement) and in my store, that's between 100-125 aisles. They call this the "L" block and they only schedule one person at a time for this. And this section has the most amount of pushes per day in my store. Today, I had 4 tubs and 3 flats (average day is 2 tubs, 1 flat) and not to mention 2-3 carts of go-backs and on top of that, I have to zone because most of the time, I'm scheduled CLOSE (b/w 6-9p) to closing so I have to make it "look" good.

I was off at 830p tonight, at 810p, I was putting boxes at the baler and the LOD was like.. "just keep working on the line" (knowing full well he just asked me an hour ago what time I get off)... I'm like.. I'm off in 20 minutes... he's like... oh okay. He walks out... I yell for him and ask him if he just wants me to zone.. and he's like... yeah, that sounds good.

I come back tomorrow at 10am. I'm like 95% sure I'm back at the same section (I hope so, because I know it like the back of my hand) and I can just pick up the zone where I left off.

Good thing for today though... my STL gave me a "high-five" for doing such great work. And it was the first time she acknowledged me by name without seeing her eye glance at my name tag.

I do not like working in electronics at all. I don't know anything useful about the expensive stuff over there and since instocks stopped scanning entertainment I can't find any movies or books a customer is looking for without a lot of fiddling with an iPod. Yet somehow I end up being one of the few people who answers calls for backup over there. It gets kind of stressful sometimes, trying to fumble my way through helping people when my knowledge is pretty much reading what's on the sale sign or packaging.

But hey, managed to sell an attachment on an iPad Air 2 today! It was a screen cover for another tablet the customer already owns but whatever. Yaaay.

I was doing go-backs earlier today and as usual, it wasn't sorted. I'm usually domestics/housewares, so I saved the "others" till the end. I went over to Market/Home Storage/Etc and this lady stops me asking for help looking for a squeegee. A TM told her it would be in cleaning supplies, but she couldn't find it, so I told her a place I know would have - the housewares gadget wall. So we walk ALLLLL the way over there. And then she sees it, and goes - "oh, I forgot to tell you that I need something larger than that and with a longer handle since I'll be using it to clean house windows." So, I ask another TM (I'm new) and he suggests automotive, so, off we walk BACK where we started from. But, on the way back, she starts telling me about her friend who bought a new mattress with bed bugs. And I spend the next 30 minutes hearing this story. And the funny thing is, she prefaced it with, "to make a long story short" - I can only imagine how long the unabridged version would be.

She was a nice lady though, with a nice proper british accent. Sometimes, I wonder if I could say - hey, you liked my service, fill out this card! Or go and get one to fill out. Is that apropos?

I wouldnt consider this crazy but more embarrassing: I was asking guests "Can I help you find something ma'am and or sir". I approached someone female clothes and female hair. I asked this person CIHYFSM and they turned around it looked to be a man with masculine looking face (had an adams apple) with breasts. Thing is, not that it matters, the face on that person looked to be in their 50s or later.

Never say to a customer sir or ma'am, that is my 2 cents

I second this. I've learned this lesson too the hard way. How did that guest react to you? I've gotten "I'M NOT A SIR, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!" screamed into my face. Didn't take long for me to change my cihyfs.

Guest left her bag on Friday night. I yell out, "Ma'am!" She finally turns around and comes back. Says to me, "You could have said 'lady'; I don't respond to 'ma'am'." I furrow my brow and hand her her bag. "You have a wonderful evening, ma'am." WTF? I'm not going to say "HEY LADY." That sounds rude as fuck.

Guest left her bag on Friday night. I yell out, "Ma'am!" She finally turns around and comes back. Says to me, "You could have said 'lady'; I don't respond to 'ma'am'." I furrow my brow and hand her her bag. "You have a wonderful evening, ma'am." WTF? I'm not going to say "HEY LADY." That sounds rude as fuck.

I was doing go-backs earlier today and as usual, it wasn't sorted. I'm usually domestics/housewares, so I saved the "others" till the end. I went over to Market/Home Storage/Etc and this lady stops me asking for help looking for a squeegee. A TM told her it would be in cleaning supplies, but she couldn't find it, so I told her a place I know would have - the housewares gadget wall. So we walk ALLLLL the way over there. And then she sees it, and goes - "oh, I forgot to tell you that I need something larger than that and with a longer handle since I'll be using it to clean house windows." So, I ask another TM (I'm new) and he suggests automotive, so, off we walk BACK where we started from. But, on the way back, she starts telling me about her friend who bought a new mattress with bed bugs. And I spend the next 30 minutes hearing this story. And the funny thing is, she prefaced it with, "to make a long story short" - I can only imagine how long the unabridged version would be.

She was a nice lady though, with a nice proper british accent. Sometimes, I wonder if I could say - hey, you liked my service, fill out this card! Or go and get one to fill out. Is that apropos?
The other one is located with mops in chemicals.

They pulled me from my register today,,,,,, to take my picture

Ain't crazy compared to all this, but god damn that threw me off

Team Player/Hero whatever the hell they called it and me...y'all crazy

Also Im mortified of pictures and practically begged them to reconsider taking it to no avail...

They pulled me from my register today,,,,,, to take my picture

Ain't crazy compared to all this, but god damn that threw me off

Team Player/Hero whatever the hell they called it and me...y'all crazy

Also Im mortified of pictures and practically begged them to reconsider taking it to no avail...
You did a great job on the floor!

The other one is located with mops in chemicals.

Yeah, I looked there first with her. I didn't see it (didn't look at the tags) so I guess we were out. She was happy with the squeegee I found for her in automotive.

But man, I never foresaw spending 30 minutes with a guest for such a simple thing. It was 'fine' because I was like 45 minutes late for a break, but what about if I'm due for lunch? I just feel so rude that I have to go, especially to older British ladies.

No, old lady shopping in infants. The stuff on my cart is NOT marked yet. NO the clearance racks are not going any lower. No i cant make an exception. No, not even if you were going to spend a lot. No, i will not check the brand new christmas sweater to see if its going clearance. No i still havent marked those clothes yet becauze youve been harassing me.

Im suddenly feeling hungry im going to go to lunch and hide my cart in a different department. Lady follows me to the next department and hands me a bunch of stuff to scan lower.... THIS ISNT THE WAY IT WORKS GRANDMA!! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back