Archived The "Vent about all the crazy shit that happened during your shift" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having so many people scheduled in your department that you're practically tripping over them and are forced to hand out "super zoning" tasks to keep them all busy. >< One TM goes "I love it when we are staffed like this"... all I could do not to growl at her. :p

Omg. Today was crazy. I had to do 6 end caps. And fill our entire 2 focal points in domestics/home. Did a batch, back room was too busy to pull it. I'm only 2 months in, why am I in charge of doing this? My ETL-HR came up to me and was like, I trust you to pull from the all home locations to make it look nice.

My only gripe right now is how long it takes to get cash brought to my register. I put in a request for 10's and 5's. It took a total of two hours and me flashing my light with a guest short changed to get their attention that I needed money. When I went on my last break I made sure to let my cover know that I needed quarters, and was quite pleased to come back to a slot filled to the brim with them.

But yesterday was a good day. I usually vibe the crap out of my guests that come through the lanes, including at the very least attempting to use a coupon that the printer spits out at me if they have the item in their purchase. The guests usually are thrilled with it. I also love talking about the carthweel app. Well, first, a guest was trying to bring up her Cartwheel app, but our store's internet is being a douche and it wasn't working. I brought out my phone and pulled it up for her and used it, which made her day. Then, I used a $4 off coupon the printer spat at me on a couple's purchase [it was for a brand of hair color I had just scanned] and they were incredibly happy about it. So much so that they asked my name [I'm still stuck with a New Team Member badge for whatever reason]. I told them, and they thanked me using my name. I really sincerely hope they filled out a guest card or told the GSA's upfront.

This morning, the LOD had me make sure housewares/domestics was fully stocked with sale items so I scanned each sale sign and pulled all and asked BR to pull it. It was 5 tubs, I was too busy in furniture and our focal points to push those pulls. LOD had to pull other SF TM to push them; I felt bad. Also our signing team didn't do any of the sale signs for the furniture so I had to print them out. I also had to print them out for the end caps. Needless to say, I'm now an expert in printing labels. A BR TM saw me coming out the fixture room with labels and he's like... They come from there? I thought they were mailed.

A BR TM saw me coming out the fixture room with labels and he's like... They come from there? I thought they were mailed.

He must be new lol. Only the label strips are sent from corporate; individual labels are printed in-store. Most sale signs come from HQ as well, but some (like the ones you printed) are printed by store TMs.

If you ever need to print a single label and don't want to waste an entire sheet of label paper, you can use a portable printer instead. The only drawback is that the labels sometimes come out blurry and won't scan on the MyDevice.

Helping a backroom TM get down off a wave stuck in the air.

Ladder was needed cause the switches to drop it were not working. I could not find the valve i thought there was to drop it.

Admittedly since I don't use the wave I don't know the tricks to get it down.

That was my craziness from the weekend. Although the TM was happy I came to help even if we couldn't get the Wave down.

To his defense, we're both new. He was in my orientation group.nWe're only 2 months in. I barely learned how to make labels. My SrTL just said make them on his way to lunch; I had to ask another TM for help. Signing team didn't anything for domestics/housewares. Had to learn to print those on top of flexes on our focal displays.

Helping a backroom TM get down off a wave stuck in the air.

Ladder was needed cause the switches to drop it were not working. I could not find the valve i thought there was to drop it.

Admittedly since I don't use the wave I don't know the tricks to get it down.

That was my craziness from the weekend. Although the TM was happy I came to help even if we couldn't get the Wave down.
Lol that happened to me a few weeks ago. I was using the old POS wave because I couldn't find the other ones.

When it died, the other TM couldn't get it to come down and I was too high for a ladder, so he drove another wave over and used the manual control to lift it up to me.

Yes, but the guest still has to enter their PIN. There's no way to enter a PIN without a working card reader.
You're talking about the entire unit not working, I see. I thought you just meant that the actual reader couldn't read the strip on the back of the card.

Does anyone else's store feel like it's going to BLOW up?? The last 3 days we have been SO busy, guests, phone calls, Indymes and of course back up calls to the front lanes! We have hired SO many seasonal people (and we're STILL hiring) HOW can we always be SO short handed?? It won't be long before the seasonals just get fed up and stop coming in. It seems like everyone I talked to is stressed out and FED up. The best part is that it's just early December. I just keep thinking what it's going to be like closer to Christmas when guests start getting desperate to find gifts (and some of them testy/nasty) when we don't have what they want. It's going to be a shit show for sure!
Good God, yes. It was bad in my store yesterday. All registers open and lines extending into softlines. Our sales goal was projected to be in the high 100k range yesterday but I think we surpassed that.

AND THEN MyGo crashed yesterday afternoon for about 40 minutes. That sucked since I was at the SD.

Good God, yes. It was bad in my store yesterday. All registers open and lines extending into softlines. Our sales goal was projected to be in the high 100k range yesterday but I think we surpassed that.

AND THEN MyGo crashed yesterday afternoon for about 40 minutes. That sucked since I was at the SD.

When MyGO crashed, it wasn't too bad for us. Everybody who it effected was reasonably cool with it and I was able to find their items in the hold location with order inquiry and just took their name, checked them out on a register, and cancelled their order when the system came back up.

When MyGO crashed, it wasn't too bad for us. Everybody who it effected was reasonably cool with it and I was able to find their items in the hold location with order inquiry and just took their name, checked them out on a register, and cancelled their order when the system came back up.
We didn't have a PDA at the desk or we would have been okay. I was able to find about 5 guests' orders by looking at their orders on their phones. There was a TM at all 4 SD registers doing returns/other things so we just wrote down the guests' names and then processed their orders after MyGo came back up. Not best practice but we were able to process everyone who picked up an order.

We didn't have a PDA at the desk or we would have been okay. I was able to find about 5 guests' orders by looking at their orders on their phones. There was a TM at all 4 SD registers doing returns/other things so we just wrote down the guests' names and then processed their orders after MyGo came back up. Not best practice but we were able to process everyone who picked up an order.

Yeah we were fortunate in that there were 3 GSA's up front at the time so I was able to grab a PDA and deal with the whole ordeal instead of having to balance that and everything else in the front-end.

Lol that happened to me a few weeks ago. I was using the old POS wave because I couldn't find the other ones.

When it died, the other TM couldn't get it to come down and I was too high for a ladder, so he drove another wave over and used the manual control to lift it up to me.

We are lucky we have a few backroom isles that can't have the ladders on rails, so we have a few of the old tall ladders for them. Tall enough to reach the bottom of the wave safely. It was just funny to walk in the back and you see as you walk in is the wave parked in the middle of the isle fully up. CAF rounds sucked cause overnight left both Waves for dead, yes we have two. The other was charging since it had to be pushed over to the charger. Stone dead. The one that got stuck didn't make it through the first round. So some stuff got burned cause you can only ladder so much. What fun on a 300k Saturday.

Also, I'm a little miffed at myself. I was asking a guest if they were interested in a Red Card and....they actually was curious about it. I didn't know what to do, and because of my craptastic verbal communication skills when I'm tripped up thanks to superb lack of face-to-face social skills, I stumbled over the information like a derp. Probably was the reason why they declined. *cries*
At least you tried! Keep it up and you will get the yes one day.!

Old dude guest came to the cafe counter today and paid for his meal with cash, fumbling through his wallet for ones and a $100 slipped out, but he caught it. Got his food, went to the table to eat. TM was behind him in line, looks down at the chips and produces a $100 bill and says "this was laying down there." Without thinking, I said "I know who that belongs to, thank you for being so honest" and went and gave it back to the old dude. And then cried inside a little bit a few minutes later, because if I had found that on a dark and lonely street, it would have solved all of my problems right now ($3.06 in my account until payday this Friday, spent $3 of that on the way home for gas to get to work tomorrow). Went home and pawned my sewing machine for $30 instead. Such is the life of honest people. He probably needs it more than I do. (But I did spend $8 of the $30 on a bottle of vodka, so there's that, lol) :/

Hoo boy I was on Hardlines and almost (actually I did) hit my 5th. Like, I was clocking in one minute before my 5th and right before I finished typing my number it went to my 5th. I went to talk to the ETL-HR and told her and she told me "oh tell the other HR the machine malfunctioned as you were clocking in and she'll fix it ;3"

I don't think I ever ran so fast when I realised my 5th was around the corner. Also guests are like red lights. When you're in a rush they're everywhere

I can't imagine hitting compliance at your 5th hour, it's 6th in my state. I am regularly within 10-20 minutes of hitting compliance, it would be terrible having to go an hour earlier.

Highlights of my first time covering receiving:
-Being told it was happening not even thirty minutes before store opens.
-Coming back to find two vendors already waiting and no clear idea how to check them in.
-Almost or maybe actually going into compliance for my meal.
-Accidentally putting a kind of wrong quantity for some product. Among other mistakes I probably made.
-The PA being a piece of shit who guesstimated the temperatures for the pallets off our three hours late FDC truck. With some help from the drivers. Let my ETL know about that little gem because going to the TL (who has yet to actually be around for a truck since consumables took over FDC) would probably be a waste of time.

And I get to go back there Friday. I can't wait. I think.

My shift was almost over and I got my first experience with a "couponer" as a GSA. She wanted to use $3 coupons on shaving gift sets even though the coupons were clearly stated for individual shaving creams. The gift sets are already buy one get one free, and she was having a fit over the cashier not accepting them and was saying she was going to just not buy anything. I know I shouldn't have, but I thought it was just 1 coupon at the time so the cashier suspended the transaction and I took over...she then hands me EIGHT coupons and expected me to accept all of them.

In the end I only accepted the original one I promised and feel I handled it the best I could, sans even accepting the damn coupon.

At least you tried! Keep it up and you will get the yes one day.!

Thanks! As a matter of fact, I got 3 today! :D

Today as a bit hectic as we had quite a few sales going on, and the system wasn't picking up a lot of them. There was one sale on girl's hair clips/bows when you buy three, and I swear, one of them rang up as a freaking NECKLACE. Like....what. I had my LOD come over and she helped me make that right, and I also took that time to let her know that the system was doing that with a ton of sale items; obvious sweaters weren't coming up with the BOGO half off deal, same with toys, LEGO sets weren't coming up that way either even though I had the ad right in front of my face, and I literally had a girl's shirt ring up as $16, when the label said $9.00. I think the systems are tired of the Holidays' bs.

Edit: I got off at 5pm. I went walking around the store to look at the sales and contemplated buying a sweater while I waited for my husband to pick me up. Bad idea, every TM I ran into was like "Did you just clock in?" or "Are you working today?" Our main HR lady was like, "And where do you think you're going?" when I flipped my light off and brought my baskets up. "I clock out in two minutes!" I say. "You sure about that? ;)" She chides. "Yup!" *disappears into the back to clock out, comes out to total madness at the front lanes*

Why does it seem every time I go on a break or go to leave for the day when I'm cashering, that the front lanes get immediately slammed super hard?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back