Archived The "Vent about all the crazy shit that happened during your shift" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I come back from my weekend off to find:
-The pallet of beer dropped off by a vendor last Wednesday is still sitting there, untouched.
-A flatbed of salvage and a half-started salvage pallet twenty feet away.
-A pile of Sterilite right in front of my desk. Its from Saturday's 6am CAFs!
-No PDA for the first 30-4o minutes. Pretty sure everyone's radio stops working when I say anything. It took the PMT going on the radio for anybody to respond then all of a sudden there's 3 PDAs up for grabs! Including one from price change's super special stash.
-My broom has gone missing. Again. In fact, all the brooms seem to have gone missing.

My day was great.

Was filling eggs when I heard a loud pop sound behind me. Look in the bunker and see a bunch of yellow ice looking stuff all over. Turns out a Rockstar can had exploded and burst out because some freaking idiot put it inside the bunker. Had to get rid of some product in there and clean a bunch of the bunker out. THANKS AGAIN for what #%#%% idiot did that. Prob somebody from Flow trying to "get it cold" since it was earlier in the morning when we hadnt had many guests.

Then I come back from Lunch and upon walking to the backroom a lady immediately tells me she couldnt find anyone and that someone spilled jam. Go over to bread and condiment aisle and there it is....just all over the floor glass and all so had to clean that up to.

What a fun day

First of the month, time to update the receiving files! First, make sure all the FDC paperwork is the right order this time. Because somebody else likes to file it backwards. Then, gather up all the tiny little receipts and staple them together. Oops, missed a few! Again. Finally, remember that the last receivers' filing past 90 days system makes no sense and I don't have the time or will to rearrange 12+ months of paperwork with half a dozen different retention timeframes into something I can make sense of. Throw my hands up in the air and resolve to deal with this shit next month. If I'm still here.

Some time after I left yesterday, somebody put the Starbucks order on the top shelf of the transition steel. Why.

Also in preparation for yesterday's visit the STL took the neatly organized stack of Sterilite boxes price change had saved and tossed them out. Again, why.

I was working alone on the price change workload for today, was scheduled about 9 hours of price change (over Sun and Mon) for over 2000 eaches, and my ETL LOG walks up to me while I'm going through infants and basically says "You need to get the workload done, you were scheduled more than enough hours to get it done."

First of all, I wasn't scheduled enough hours. I'm working alone and have to take time to help guests and go up for fast service and all that, and you're not counting all the time I wasted doing things that were not pricing. I'm not a robot that prints 120 tickets per hour.

Second, what am I even supposed to say to that? Yes, I know you want me to get the workload done so we're not late, but at this point getting the workload done is something that is out of my control. I'm sorry I cant get it done, but don't come up to me like it's my fault that I wasnt given enough time.

And finally, she was the same person who told me that morning to change the process by which we price. This different way took longer, and I knew it would, but did it anyway, and then she was angry that it took longer. I just dont understand what she wants from me. All I know that tomorrow is going to suck because she'll probably be angry at me again, but I guess all I can say is "Sorry I didnt get it done" because it's kind of over my head.

2:30 in the afternoon on a busy Saturday and there are pallets of product from the truck in front of toys and seasonal, the defective tub is in front of Fan Central and there are rows of empty carts shoved down multiple aisles of electronics. I didn't look in Domestics but typically lately there are boxes bowled down the aisles this late in the day. This is apparently an acceptable mess for the all fairly new leaders at my store.
Unbelievable.

Last edited:
I was working alone on the price change workload for today, was scheduled about 9 hours of price change (over Sun and Mon) for over 2000 eaches, and my ETL LOG walks up to me while I'm going through infants and basically says "You need to get the workload done, you were scheduled more than enough hours to get it done."

First of all, I wasn't scheduled enough hours. I'm working alone and have to take time to help guests and go up for fast service and all that, and you're not counting all the time I wasted doing things that were not pricing. I'm not a robot that prints 120 tickets per hour.

Second, what am I even supposed to say to that? Yes, I know you want me to get the workload done so we're not late, but at this point getting the workload done is something that is out of my control. I'm sorry I cant get it done, but don't come up to me like it's my fault that I wasnt given enough time.

And finally, she was the same person who told me that morning to change the process by which we price. This different way took longer, and I knew it would, but did it anyway, and then she was angry that it took longer. I just dont understand what she wants from me. All I know that tomorrow is going to suck because she'll probably be angry at me again, but I guess all I can say is "Sorry I didnt get it done" because it's kind of over my head.

Why our pricing team never has radios or answers any callboxes or back up calls. Breeds big resentment but I understand it.

9 hours each day? or 9 hours total?

what did she change re: the process? how do you normally do it?

huh. that would not fly in my store, unless you are on the flow team....

Our flow team, they are another issue altogether. And a lot of us really have voiced our resentment at pricing's behavior.

I go on lunch and hear over somebody else's radio the front end telling the LOD there's an alarm going off in receiving. Because somebody let FedEx in, then didn't let them out. So FedEx decided they'd let themselves out, through the fire exit with the big "ALARM WILL SOUND" sign.

Also nothing like a surprise sweep to load because flow TL and ETL-LOG think we have too many plastic bags and repacks and can't wait another two days for the actual sweep. But hey, I'm not complaining too much because that means I can get rid of a couple salvage/CRC pallets I can't fit anything more on. Because the new ETL in his fit of madness rearranging of receiving moved my salvage and CRC to a space almost a foot shorter than their old spot (which wasn't that great to begin with). So I'll load that sweep, sure. In between: letting soda vendors in and out (because empty pallets and shelves don't belong inside anymore, according to the new ETL), trying to find room for even more boxes of greeting cards in our storage trailer (because the card person doesn't need a whole pallet of storage space in the steel anymore, says the ETL), work on MIRs before my TL gets on my case and oh yeah, flow TL wants to know if I have time to work on defectives.

I never have any crazy shit that happened, just bullshit.

So I've been working backroom inventory prep. So far, so good. I enjoy it, it's kinda hard work, I get my hands dirty it's great. And I saw online I'm being scheduled logistics training at 4am for like 5 nights. Hella! So since it's backroom I figured it's also a good time to impress the ETL-LOG before I start training. Well. I fucked up. The day before I forgot to return my PDA. LUCKILY it was exactly where I left it. ETL wasn't too thrilled and was just like please don't lose those. Understandable I fucked up there. Moved on. Next day comes and at the end of the shift I ask the TMs I'm working with where I return the PDA. So another TM and I put them in receiving to charge. Exactly where we were told. We both logged out, left em to charge and left. Today I show up and see the ETL and well. He doesn't look happy to see me. I say hi as I walk by and he just lets out the most exasperated sigh and asks me where I put my PDA. I told him I put it in receiving where I was told to, and another TM did too. He tells me that it was missing AGAIN and found in electronics, which is the area I prepped that day. So his tone was very much "you're fucking lying to me" except I had another TM WITH ME as I put it away and there's literally no way I could have left it in electronics because the last area I worked was cosmetics and I had it with me so.... He said that someone probably took it, didn't log in and left it there. So since it was under my name last, it's all on me even if someone else left it. Fucking bullshit because I left it EXACTLY where I was told. And it would be me and not the other TM who left his there too. So then I meet up with the prep team and the backroom trainer basically put me on blast too about the PDA and I tried to defend myself WITH VALID INFO. But no,I'm made out to be an irresponsible person. I checked online and I went from having 5 training shifts to 2. From 38 hours to 20 and there's no way anyone can convince me it was anything but these fuckups. Second of which was, once again.BULLSHIT. Watch I'll put it in the ETL's office like he asked. Next day "oh someone took it and didn't log in and lost it it's on you". God I'm so pissed he probably hates me now.

Know what's fun? A truck on a non-truck day with 7+ call ins (not counting the people who weren't scheduled in the first place) and the new ETL has decided to change but ~2 custom blocks (and added some more) and move several of them to the backstock side of the line. Because you never have to switch out full vehicles during unload, right? Especially not the ones he put over there, nope.

Then there's nothing like loading a surprise sweep to get rid of all the bales and pallets we have outside because the fire marshal's had enough and our empty storage containers that have been around for months/years need to go ASAP. So got to move all that stuff somewhere else so some company two states over can drive out and get them out. I got about ten minutes of help then the rest was all on me.

If my boss asks why MIRs aren't getting done I am going to laugh hysterically. If the ETL has a problem with all the soda plastic/pallets being back inside again I am going to stare blankly at him. And if they ask me to load another sweep anytime before Thursday I am going to scream.

Couple days ago, an elderly lady asked for me specifically. I have never met her but she made it seem like I helped her before. I gave her the red card spiel while buying a high-priced vacuum. I sold her on the debit version but she didn't have her checkbook with her and she said she would come back; I took that with a grain of salt. Thirty minutes later I get paged to the vacuums and she's there with her checkbook. I get her a red card; yay!

Two days later she comes back and asks for me at the front lanes. She then asks, what time are you off? I tell her and she's like, can I pick you up after? She said she wants me to put together the vacuum and she'll pay me. I'm like, I can't do that, it's against policy. One of the TLs overheard and was low-key cracking up. Bless her heart, she was 87 based on her RC app. I wish I could've but it was weird and didn't want to jeopardize my job.

It is very easy for someone to say you need to work faster and complete the workload when they do not know how to do the process. And with 2000 tickets that should be roughly about 16 hours of workload not 9 so they are expecting the unrealistic. Softlines is the death of my team and I when ticketing . Aside from the zones being horrible push from the truck is hidden and arrives late so we have to "T-ticket" a lot of stuff that was not on the floor when we marked down the previous week. And the mydevices are slow when ticketing softlines and activating what is left that you cannot find.

Couple days ago, an elderly lady asked for me specifically. I have never met her but she made it seem like I helped her before. I gave her the red card spiel while buying a high-priced vacuum. I sold her on the debit version but she didn't have her checkbook with her and she said she would come back; I took that with a grain of salt. Thirty minutes later I get paged to the vacuums and she's there with her checkbook. I get her a red card; yay!

Two days later she comes back and asks for me at the front lanes. She then asks, what time are you off? I tell her and she's like, can I pick you up after? She said she wants me to put together the vacuum and she'll pay me. I'm like, I can't do that, it's against policy. One of the TLs overheard and was low-key cracking up. Bless her heart, she was 87 based on her RC app. I wish I could've but it was weird and didn't want to jeopardize my job.
You could of ask her to bring back to the store & build for her, with lod approval.

It is very easy for someone to say you need to work faster and complete the workload when they do not know how to do the process. And with 2000 tickets that should be roughly about 16 hours of workload not 9 so they are expecting the unrealistic. Softlines is the death of my team and I when ticketing . Aside from the zones being horrible push from the truck is hidden and arrives late so we have to "T-ticket" a lot of stuff that was not on the floor when we marked down the previous week. And the mydevices are slow when ticketing softlines and activating what is left that you cannot find.

All of the clearance is awful at stores as far as zone goes. At my store we have 1 person in hardlines and 1 in softlines for closing with usually nobody in either workcenter til 6pm...its horrible

All of the clearance is awful at stores as far as zone goes. At my store we have 1 person in hardlines and 1 in softlines for closing with usually nobody in either workcenter til 6pm...its horrible
Mytime was supposed to streamline the process' and give exactly the hours needed to complete them and any extra goes to the sales floor to help cover guest traffic during peak times. However I find that to be a huge lie as everybody's hours have been cut to bare bones and the sales floor has felt the brunt of the cuts and has the worst coverage I have seen ever seen this last year. If retention is our major focus this year then more needs to be put in staffing the stores to complete tasks and meet the service demands to keep our best team members from burning out. Our focus should NOT be how much can we can to cut so the DTL and STL get their bonuses for being under in payroll.

Last edited:

Pick up aside, we will build them if the guest begs or old or frail. There are a couple of us who can knock them out in about 10min. Guest happy we happy..

We had a bike-building TM who would do things like fix flat tires and wonky brakes on bikes we sold. Just bring it in and he'd take a look at it and fix it or something. Which is great unless pretty much nobody else knows he was doing it. Which then leads to drawn-out discussions on channel 1 asking if we do this because a guest says we do, LODs looking for said bike TM over the radio, people chiming in that we do/don't fix bikes, more people asking for that TM, etc...

We had a bike-building TM who would do things like fix flat tires and wonky brakes on bikes we sold. Just bring it in and he'd take a look at it and fix it or something. Which is great unless pretty much nobody else knows he was doing it. Which then leads to drawn-out discussions on channel 1 asking if we do this because a guest says we do, LODs looking for said bike TM over the radio, people chiming in that we do/don't fix bikes, more people asking for that TM, etc...

I did this the first year I was the bike builder, and given half a chance I'll do it again despite the word coming down that we don't do repairs anymore, since at least half the bikes we sell are absolute trash. Sadly despite having a dedicated and capable bicycle mechanic on hand, my leadership insists on using me for literally anything else and having a string of short timers put together bikes with amazing features like reversed front forks, airless tires and inoperable brakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back