Archived The "Vent about all the crazy shit that happened during your shift" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my store did that vendors would refuse to to deliver if we only opened after 8am.
They'd get over it eventually. Ours bitched and moaned for the first few weeks but started falling in line when it didn't do any good. They don't really have a choice if they want to sell their stuff.

6am unload goes much more smoothly when there aren't needy vendors getting in the way and slowing things down.

They'd get over it eventually. Ours bitched and moaned for the first few weeks but started falling in line when it didn't do any good. They don't really have a choice if they want to sell their stuff.

6am unload goes much more smoothly when there aren't needy vendors getting in the way and slowing things down.

Yeah no.. Overnight store..

Wasn't paying attention to the boxes I was opening today, opened up a very maggot infested box of dog food and pretty much coated my arm in maggots. The smell and the feeling still hasn't quite left me, it's bound to be nightmare fodder for a few weeks.

Also a WWII vet tried to sell me his Cadillac.

That sounds like pretty much the worst thing ever while working at Target...I cant think of much worse...OMG...I would of been done after that...NOPE im out of here

Our cart attendant had just arrived at work and was trying to clean the men's room, where feces was on the floor. As he was walking to the backroom to find a dustpan and gloves, the LOD told him that there was a carryout while he's walking, with purpose, carrying a broom to the back maintenance closet. Upset that nobody else cleans the restroom, and that guest service shouldn't have even seen him yet, he went up front and clocked out. 4.5 years down the drain.

Less of a vent more of a "lol wtf". 'Guest' says she was charged twice by her bank (how does that even happen?) and the AP TL told her to screw off basically- "our records show you have not been charged twice, please leave and if it doesn't get resolved with the bank come back in 2 weeks" because she wasn't charged twice. Guest throws a HUGE fit, and I mean huge. She throws a cart of stuff everywhere and climbs on top of the guest service desk. GSA was about to call the cops so this spooked the guest and she left. I wish I was making this up, it provided many laughs at our huddle.

I FUCKING HATE WEDNESDAYS!!!!!!
At 3, not minutes after I clocked in, I had to deal with a homicidally-psycho guy. Then I had a group of shit-head teens tearing up the store. Then the fucking power went out, and it was pitch black in the store for 45 seconds until the generator kicked back on, at which point we had emergency lighting only. After full power was restored and hour later, our generator never shut off and now has this loud ass alarm going off from inside it. Then the Cart attendants found a spider-wrap that had been cut and dumped inside a toilet, and it was still going off. It took two solid hits with a sledge hammer before it finally broke.
Fuck Wednesdays!
Edit: Oh shit. It turns out, that about an hour after I kicked the crazy guy out, someone matching his description stabbed another guy a half dozen time in the neck and chest.

Last edited:
I love Mondays: there's always a surprise waiting for me!

XGGropd.jpg

Here's my desk! It somewhere behind the stacker but before you reach the pile of salvage.

iSaO8JZ.jpg

Here's the compactor! I'm pretty sure it isn't full but it sure looks like it because apparently nobody thought about crushing it this weekend so now something's stuck inside that mess and it won't go down. So the STL had me call for an early pickup because if there's one thing this store loves it's pissing money away instead of preventative measures.

87cBl9d.jpg

And here's the line. It's pretty much full of pallets, bales and softlines transition. Fun fact: I none of the food on that defectives tub is, far as I can tell, actually defective! I'm seriously worried somebody pushed the broken jars and bottles and tried to defect out the good ones.

Not shown: the new pile of animal shit by our new storage trailer. The overfull baler closing team left for us (again). The defective cottage cheese and ice cream bars just sitting with the non-perishable credits. The bale and stack of pallets sitting outside, next to the backroom's other, larger fire exit. The steady stream of chemical defectives from a BR TM who kept dropping cases while backstocking.

Ten minutes into my shift I decided I was going to try and leave as soon as the dock closed. Holiday pay isn't worth this shit.

XGGropd.jpg

Here's my desk! It somewhere behind the stacker but before you reach the pile of salvage.

iSaO8JZ.jpg

Here's the compactor! I'm pretty sure it isn't full but it sure looks like it because apparently nobody thought about crushing it this weekend so now something's stuck inside that mess and it won't go down. So the STL had me call for an early pickup because if there's one thing this store loves it's pissing money away instead of preventative measures.

87cBl9d.jpg

And here's the line. It's pretty much full of pallets, bales and softlines transition. Fun fact: I none of the food on that defectives tub is, far as I can tell, actually defective! I'm seriously worried somebody pushed the broken jars and bottles and tried to defect out the good ones.

Not shown: the new pile of animal shit by our new storage trailer. The overfull baler closing team left for us (again). The defective cottage cheese and ice cream bars just sitting with the non-perishable credits. The bale and stack of pallets sitting outside, next to the backroom's other, larger fire exit. The steady stream of chemical defectives from a BR TM who kept dropping cases while backstocking.

Ten minutes into my shift I decided I was going to try and leave as soon as the dock closed. Holiday pay isn't worth this shit.

Don't blame you one bit.. My Receiver would be going ballistic along with the ETL Log, who would be head hunting for the lazy fucks who left these piles of shit for you to clean up. Oh fuck NO!!!!!!!!! was my thought when I saw those pictures cause that is just not allowed in my store.

Hope you survive what you need to get through and get out of there to breathe.

Don't blame you one bit.. My Receiver would be going ballistic along with the ETL Log, who would be head hunting for the lazy fucks who left these piles of shit for you to clean up. Oh fuck NO!!!!!!!!! was my thought when I saw those pictures cause that is just not allowed in my store.

I really need to start asserting myself about people not just dumping everything everywhere. But when I walk in and find shit like this first thing in the morning I'm in no mood to talk to people; spend a couple hours swearing and reminding myself that I need this job and walking out would be a bad idea. In fact, I actually spent some time thinking about picking up a voluntary term form, just to have it handy.

Pretty sure only the flow TL, space manager, PMT and myself care about keeping the area at least somewhat clear. Everyone else? Eh. Backroom TL and ETL are useless.

XGGropd.jpg

iSaO8JZ.jpg

87cBl9d.jpg

I thought my backroom was bad lol. I apologized to my receiver for still having one flat of frito product around his desk lmao

I think one of the reasons my store never has anything get too bad is because we do long morning working huddles, midday zones/projects, and nightly projects along with the ETLs and TLs jumping in and getting whatever needs done done.

Last edited:

Wish there were more LOG execs that stood up for the receiver

XGGropd.jpg

iSaO8JZ.jpg

87cBl9d.jpg

Yeah, there's no way this would EVER happen at my store. I'd come in on Monday to a brand new ETL team.

So today was my second shift as a flow team member. I'm getting the hang of it, we didn't have a truck so it was just pushing for my entire shift. But holy shit, either I was just exhausted, or fucking cursed, because it seemed there was an issue with every box I pulled. So it tells me the location, let's say aisle B15 2-4-4, I go to said location, some other product is there instead of the one that I'm SUPPOSED to put there. I double check to make sure I'm right. I am, some experienced worker comes over 'Are you lost?' 'Well, this is apparently supposed to go here... but, it doesn't.' Person checks, scans, 'Oh, wow, okay, you are right, just put on the pallet.' Next box I open, correct location! But the product is damaged/defective, fucking every face wash and shampoo has apparently blown up into a gooey mess. Or those hangers are all snapped in half. Or I carry the heavy as fuck kitty litter to the location, and they are all fully stocked, so back I go. I'm sweating puddles, and everyone else seems to not be breaking a single drop. Yes boss, I'll pull this cart, but then I realize everything in it is back stock, or mislabeled, or broken. UGH! Today stretched me thin, but there were still some stretches where things would go right, albeit briefly. None of it was my fault, though, and my team members knew this since they were just as confused, and I still stayed an hour extra, and I felt accomplished as I left. So I'm doing pretty well, but I'm ready for a nap and I need some vicodin. I hope the pain/soreness diminishes over time, I know I'm just out of shape and haven't exercised in a while so my body isn't used to it. I'm not even fat though and felt like an obese man on a treadmill 10 minutes in. I need to quit smoking. -_-

Welcome to flow, aka "The Target Fitness workout".
Get a good-sized bag of Epsom salts & soak in a hot tub for a while; good for muscle aches.
Make sure you've got good shoes with support.
After a week or two, you'll build up some stamina but the mistakes/damaged/overpush never really go away.

So today was my second shift as a flow team member. I'm getting the hang of it, we didn't have a truck so it was just pushing for my entire shift. But holy shit, either I was just exhausted, or fucking cursed, because it seemed there was an issue with every box I pulled. So it tells me the location, let's say aisle B15 2-4-4, I go to said location, some other product is there instead of the one that I'm SUPPOSED to put there. I double check to make sure I'm right. I am, some experienced worker comes over 'Are you lost?' 'Well, this is apparently supposed to go here... but, it doesn't.' Person checks, scans, 'Oh, wow, okay, you are right, just put on the pallet.' Next box I open, correct location! But the product is damaged/defective, fucking every face wash and shampoo has apparently blown up into a gooey mess. Or those hangers are all snapped in half. Or I carry the heavy as fuck kitty litter to the location, and they are all fully stocked, so back I go. I'm sweating puddles, and everyone else seems to not be breaking a single drop. Yes boss, I'll pull this cart, but then I realize everything in it is back stock, or mislabeled, or broken. UGH! Today stretched me thin, but there were still some stretches where things would go right, albeit briefly. None of it was my fault, though, and my team members knew this since they were just as confused, and I still stayed an hour extra, and I felt accomplished as I left. So I'm doing pretty well, but I'm ready for a nap and I need some vicodin. I hope the pain/soreness diminishes over time, I know I'm just out of shape and haven't exercised in a while so my body isn't used to it. I'm not even fat though and felt like an obese man on a treadmill 10 minutes in. I need to quit smoking. -_-
Don't let it get you down, some days are just like that. Flow is often the whipping boy for other departments, but give it time. Eventually you'll learn where everything is and it'll become easier. Welcome to the morning skeleton crew.

Anywho, on my way into work I got a flat tire. Luckily there was a spare, so after I called to let the front end know I'd be late it was changed and I came in a half hour late. Turns out there was at least five call-offs, and our still green HR-ETL who was technically the GSA was scrambling in the back on the phone, looking for people to come in and cover shifts. We were hounded by guests and couldn't even get backups. It's in the 90s today so guests were grumpy and incessant; I didn't even get my break until four hours after clocking in.

Although I did get two Redcards and a free Starbucks, so thank Mr. Skeletal.

I remember being so incredibly overwhelmed my first week or so. I wasn't really able to gauge if I was pushing my section (at the time we weren't using the wave- we were assigned sections) fast enough, so I kept pushing myself more and more and would be sweating a ton while also feeling like a failure lol.

I don't distinctly remember the physical aspect of it, but I was probably miserable until my body adjusted. I was very sedentary before working at Target, averaging like 2000-5000 steps a day. Now I'm ~12-15k per day...so that was a major lifestyle adjustment!

It really does get so much easier/better, but you'll still take a beating sometimes. I'm wrapping up my 6th day in a row (no longer a Flow TM- I'm a BRTM) and my body is really feeling it right now. No pain, but my muscles feel like they don't have enough power to do anything.

So don't feel discouraged. Probably 80% of Flow TMs start out just as "out of shape", and totally confused.

And when you feel ready for a real challenge ask to work the line during the unload. I thought I had gotten in decent shape after working Flow for a few months, but I was near tears and stayed in total panic mode during my first 2wks on the line. Everything was so fast and it seemed like the heavy items just kept coming! I got used to it and even came to kind of enjoy it in a slightly masochistic way- it definitely woke me up (whereas now I feel like a zombie for the first 2hrs of my shift), but man...that will truly make you sweat bullets!

I was covering guest service today while my GSTM was on break. I see two guests coming in with a fairly large box so I jog over and ask how I can help them, to which they reply, "Oh, we don't need help, we're just dropping this off." Then they waltzed out and I never saw them again.

So I figured, okay, maybe the box is a delivery? Maybe someone else is coming in to return this? Who knows? Maybe the box contains more clues. Well, it was a Target.com box, but all the labels were torn off and no packing slip. It's open, but it's a box within a box. No indication of contents.

Sooooo we opened it up, my cart attendant and I.

The box is fucking full of weighted kegel balls. I shit you not. Just packages on packages of these little balls. (Two boxes were missing.)

I called the LOD who was also lost. She put it back in her office. No one has come up to ask anything about them since. We may never know...

The box is fucking full of weighted kegel balls. I shit you not. Just packages on packages of these little balls. (Two boxes were missing.)
Someone must've hit the qty button too many times then were too embarrassed to do a proper return.
"....and the reason for return....?"

And when you feel ready for a real challenge ask to work the line during the unload. I thought I had gotten in decent shape after working Flow for a few months, but I was near tears and stayed in total panic mode during my first 2wks on the line. Everything was so fast and it seemed like the heavy items just kept coming! I got used to it and even came to kind of enjoy it in a slightly masochistic way- it definitely woke me up (whereas now I feel like a zombie for the first 2hrs of my shift), but man...that will truly make you sweat bullets!

That was the first thing I did the first day. I didn't realize baby diaper boxes could handle like a box of bricks. SO MANY DIAPERS

Someone must've hit the qty button too many times then were too embarrassed to do a proper return.
"....and the reason for return....?"
oh, and I forgot to mention - the box was labeled for a ship to store, but to a store that was not ours. actually I think it was a store in New York. I have no clue.

That was the first thing I did the first day. I didn't realize baby diaper boxes could handle like a box of bricks. SO MANY DIAPERS

Yes!

I got stuck with holding down the market and B skids...which meant tooooonnnnsss of Gatorade/water/juice and lots of heavy kitchen appliances.

I remember legitimately cursing every stupid pack of Gatorade that came down the line for a while. But then I came to love the Gatorade because it helped make a good base...those small boxes are killer though and can make it very difficult to build a sturdy skid!

oh, and I forgot to mention - the box was labeled for a ship to store, but to a store that was not ours. actually I think it was a store in New York. I have no clue.
How much of the label is intact? If there's a tracking number or a container number (20+ digit number starting with 0,1,2 or 9) you could call CSC and see if they have any info.

I remember legitimately cursing every stupid pack of Gatorade that came down the line for a while. But then I came to love the Gatorade because it helped make a good base...those small boxes are killer though and can make it very difficult to build a sturdy skid!
Not long after I started on flow, we had a new TL come in and decided to change the custom blocks around. He made it so that one of them was just the heavy drinks and potato chips...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back