Archived There are weird things going on in the front of the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are weird things going on in the front of the store. The cashiers either don't get their breaks or have to fight to get them. When they ask when they can go they're told, "Wait let me check." Next they hear, "You already had your break. Your name is crossed out." This is happening very often to many of them. It just started around the beginning of this year. It happens with different GSAs and GSTLs. Is this going on anywhere else?

There are weird things going on in the front of the store. The cashiers either don't get their breaks or have to fight to get them. When they ask when they can go they're told, "Wait let me check." Next they hear, "You already had your break. Your name is crossed out." This is happening very often to many of them. It just started around the beginning of this year. It happens with different GSAs and GSTLs. Is this going on anywhere else?

Sounds like someone can't read and check off names correctly. I can remember our SBUX team member being made to wait so long, she just closed SBUX cause they just ignored her for 3+ hours. And sorry if you tried to tell me I had a break when I didn't I would tell them fine "go pull film".

What about flow TL not announcing break, then when asked when break was, saying you missed it? He did that to me once.

Don't even get me started on missing breaks. I've decided that no matter what my TL says, I'm taking my breaks. It's Target Policy, not to mention State Law.

If he doesn't want to take his, fine by me. But don't expect me to be that sort of tool...

Lol I just take a few extra minutes on my lunch and usually don't take anything else if I am only working 8 hours...

I'm really freakin' crabby tonight, so....

I am really sick of the gentleman's agreement that we seem to have that GSAs should skip their breaks when possible. Officially, they will tell us to never skip them, but the reality is, half the time they ask us not to take them at pretty much the only time we can, because it isn't convenient for whatever reason and if we try to go at a different time, another person needs their break. So we get left out in the cold.

I thought they didn't notice when we skipped them, but I've been thanked by the LOD for skipping them. So go figure.

Don't even get me started on missing breaks. I've decided that no matter what my TL says, I'm taking my breaks. It's Target Policy, not to mention State Law.

If he doesn't want to take his, fine by me. But don't expect me to be that sort of tool...

Lol I just take a few extra minutes on my lunch and usually don't take anything else if I am only working 8 hours...

Difference, when you take a long lunch you aren't paid, your 15 is paid - big difference. You are giving them work for free.

I am really sick of the gentleman's agreement that we seem to have that GSAs should skip their breaks when possible. Officially, they will tell us to never skip them, but the reality is, half the time they ask us not to take them at pretty much the only time we can, because it isn't convenient for whatever reason and if we try to go at a different time, another person needs their break. So we get left out in the cold.

I thought they didn't notice when we skipped them, but I've been thanked by the LOD for skipping them. So go figure.

There is a zero percent chance of me ever doing this. I don't care what they ask. I don't ask them if I can go on break, I tell them I am going on break.

State law? Pfft! My state doesn't have a law for breaks and meals. Everytime I hear an ETL say "state law requires you to take a break". Me "Correction: Target Law requires us to take breaks." I so love their reaction. At my other job I work a 9 hr shift with no break. The funny part is they have the "state law requirements posted by the time clock...basically they copied another state law then put white-out on it and wrote my state on it...

Last edited:

This was common practice when I was a GSA.
Sad to see little has changed since I left front end.

there is not a chance in hell i would ever skip my break or expect someone else to skip theres. I will admit that i usually don't take a full 15 minute break for my last break but that's of my own choice and i'm usually taking it right before i leave so there's no point.

My good GSTL would die a bit inside if he knew we were skipping them out of "obligation." The SrGSTL is as bad as the other LODs.

My good GSTL would die a bit inside if he knew we were skipping them out of "obligation." The SrGSTL is as bad as the other LODs.

But then if they decide they want to get rid of you, they write you up for not taking your breaks.
Been there, done that, argued about it and was told that I was obligated to take my breaks no matter how much work needed to be done and that it was my fault if I couldn't work out my schedule to make sure I got them.

There is a zero percent chance of me ever doing this. I don't care what they ask. I don't ask them if I can go on break, I tell them I am going on break.

Seriously. F**k whoever expects me to skip a break. I would just straight up walk out of there if I was informed I wasn't getting one When I was supposed to. I worked a long shift (I think it was 12 hours) once in Food Ave, and I was going to get shorted a last break because "no one could come over", so I just said screw it, and shut everything down in Food Ave and walked off for 20 minutes. I was mad.

There have been numerous times I had scratch and fight for my breaks.

When I first started, my store at the time was notorious of scheduling only 1 cashier (usually me) on Sunday mornings. And the next cashier didn't come in until 11-1130, and I was schedule to leave at noon.

I never really had any trouble at my Super, you get a post-it of when you breaks/lunches were. As long as there wasn't a huge rush, you close your lane, and go.

The my last store, you would have the GSTL forget at least one break/lunch every shift. Or get behind a whole hour on breaks. There were times, I had to call the GSTL/GSA to let them know I was minutes from compliance, and never had my lunch. And I was seconds from shutting off the lights at Food Ave.

I know I'm just a tm who is very global, and I'm always doing projects for/with my SrTL, which are very time consuming with all the pulling and fixing plano mistakes that I never take a break. I don't feel bad not taking one especially when there's a lot to get done. It always makes me mad to see the tls going on break and complaining they didn't get their work done.

State law? Pfft! My state doesn't have a law for breaks and meals. Everytime I hear an ETL say "state law requires you to take a break". Me "Correction: Target Law requires us to take breaks." I so love their reaction. At my other job I work a 9 hr shift with no break. The funny part is they have the "state law requirements posted by the time clock...basically they copied another state law then put white-out on it and wrote my state on it...

You do know break laws are there too support you, so you would be be exploited less. Every state has a regulation on lunches and breaks. Your state doesn't have a law is BS.

You do know break laws are there too support you, so you would be be exploited less. Every state has a regulation on lunches and breaks. Your state doesn't have a law is BS.

Some states don't. Republicans have been busy cutting labor laws everywhere they can. For example my state only guarantees a 30 minute unpaid lunch for workers under the age of 18.

Some states don't. Republicans have been busy cutting labor laws everywhere they can. For example my state only guarantees a 30 minute unpaid lunch for workers under the age of 18.

I was just noticing that . Still @FlowingandWaving excuse not to take his breaks is horrible. Everyone should be taking breaks every two hours. You should not be a volunteer slave for the company.

At our store, Food Ave and Starbucks have to skip their 15 min break every night since we don't have enough cross trained cashiers to cover. When this was brought up to the execs, it was told that they will talk to other stores to see how they do it, and of course there was no resolution.

The simple solution is to either allow TMs to tack on 15 minutes extra to the end of the shift to adjust the missed breaks or shut down FA/SB for their breaks. Or I guess it would pain Target so much to just cross train more people just to cover breaks.

I was just noticing that . Still @FlowingandWaving excuse not to take his breaks is horrible. Everyone should be taking breaks every two hours. You should not be a volunteer slave for the company.

Excuse? Absolutely not using that as an excuse. In fact, I love the breaks at Target that I wouldn't get at my other job. I work 17 hours a day so those breaks come in handy. I'm saying that they should stop yelling false information and just say it's Target's Policy that you take breaks.

Its not being selfish, lazy, nasty or greedy, it is either mandated by law or a provided benefit. You are cheating yourself if you don't take them, why give spot your time for free? And it is you giving them your time for free, cause you are paid to sit in the breakroom, outside, your car.

Skipping breaks is how the workloads got so out of hand, people cheated to get it done. Its not the entire reason but it is a part of it.

At our store, Food Ave and Starbucks have to skip their 15 min break every night since we don't have enough cross trained cashiers to cover. When this was brought up to the execs, it was told that they will talk to other stores to see how they do it, and of course there was no resolution.

At my store, if we don't have anyone to cover, they just shut down for 15 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back