Archived Things I am thankful we do not carry... and things I wish we did..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spray Paint....the bedding products would get some color
Live Pets.... glad we do not carry those... I could just see trying to catch some dollar fish that did not want to be netted a minute before closing time...

I wish we carried:Blue Buffalo dog food in addition to the products we carry...
Basic lawn equipment like trimmer line, mower blades etc...
Cracker Jack... my store doesn't sell it even though the Twins play at Target Field... I have lots of guests ask for it...

I wish we sold liquor.
That's not up to Target. Spot does sell liquor in states that allow it.
This. I work in PA. When I worked at Target and even more now that I work at Trader Joe's, out of towners come up to me incredibly puzzled and ask where the alcohol is. I politely welcome them to PA where our liquor laws are from prohibition and direct them to the nearest state store and beer distributors.

As much as I think limiting our patio furniture line over the years has hurt sales, I'm glad we don't sell that one hanging umbrella gazebo anymore. You know which I'm talking about. The one that came in a 12 ft long box. Couldn't imagine having to deal with it now I work at the DC...
Also, any motion-activated toy should be thrown in a burn pile. One year we had an endcap of motion-activated parrots that were faced directly at the backroom's door in Toys. That was an awful Q4.
I do wish we had a larger camping/outdoors section. I get that it's not the demographic Spot is trying to go after, but being an outdoorsy guy in an area with lots of forests, it would better than having to go to Wally World or a expensive outdoor/sports specialty store. I also seem to never find steel wool pads, which I'll always prefer to sponges and scrubbers.

Last edited:
My store sold the hanging umbrella, and sells steel wool, liquor, and Cracker Jack.
Also glad for no spray paint or pets. Let me add guns to that list.
Wish we sold a few touristy knick-knacks, offered furniture assembly (for a fee), and ship to store (seriously, all of our competitors do).

I forgot about the fish at wal-mart. That has to be more trouble than it's worth!

I am so thankful we don't carry a huge selection of furniture, at least in our store... Dealing with anything bigger than a christmas tree box is the most annoying thing. The guests are always rude too.

I am so thankful we don't carry a huge selection of furniture, at least in our store... Dealing with anything bigger than a christmas tree box is the most annoying thing. The guests are always rude too.
A small portion also apparently think that they can turn their compact car into a Tardis.

A small portion also apparently think that they can turn their compact car into a Tardis.

I SURE HOPE THIS FITS IN THE CAR!
electric_smart_car.jpg

As an electronics team member, I wish we'd dump the entire computer section, Beats, Sonos, and prepaid phones. The computer section (laptops, their accessories, computer software, and PC accessories) generate the least sales of any department in electronics. Only tax software generates good sales. Printers are fine as are the flash drives. Beats really haven't sold since Christmas last year and I was disappointed to see that we now got new models of Beats that collect dust just as well as the old ones do. Sonos systems rarely sell and I'd rather open that four foot section to other sound systems. Prepaid phones are a massive pain in the ass (though they sell reasonably well). Most people buy them to replace broken contract phones and I don't get attachments for them or some one will buy it expecting me to set it up for them. Even better are the people who buy the phones from another store and want me to set it up. Target Mobile was supposed to take over the prepaid phones and they get points for commission from them, but if they're busy with a contract phone the electronics team get stuck with it.

I would like to see the tablet section to get much larger with a bigger selection of brands and types and to have tablet accessories in the budget range (and not the predominantly $40+ range that we currently carry). Honestly if there was a $10-$20 range of tablet cases I could easily double the attach rate for iPads and Tablets. Clearance season usually see a dramatic increase in iPad and iPod attach rates. Yeah, the expensive cases may be more profitable, but they aren't good sellers.

Headphones could use a larger variety too. We got a bunch of <$50 sets and a lot of >$150 sets and very little representation of the in between. It's very difficult to upsell the expensive sets when there's not much to compare it too in the lower ranges. Hell, the Bose Soundlink mini wouldn't sell half as well if I weren't able to compare it to other sound systems that are cheaper (like the Jamboxes or Beats pills). We need some sort of equivalent for the headphones. We used to have demos for the lower priced sets but now it's all Bose and Beats now.

We also need a variety in TV sound systems. The soundbar selection is pretty pitiful and since all TVs come with terrible internal speakers this is a missed opportunity for sales. Last Christmas I couldn't keep them in stock except for the super expensive Sony soundbar. TV accessories in general could be better. The $20 two pack HDMI cable sells well, but $17 for the cheapest 6 foot HDMI cable is just awful. I always feel bad for selling them when a guest could drive a couple miles down the street and pick up an HDMI cable that works just as well for $5.

And can we finally sell service plans that cover accidental damage for iPods and other small devices?! No one wants to buy a three year defect and wear and tear service plan on their iPod touch. In 2012, someone representing the service plan company said that they'd have some sort of accidental damage service plan for iPods by February 2013. Fitness devices would also be a good area to have accidental damage service plans.

Tablets should honestly have a section on the main aisles. The sound systems simply do not sell.

Glad we don't sell: cigarettes (more IDing-never fun), vapor cigs, live pets (the smell!),

Wish we sold: the sugar I used to buy and now have to get at Walmart (thanks Spot!, guess they get my $4 now!), more food items, more food items at Target Cafe/Food Ave (seriously, where did all of the food go? The menu is a joke!!), Steak n Shake chili in a can (again, gotta go to Walmart to get it! It's my favorite!).

I wish sound systems would go away period. When I can hear the damn kids having the volume all the way up from the pfresh U during peak hours, there's a problem.

Beats sell decently at my store, but I always encourage the electronics tms to steer the guest towards the Bose equipment. Even with their recent upgrades, Beats is still a subpar product for the price point.

Also, I hate having to explain to guests that:
A) we don't do watch repairs or replace watch batteries (liability issues)
B) no, you cannot pay and leave your merchandise because you don't have enough room in your Miata/Mini Cooper/Civic to fit a sixty inch tv
C) if you bought the service plan, for the love of God, don't bring the damn thing to me. Read the pamphlet.
D) no, I cannot coupon the meat just because you want me to. This goes double for tms. No, you can't use your discount in conjunction with couponed meat. No, I won't tpc it so you can. Please quit asking me what the price for 85/15 is at HEB/Kroger/insert bodega here.

Wish we sold: larger variety of smart phone accessories besides five million iphone cases and a dozen microusb cords. Our electronics team would kill on cheaper microusb cables.

Wish we didn't sell: house branded potato chips. They never sell, and flow refuses to treat them gently or fifo the damn things. Anything in a glass container. Flow STILL bowls the case packs out and causes dozens of breakages per truck. Popcorn and goldfish crackers in the tiny box. Bane of our cleanliness score.

Does the register stop the discount on couponed meat? Cause no one ever told me (as a cashier) it couldn't be done...

Anything in a glass container. Flow STILL bowls the case packs out and causes dozens of breakages per truck.
Amen. Glass items that are conveyable are the just the worst DC side. All you have to do is wait for a bunch of pickles or spaghetti sauce or olive oil to run across our sorter and then the radio lights up with everyone calling that there a bunch of spills in the shipping wing. Still don't know why that stuff is conveyable.

Does the register stop the discount on couponed meat? Cause no one ever told me (as a cashier) it couldn't be done...

Yeah, I've never run into that as a cashier. We've always had TMs buying couponed meat with their discount. They should get the same opportunity to purchase couponed meat as the guests (assuming the purchase is legit and the meat wasn't couponed specifically for the TM purchasing it).

Yeah, I've never run into that as a cashier. We've always had TMs buying couponed meat with their discount. They should get the same opportunity to purchase couponed meat as the guests (assuming the purchase is legit and the meat wasn't couponed specifically for the TM purchasing it).

I have bought enough of it, never had an issue, so if it does not take the discount the register does it automatically and we never notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back