Archived Things Target Taught Me The Hard Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wait, i realized you said coolers. Does that mean backroom coolers or the ones on the floor? Makes sense if you meant salesfloor coolers

Target taught me...

...adults have temper tantrums just like 2yr olds. Just work Electronics or Toys before Christmas or the week after Christmas at Guest Service.
...hot fryer oil HURTS
...the importance of money and work. When you don't have any real hours to work, you are not going to have enough money to live on.
...hard work will not get anywhere. Only kissing butt, hanging out with the Execs, or having family at the same workplace will.
...there is no such thing called "Open Door Policy."
...Food Ave/Cafe is a black hole. Once they know you work hard there, they will never let you leave.
...when you need something done by an ETL. Don't trust them. You will end up having to do it yourself.
...why promote or motivate morale when you can make things suck so much that good people will leave. And then find someone else to do the same job for less.

haha I remember walking in TSC to print the schedule and get the restroom check logs I wasnt aware that the carpet had just been cleaned and my HR-clerical was in the breakroom.. I went to open the equipment room door (key was already in the lock), slipped and broke the key in half. oh man ii was sooo mad ii fell and she came in cracking up. Thank the lord we had an extra pare of GSTL keys, and I didnt get in trouble for braking the first ones. btw, there wasn't a wet floor sign.

- When the carpet is cleaned, it is also wet. Watch that first step....it's a doozy!

i've learned:

sky bouncy balls really do bounce 75 feet, and not necessarily up.
the top shelves of laundry detergents need to be locked in well before your team starts stocking.
vodka spaghetti sauce smells just like it you think it would. especially if covered in it.
never trust what anyone says, whether bad or good. the bad stuff will be forgotten quickly, and the good stuff was probably said with an ulterior motive in mind anyway. trust yourself. always do the right thing.

I've learned:

Much like food avenue, if you are a backroom team member (either early morning or dayside), then you will be stuck there!
When you want to transfer to another store, keep on your HR to make sure she is keeping correspondence with the other store, because if not, they will come back two weeks later after you applied and say "by the time we got everything situated, they had no positions available" to which I thought "well maybe if you hurried your @$$ up , then it would have gotten done quicker, it takes almost no time to make a few phone calls"!

Never make a bale with only two metal ties, it will come apart and you will have to do it all over again!
When you call for the LOD (especially her name rhymes with Henna) to check you out of the backroom for the night, be prepared to wait for a while, because a few of them will take their sweet time making their way back there.

Hard work gets you nowhere. Doing your job, listening, and doing what your told/asked gets you promotions. It couldn't be easier.

Not at Target it wont. Serious butt kissing and preying they wont bring someone from outside to fill the position when you apply for it will get you a promotion.

Target taught me that their idea of a perfect ETL is one that looks like they stepped out of a college cheerleading video. They shudder at the thought of hiring a new ETL who is over 30. They go for looks over substance.

They are missing a huge talent pool in their own stores. Instead of using some of the awesome talent they have in the building they will find a reason that they are not promotable.

They really are not interested in how stores actually run. If they did they would have unannounced visits at all times of the day. Visits always happen from 8-4 and are announced! I would love to see the DTLs face if he stopped in on a Friday evening about 6 or so.....

There is a binder for everything!

The building will be scorching hot and humid in the summer.

The can make anything sound good if it is presented in pretty packaging. Well Being! Work life balance! Open door policy! Team development! Good theories all, but not reality.

This describes my store so well.

I agree with this. I feel like when I call over an LOD/ETL, even my STL, that they should know the in's and out's of our store policy...especially the return policy....that way when I do call them over they don't have a dumbfounded look on their face when I explain the issue and why we can't do something. It erks me every time when I feel that they just "make it right" to avoid conflict. Not me, although I represent the front end, I do not "make it right" unless I know its for the RIGHT reason. I am not afraid of confrontation and sometimes I feel my fellow ETL's and even TL's are. Not all though. My ETL-AP usually agree's with me all the way when it comes to certain things. I am a Criminal Justice major and I'm pretty good at reading ppl when I know they are trying to bs their way into the LOD's hearts. I can't lie, I have gone against out policy to make it right for a guest but I explain to them why and the only reason I am doing it, I also inform them (depending on the situation) that another supervisor or manager might not do the same for them. I agree that some ETL's wouldn't last if they started as a TM. I crack up each time our former ETL-hardlines hopped on a checklane... I had to walk him through each transaction. If it wasn't for us 'under dogs', things would not run smoothly. I think. But that's my opinion. I have been a GSA now for just about 2 years now and they have a TL opening. It's under GSTL but my ETL-GE and ETL-HR have both informed me that it is a TL opening. That if our STL feels the front needs another GSTL, then they will make it that. My ETL-GE knows and has dedicated a lot of time to my development and is always giving me helpful feedback. She is aware that I applied and is happy I am interested in it. I am very much interested in this but I want to stay with the front. I love being on the front lanes, it's what keeps me going because there is never a dull moment. I just don't want them to rotate all the TL positions and leave me stranded....ugh... I can only hope for the best. :)

These are all of my biggest complaints too! I love how the ETLs and STLs will come up with reasons why someone shouldn't be promoted... but if ANY of them started at the TM level, they would have never been taken serious for any sort of promotion! I would like to have seen my STL start as a TM with the amount of training all other TMs in the company get and see how well she would have done...

I have learned that stupid guests are an endless source of free entertainment.

I have learned that stupid parents think our store is a free babysitter.

I have learned that fellow team members can be really great friends, and there are a few stinkers that you should never have trusted.

I have learned that you need to get all the info and make sure that during a Code Yellow, it is very helpful to know if the kid has even entered your store before the parent has "lost" them. << true store... this chick came up to me and said she lost her kid, that she cant find him... this was the walkie conversation.

GSTL-- attention team, code yellow code yellow code yellow...hold for description"

GSTL-- white shirt, 15 years old, about 5'7, dark blue pants

LOD-- last location?

GSTL-- not sure

HLTM-- how are you not sure... where was he last seen?

GSTL-- she is not sure she just entered our store

LOD-- GSTL cover the market side TPS go cover the GM side

TPS-- copy that... description again GSTL

GSTL-- white shirt, 15 years old, about 5'7, dark blue pants.... she is calling his phone... no answer... cart attendant please check the restrooms.

cart attendant-- on my way in now

GSTL-- um team, you can cancel the code yellow, guest just informed me her son was meeting her here and he hasn't even entered the store yet.

GSTL-- thanks team for your help with the code yellow.

LOD- great job team

TPS-- what code yellow... anyways thanks.

GSTL-- cart attendant since your headed in can you help with a carry out

CART ATTENDANT-- sure thing

I will. I have been interested in working undercover for AP, which I am sure I would have to transfer since my face is well known at our store. Although I wouldn't mind working as a TPS for starters. I just really want that TL position. Not sure what the future holds for me but I know it will be in law enforcement, in some form or another. :)

954, go for the interview. then talk to ap for a job opp, because of school.

Last edited:
I will. I have been interested in working undercover for AP, which I am sure I would have to transfer since my face is well known at our store. Although I wouldn't mind working as a TPS for starters. I just really want that TL position. Not sure what the future holds for me but I know it will be in law enforcement, in some form or another. :)
Sounds like you are going for a tl job. My etl-ap would take you in a heart beat.

" how to gracefully step off the wave when you have not put it all the way down to its resting position?
" stepping off the 10' ladder with your hands full of signing materials, thinking you were close to the floor than you actually were?
looking around and hopefully seeing no one there to see you do this!

" how to gracefully step off the wave when you have not put it all the way down to its resting position?
" stepping off the 10' ladder with your hands full of signing materials, thinking you were close to the floor than you actually were?
looking around and hopefully seeing no one there to see you do this!

Oh yah! ...
Done both of those, that moment of wondering if you are going to break something and then hoping no one saw you is classic.

Yea it is a TL position but they are not sure if it will be a GSTL one or not. I think that the front should call for 2 GSTL's and 2 GSA's.. I want to stay with target but I also want something in L.E

Sounds like you are going for a tl job. My etl-ap would take you in a heart beat.

Both awesome examples. Wish I had good ones but besides putting my head through the ceiling I have taken out a baystack and got stuck up in the air when the motor died.

One of our many signing tm's shattered a front window when they ran into it with the wave! Awesome.

Target taught me that their idea of a perfect ETL is one that looks like they stepped out of a college cheerleading video. They shudder at the thought of hiring a new ETL who is over 30. They go for looks over substance.

They are missing a huge talent pool in their own stores. Instead of using some of the awesome talent they have in the building they will find a reason that they are not promotable.

They really are not interested in how stores actually run. If they did they would have unannounced visits at all times of the day. Visits always happen from 8-4 and are announced! I would love to see the DTLs face if he stopped in on a Friday evening about 6 or so.....

There is a binder for everything!

Target needs to get back to its roots...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back