Thoughts on extending hazard pay.

why the hell are yall staying 2.5 hours after close, wtf
Probably because that’s what we were originally told to do when Target decided to close at nine. It originally said that we were still supposed to keep people scheduled like normal and use that time after close to deep clean and fill the floor

Probably because that’s what we were originally told to do when Target decided to close at nine. It originally said that we were still supposed to keep people scheduled like normal and use that time after close to deep clean and fill the floor
I've seen ads on Instagram with Target telling everyone that we are deep cleaning after we close at 9pm... Everything Target does is for PR

I've seen ads on Instagram with Target telling everyone that we are deep cleaning after we close at 9pm... Everything Target does is for PR
Well sure they do worry about the PR. But it doesn’t mean that some stores aren’t actually doing it. My store for one we still stay longer just like we’re supposed to and we do clean and drop 1:1’s. Sorry to the stores that are leaving 15 min or so after close and not cleaning. Guess I’m lucky my store really cares or at least follows direction and stays to clean.

Same here. And hours are still being gutted. I left my store looking a mess because I was told we have to be out by 10:30 even though other stores still get 11:30. And I was given 1 cashier 1 sco and one guest service person with 2 people on the sales floor. Literally up 100k+ but can’t have enough people for open to close coverage in style or tech. It’s frustrating.
We had lines down towards electronics many times this week. More people are shopping in the store and it will be awful next week with less staffing.

stoked that you have the payroll for this, we do not anymore
They are actually increasing the amount of hours we are supposed to be using for cleaning. This was on one of the newest updates. Cleaning seems to be one area they don’t want us to compromise on. Now if stores aren’t using those hours for what they are supposed to then that’s on them.

They are actually increasing the amount of hours we are supposed to be using for cleaning. This was on one of the newest updates. Cleaning seems to be one area they don’t want us to compromise on. Now if stores aren’t using those hours for what they are supposed to then that’s on them.

yeah but those hours are for the cleaning workcenter, not to be used in the rest of the store’s workcenters

2 store cleaners and 2 cart cleaners for a store that’s open from 8a to 9p means something like 26-30 hours per day tied to the cleaning workcenter

meanwhile the payroll cuts in my store are so severe that there are days where we have no one scheduled in style/beauty/electronics if there is no truck that day and on truck days only one team member for 4 hours

So I did the math on my paycheck- my current rate vs "my extra $" Target is actually paying me more with this $2 versus raising the hourly wage. Target would actually save money to raise the minimum wage instead of extending the hazard pay. Just a thought

Temporary Pay Differential: $2.00 per hour
Temporary Pay Differential Start Date: 3/22/2020
Temporary Pay Differential End Date: 5/30/2020
Just a reminder that the "pay differential" is scheduled to end. There's no indication it will be extended. Here's an article which briefly mentions Target but focuses on how these "pay differential" programs at other "essential worker" businesses are being quietly discontinued:

As much as I hope I'm wrong, I don't think there is any chance they extend it again. I am of the same thought though, if there is no hazard pay then that means there is no hazard and I don't have to wear a mask if I don't want.

They should still allow anyone who wants to wear one to be able to.

Walmart gave their employees another bonus, so I am hoping we get our pay extended again.

A friend on Facebook posted that Walmart has spent about $900mil on bonuses this year. That's what the Walton family makes in 9 days.

Then there's Amazon's Jeff Bezos who (assuming everything continues as it is) could become a trillionaire in less than 10 years. Amazon paid zero taxes last year.

Target has 360000 employees (according to wikipedia). It earns about $70-75 billion a year.
Now for simplicity sake, let's assume everyone at Target works 40 hours a week, every week of the year.
If you multiply 40 hours * 52 weeks = 2080 hours per person.
2080 * 360000 = about 750,000,000 hours.
750,000,000 * $15/hour = $11.25 billion (which is equal to what Target currently puts aside for equity).
Say they pay $20/hour = That's less than $15 billion, which is a 5th of the total revenue.

I'm obviously over simplifying things... but, the basic math shows that Target could easily pay everyone a base hourly rate of $15, give them full time hours and it would barely put a dent in revenue. An investment in their employees, even at the base level is a solid investment from a productivity standpoint. However from an investment standpoint, it would hurt their bottom line and their shareholders wouldn't see that as money well spent. So, they'd lose investors and their revenue would drop. Would it drop significantly, doubtful. But, they aren't going to upset the shareholders... that's money coming in. We're the slow leak, so losing employees only helps the bottom line from that perspective.

From what I've read, Walmart's "bonus" was about $160 after taxes.

It's not much but I wish Target would give a bonus to all of those employees who actually continued working for the past 8 weeks and didn't take an LOA...the ones of us who stayed doing our jobs, having to go above and beyond with all the changes and the crazy. It's been a really long, tough road and I'm so very tired from the whole thing.

Also...I'm really not all that excited to be dropped down to base plus my 5% raise because I do far, far more than I should for my compensation level.

It's not much but I wish Target would give a bonus to all of those employees who actually continued working for the past 8 weeks and didn't take an LOA...the ones of us who stayed doing our jobs, having to go above and beyond with all the changes and the crazy. It's been a really long, tough road and I'm so very tired from the whole thing.

Also...I'm really not all that excited to be dropped down to base plus my 5% raise because I do far, far more than I should for my compensation level.
Target should definitely extend it, make it permanent or atleast give a bonus for employees who stayed. We were completely left understaffed. We were doing twice as much work as usual. And it still happens now. If they don’t extend it stores are gonna end up even more understaffed.

Target should definitely extend it, make it permanent or atleast give a bonus for employees who stayed. We were completely left understaffed. We were doing twice as much work as usual. And it still happens now. If they don’t extend it stores are gonna end up even more understaffed.
I would have loved to soak up all the hours that were flying around the past month-plus, especially with the two dollar hazard pay. But I took a leave because I felt forced to, by disrespectful guests and TMs who don't know the meaning of the word boundaries.

I feel bad for those of you who have remained on the front lines, and I can't speak for everyone who went on leave, but I can say that I would've preferred not to but felt my hand was forced. I am very grateful that I was able to get one month paid due to asthma, and also grateful that the stimulus check is covering my current unpaid month.

I am usually a real stickler when it comes to attendance, but during this crisis I have not one iota of resentment towards anyone who felt or still feels the need to call out or take a leave because of this mess.

Last edited:
Back