Thoughts on extending hazard pay.

I just asked my tl about this yesterday and he said he didn’t know , now today someone at my store has a confirmed case and they won’t tell us who until they review the video to see if they had contact with you or not.

What Target just shared
  • First quarter to date comparable sales up 7%. Digital sales up 100%; sales in stores down slightly.
  • First quarter comparable sales by department: essentials and food (+20%); hardlines (+16%); home (up slightly); apparel and accessories (-20%). The pace of sales mark a slowdown from Target’s business update on March 25. At the time, March to date comparable sales were said to be up 20%.
  • April to date comparable sales are up 5%. Store sales have plunged by a high-teens percentage. Digital sales have surged 275%.
  • April comparable sales by department: essentials and food (+12%); hardlines (+30%); home (up high-teens); apparel and accessories (-40%).
  • Target declined to provide specific financial guidance. The company withdrew its financial guidance on March 25. But it did offer some clues this time around. “While the Company withdrew its first-quarter guidance on March 25, today it provided additional detail on a number of factors that will reduce its first quarter profitability, including investments in pay and benefits to support team members during the COVID-19 crisis, the shift in category mix towards lower-margin categories, the shift in channel mix towards digital fulfillment, and inventory write-downs in Apparel & Accessories to reflect the rapid deceleration in sales trends. Together, these factors are expected to reduce the Company’s first-quarter operating margin rate by more than 5 percentage points,” Target said in a statement.
  • Target will extend its temporary $2 an hour wage increase until May 30.
  • Company is adding 80,000 Shipt workers (Target’s same-day delivery service) to support an increase in home-delivery orders.
Target is seeing unprecedented swings in its business amidst the coronavirus - https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/target-is-seeing-unprecedented-swings-in-its-business-amidst-the-coronavirus-104216313.html

Last edited:
I just asked my tl about this yesterday and he said he didn’t know , now today someone at my store has a confirmed case and they won’t tell us who until they review the video to see if they had contact with you or not.
they are not going to tell you the specific team member

Yeah hours in may in general seen to be trash. Not sure how they are going to expect us to continue to get everything done plus all the deep cleaning with scary low payroll. Something gonna have to get sacrificed and get it ain't workload.

Yeah hours in may in general seen to be trash. Not sure how they are going to expect us to continue to get everything done plus all the deep cleaning with scary low payroll. Something gonna have to get sacrificed and get it ain't workload.
*bet

What Target just shared
  • First quarter to date comparable sales up 7%. Digital sales up 100%; sales in stores down slightly.
  • First quarter comparable sales by department: essentials and food (+20%); hardlines (+16%); home (up slightly); apparel and accessories (-20%). The pace of sales mark a slowdown from Target’s business update on March 25. At the time, March to date comparable sales were said to be up 20%.
  • April to date comparable sales are up 5%. Store sales have plunged by a high-teens percentage. Digital sales have surged 275%.
  • April comparable sales by department: essentials and food (+12%); hardlines (+30%); home (up high-teens); apparel and accessories (-40%).
  • Target declined to provide specific financial guidance. The company withdrew its financial guidance on March 25. But it did offer some clues this time around. “While the Company withdrew its first-quarter guidance on March 25, today it provided additional detail on a number of factors that will reduce its first quarter profitability, including investments in pay and benefits to support team members during the COVID-19 crisis, the shift in category mix towards lower-margin categories, the shift in channel mix towards digital fulfillment, and inventory write-downs in Apparel & Accessories to reflect the rapid deceleration in sales trends. Together, these factors are expected to reduce the Company’s first-quarter operating margin rate by more than 5 percentage points,” Target said in a statement.
  • Target will extend its temporary $2 an hour wage increase until May 30.
  • Company is adding 80,000 Shipt workers (Target’s same-day delivery service) to support an increase in home-delivery orders.
Target is seeing unprecedented swings in its business amidst the coronavirus - https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/target-is-seeing-unprecedented-swings-in-its-business-amidst-the-coronavirus-104216313.html

I’m glad sales are doing well and out pays extended. Then why the heck is Target cutting so much on hours and pay roll???? It’s like Target was giving out unlimited hours and then at the beginning of the week they were like “just kidding you need to cut all of it”. Why so inconsistent? It legit frustrates me to no end

I’m glad sales are doing well and out pays extended. Then why the heck is Target cutting so much on hours and pay roll???? It’s like Target was giving out unlimited hours and then at the beginning of the week they were like “just kidding you need to cut all of it”. Why so inconsistent? It legit frustrates me to no end

I know, we were all set up to get like 1000-2000 SFS orders a day and had been getting just over a thousand for the last week and the last couple days just enough to keep me at the pack desk, even doing my own prep. I am not behind at all. Where did all the orders go, we had over night people and they have been forced back to dayside.

I will admit I am kinda glad it slowed down we have been running since the second week of March at full tilt bigger than 4th quarter volume and I need some days off.

I know, we were all set up to get like 1000-2000 SFS orders a day and had been getting just over a thousand for the last week and the last couple days just enough to keep me at the pack desk, even doing my own prep. I am not behind at all. Where did all the orders go, we had over night people and they have been forced back to dayside.

I will admit I am kinda glad it slowed down we have been running since the second week of March at full tilt bigger than 4th quarter volume and I need some days off.
You’ll get days off like 15 or more during May

Pay Cycle B has PG35 (Team Member) raises effective on 5/3. Don’t remember the effective date for Cycle A, your HR leader should know this if you ask. Theoretically at least.

That's good, as I'm not returning to work until after 5/2, I thought I would be coming back just as hazard pay ended. Of course though, with all the mini-seasonals hired, who knows how much hours I'll actually be getting in a week now?

It's like sales increased hugely and we weren't prepared for it so they offered overtime and other incentives to get more workers in the store, and then sales dropped off so they stopped offering extras and cut hours to match expected sales. Weird.

Our hours are being brutally cut next week, I'm lucky my hours were only cut by one-half. I actually take that as an honor since I saw a lot of good TMs have their hours cut more brutally than that.

At least one TL said that the SD invited TLs to volunteer to take vacation next week just to have a tiny number of extra hours for TM work groups which truly need them. I can see that the guest visits in our store are way, way down from February and well under one-half of year-ago numbers, though Flex, OPU and DUP certainly are helping keep sales numbers from being totally in the tank. I can see why there's less need for hourly staff - my ETL actually said through all of May the entire store is going to have almost zero room for picking up extra shifts.

Last edited:
My hours were slashed in half too. Some TMs have less than I do. It might be easier to pick back up with the call outs. We shall see.

Back