Thoughts on extending hazard pay.

Team Member raises are effective 5/3, so I see what they’re probably thinking on this. More incentives would be great as I’m pretty sure the $2 going away is going to lead to less productivity and more call outs. It’s crazy where I’m at and that $2 has been a prime motivator, especially for our Fulfillment team who’ve been allowed OT for most of the last month.

I am way more motivated at $2 more an hour than the raise I may get that will be at max, fifty cents.. We are not stupid.

I think they will offer assentives to feel like it's the same thing
Insensitives are nice but people like money. The Target Circle coupon is nice and all but in the end you still are giving Target sales.

They need to at the very least extend the $2 until the end of the extra $600 unemployment benefit. It is only fair in my opinion.

I understand that everyone has opinions on the severity of this virus etc. But any way you slice it, us as Team members are working in a public setting in unprecedented times.

Let's not forget Target is benefiting in a huge way from this pandemic. The stock has held strong, every store in my district is up atleast 10% to comp and they are gaining support and new guests that never have or normally shop in a Target. So in my stores case, we have about 50 (1/3 of our team) on LOA, they need to reward/incentivize the team to come to work.

Last edited:
Ultimate PR move would say they are keeping their promise and raising the minimum to 15 as thanks for all the hard work. That will let people think on their own that they are keeping hazard pay. When in reality that could be meaning taking away hazard pay for places that were already 15.

Team Member raises are effective 5/3, so I see what they’re probably thinking on this. More incentives would be great as I’m pretty sure the $2 going away is going to lead to less productivity and more call outs. It’s crazy where I’m at and that $2 has been a prime motivator, especially for our Fulfillment team who’ve been allowed OT for most of the last month.
I'll probably use vacation hours to take a lot of days off after the pay drops.

Agreed. I’m already over $15 so the $2 raise was nice.

I'm in the same boat. I'll be much less motivated if Target tries to spin this in a pr move. I knew the $15 an hour was coming and I'd see none of it. But now that I've had a taste of the extra $2 an hour, Target should just make it permanent. But I don't see it happening. The most I can hope for is a raise (I usually get a raise based on top merit) to offset the hazard pay being taken away.

I'll probably use vacation hours to take a lot of days off after the pay drops.

Yep my road trip for this summer is probably cancelled(will know first week of may) but I have a large amount of vacation to use.. It's time to start burning that.

Ultimate PR move would say they are keeping their promise and raising the minimum to 15 as thanks for all the hard work. That will let people think on their own that they are keeping hazard pay. When in reality that could be meaning taking away hazard pay for places that were already 15.
Many store-level TMs live in high-cost-of-living places where the local minimum wage is already $15 or more, or areas where Target already pays minimum $15 due to cost-of-living market pay. So for us the $15 minimum is absolutely meaningless unless base pay were bumped $2 hourly, or maybe more.

To avoid a sharp increase in TM call-outs using sick leave (if available) or vacation pay, and avoid some very nasty publicity that could hurt the company's reputation, the $2/hour incentive pay should be continued through the Fourth of July. Target is hyper-sensitive to public reputation. In this day of social media and instant e-mail access to commercial media news reporters, Target should not risk the bad publicity. P.S. The bad publicity could be exploited for union-recruitment purposes by union organizing groups. Beware, Corporate.

"AMENDMENT I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

Except if the government tells you can't protest.

We're in a rough patch right now, no argument.

Last time I checked, the protests were able to proceed, as evidenced by the asshattery noted by JAShands in their post. This does not mean WE can't call them out for being the selfish, entitled, dangerous, gullible assholes that they are.

I could not help wondering: when is the COVID-19 health crisis going to diminish? When will the "hazard" really have run its course? It's really hard to guess. We can all make educated guesses but that's like guessing the stock market next week. I think it would not be a good thing for Target to yank away the "hazard pay" until the authorities have figured out that the dangers and hazards have faded away.

I could not help wondering: when is the COVID-19 health crisis going to diminish? When will the "hazard" really have run its course? It's really hard to guess. We can all make educated guesses but that's like guessing the stock market next week. I think it would not be a good thing for Target to yank away the "hazard pay" until the authorities have figured out that the dangers and hazards have faded away.

The only time it will have truly have diminished is if we have a medication that will knock it out or a vaccine.
Since this fucking thing has already proven to mutate fairly quickly and reinfect people who already had it, I'm not holding my breath.
We need to wait until at least the end of June to see what the second cycle looks like.
We are in the middle of the two peaks that look kinda like boobs.
We've flattened out the one side but if we fuck it up the other side is going to go straight up.

On the topic of auto correct my Bro is probably pondering how to smoke a Cuban cover. Said cover is cigar shaped.....

Spot should have done a better job communicating this coupon. It isn't in the Circle app.

I saw on Reddit that it's going to be a physical coupon sent to your home and then you can scan it and add it to your offers in the app. Who knows if this is true or not.

All that said if they want to show their appreciation they should extend the $2...

Back