Archived Tips on bagging and scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I appreciate some advice from cashiers on how to get a rhythm going scanning and bagging and being efficient. I had trading and did a handful of transactions but struggled with juggling both scanning and bagging items. Any advice is appreciated!

You start to just get used to it after a while, and it becomes muscle memory. I can't tell you where the barcode on an item is, but you better believe I can have it found, scanned, and moved into a bag in a few seconds, sometimes less.

What's really scary is when you haven't cashiered for over a month, hop on a lane, and slip right back into your groove.

Ah! I didn't realize there was a thread! I'm posting the video I shared in the chat, in case anyone else is interested.

Also...
- Bread may go on eggs, but not the other way around
- Bagging is like Tetris
- Don't jumble everything in the bag like it were garbage
- Briefly observe and size up the order before thinking of your attack!
- Be prepared for hidden, stray yogurt containers behind the giant pack of toilet paper the guest put on the belt.

And....ALWAYS bag milk...unless the guest says not to. Milk is gross, and has milky condensation. I hate when the cashiers don't bag my milk! Yes it has a handle, but it's also dripping wet.

Last edited:
Ah! I didn't realize there was a thread! I'm posting the video I shared in the chat, in case anyone else is interested.

Also...
- Bread may go on eggs, but not the other way around
- Bagging is like Tetris
- Don't jumble everything in the bag like it were garbage
- Briefly observe and size up the order before thinking of your attack!
- Be prepared for hidden, stray yogurt containers behind the giant pack of toilet paper the guest put on the belt.

I like what you said every transaction is different and every transaction is going to have a different attack plan.
If it is mostly food focus on the food first then on the other stuff
Or vise Versa .

Hey I appreciate some advice from cashiers on how to get a rhythm going scanning and bagging and being efficient. I had trading and did a handful of transactions but struggled with juggling both scanning and bagging items. Any advice is appreciated!

Honestly, I never got bagging training, I just bag how *I* want my stuff bagged and common sense. I'm just a back-up cashier (always HL), but I always put cold stuff with cold/frozen. I never mix chemicals with anything consumable or clothing. Anything heavy, I double bag, I don't care what the handbook says about Target bags says about it "being strong" -- BS, I've had stuff break. If it's heavy, I'll double bag it. I always ask guests if they want hangers and if they don't, I remove them before I scan. I scan the belt instead of just scanning items as they come to me so I bag more effectively. And for other stuff like... boxed items, soda boxes, paper towels, toilet papers, etc -- I always ask them if they want a strap/target sticker strap/etc. Even though I'm not a cashier, I always strive for Green. And I always check the eggs before scanning and yes, soft grocery items can go on top like others have said.

And... though you didn't ask. I like to converse with guests while scanning. I ask them about their day, ask them about cartwheel, offer them RedCard (I've gotten a few even though I'm not a cashier), and also I like to talk to them about some purchases. For me, I think it's nice to be personable to your guests, you just don't want them to think you're just there to check out their items and get their money.

Just start with scanning accuracy. Scan everything and pay attention to prompts.
Redcard speech
Start scanning and prompt guest for payment
And learn to scan clothes, and wait to take off hangers after payment
Bag food items separate and cold stuff together.

Learn where the DPCIs are located on clothes (inside tags) and Target Brand items.

Then when you're done with bagging, walk around & put them in the cart.
This allows you to:
-See under the kiddie seat & below for any missed items (whether accidental or on purpose), especially Coke cartons or jugs of Tide that are nearly the same color as the cart.
-Gives you a chance to flex your legs after standing in one spot for a long time
-Eliminates 'paid & left' merchandise
-A final touch of good guest service.

By the way you guys are amazing ! I'm looking forward to work instead of being consumed by failure and worry.

And....ALWAYS bag milk...unless the guest says not to. Milk is gross, and has milky condensation. I hate when the cashiers don't bag my milk! Yes it has a handle, but it's also dripping wet.

YMMV but I don't ever want my milk bagged. The condensation on the outside shouldn't be milky either. I can carry two gallons in one hand unbagged but can't do that bagged. So, I always ask.

I get to go put this into practice ! Going over everything before shift ! That for your advise and wisdom !

Last edited:
Think about how the stuff you buy is bagged and use that as a guideline. When in doubt, ask if they want X bagged separately from Y, or Z in a bag when you normally wouldn't ask somebody to bag that for you. Because most the time they're not going to mind but the one time you forget to ask...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back