Archived TL Interview advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anniecat

Sr. GSTL!
So first I'll start with a bit of some background on me: I was a softlines seasonal hire last year that was kept on permanently. In march of this year I was promoted to a brand position, our other softlines brand person quit in April and since we haven't refilled the position because we don't really have anyone qualified for it. I haven't made it any secret that I want to be a TL and several of my TL have also expressed interest in wanting that for me. For the past month I haven't had a softlines TL because one is on an LOA and one took an extended vacation so I've basically been TL especially on truck days, overall its gone well and my LODs have been happy with my performance for the most part.

I've began to do mock interviews and will do a couple more before I do my actual interviews. I guess my question is what's the best advice you can give someone going through TL interviews and what's your favorite/least favorite thing about being a TL?

That's a good thing. You may be on the tl bench for starters, depending on your store size.
^^This!! Also make sure you are fair and consistent with everyone. Make sure you you "Manage your business" by knowing your metrics about your dept. (sales, items on ad, etc.) Also, there will be lots of paperwork required by you. Basically, you have to evaluate your team members individually. (Attendance issues, pushing correctly, following your instructions, etc.) Those were the things I had to do when I was a TL. I have since stepped down from being a TL for personal reasons, but encourage and support all those who want to grow!!

That's a good thing. You may be on the tl bench for starters, depending on your store size.
Yeah I've heard conflicting things about whether or not there will be a position open or if I'll be on the bench. I think we might technically have a position open because we have lost two team leads since I've started and never refilled their positions so I don't know. Either way I'm fine with it for now because if I have to be on the bench for awhile I can use it to improve my leadership skills without actually having all the responsibilities of a leader.

Biggest piece of advice for the TL interviews is to be yourself. I have read this from many people on here and it did help me in my interview processes. Definitely listen to the feedback on the mock interviews. My process happen very quickly so the mock interviews were helpful.

My favorite thing about being a TL is seeing the process or area you are working in doing well and succeeding.

Least favorite is sometimes the workload. Especially during the end of 4th quarter and being of 1st quarter, when you have everything to do but very little coverage to do it.

Good luck on the interview!

Make sure you answer questions with a larger scope answer showing you know how your decisions/actions impact the whole business.

I went through several team lead interviews. It took me awhile until a few years ago, it was the right time. I felt very comfortable interviewing with the DTL and the PMBP at the time. It helped that the STL and ETLs had my back too.

Biggest thing to remember is it doesn't matter what the answer is, its more your presentation. Can you prioritize tasks? Can you handle a conflict well? Things of that nature.

I think the worst part is when something is not getting done, you as a TL are responsible. You have to put friendships aside.

We just had 4 internal turn downs and that was the number one area for feedback. Scope. Can't interview for team lead with a team member mentality

Can't stress this enough. My current TL is far too wrapped up in certain tasks and it's showing in other areas of my workcenter.

And other Leads throughout the store are always pushing me to get results I can't get alone for the goal of getting me used to leading effectively and it's absolutely been a learning experience. Makes me feel silly for ever thinking I was ready to become a TL lol.

Also: If the recent change in your status thing is any indication, congrats on the ETL Internship HRZone!

I’d like to thank everyone for their advice and give an update. I passed my interview and am now officially on the bench! I’m also making the move from brand to gsa, both because our store needs another gsa and because my stl thinks that I’d make a good GSTL. So thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back