Archived TL Position Offered.. Not sure what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I need some advice. Im new here and everything but anyways, I've only been at target for just under 3 month. I was in electronics all during seasonal, I got promoted to GSA in January and there is still so much I do not know yet but at the same time I have learned a decent amount. I'm just not comfortable at all. Then last week one of the ETLs pulled me aside and asked me if I was interested in becoming a TL and they told me I would be prepped for the interview and etc. I said yes but we haven't sat down yet.

So Im kinda overwhelmed with all this going on and Im also a student but I still want to do it. I never worked retail before and Im pretty surprised this is all happening so fast especially since I don't know the ins and outs of everything yet. So I just have 2 questions.

1. Should I say something about the pay raise for the GSA position?
2. What are good ways to prepare myself to become a TL if the time does come soon?

What is there to say about the pay raise for GSA? It's 50 cents over base pay. A TL would be a few more dollars.

If you like a challenge and have a drive to do more go for it the company needs you.

If your ETL just offered you the position that's good that means you have their buyin and they think you are able to do the job.

Don't be nervous about the experience or workload just learn from your mistakes and improve. If you miss a goal or metric find a way to improve it or come up with a plan to.

TL is a lot of baby sitting your TMs are what make you successful so you have to learn how to manage talent. Recognize the play makers and manage the ones that need help. If you can't get your team on track it will be an uphill battle.

But all in all take the position. As far as the pay question you should bring it up because your TL position isn't set in stone yet so that's money your not getting that you've earned. I would politely bring it up to your HR.

To prepare yourself start learning how to manage talent that'll help you a lot. Oh and get your typing speed up :) that'll help with the coachings

EDIT: Keep talking to your ETL about the open position make sure they know you are interested and are passionate about the area you'll be put in. I've seen plenty of great TMs get passed over because that.

Last edited:
Okay so I need some advice. Im new here and everything but anyways, I've only been at target for just under 3 month. I was in electronics all during seasonal, I got promoted to GSA in January and there is still so much I do not know yet but at the same time I have learned a decent amount. I'm just not comfortable at all. Then last week one of the ETLs pulled me aside and asked me if I was interested in becoming a TL and they told me I would be prepped for the interview and etc. I said yes but we haven't sat down yet.

So Im kinda overwhelmed with all this going on and Im also a student but I still want to do it. I never worked retail before and Im pretty surprised this is all happening so fast especially since I don't know the ins and outs of everything yet. So I just have 2 questions.

1. Should I say something about the pay raise for the GSA position?
2. What are good ways to prepare myself to become a TL if the time does come soon?

like what's been said, what's to say about the pay raise? target abuses them at times, but for the most part they work a few shifts as gstl a week and the rest not.

being seen ready, are you able to lead a team and get them to behavior change. you are probably a hard worker, but that doesn't make a good manager.

prepped for the bench, you have to be global. gstl isn't the next spot up, its tl anywhere.

what they're looking for in interview questions with the dtl is scope. so you had a guest complaint that you solved. great. are you looking at how it effects sales and the store? just keep that in mind for good stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back