Archived TM and cell phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel bad for the HR team member who has to hear everyone's phones buzzing and ringing constantly in their lockers all day...

Ours must be kept in our lockers on silent.The same rule applies to everyone who works in the store from the STL on down.I agree totally with that too. PDAs have clocks on them, so do all POS. If an ETL or tm needs me they use the walkie. If my family needs to get in touch with me they simply call the store. Any information a guest may need would be available on the PDA. Reviews of products should be left up to the guest. We can show them what we have and what the specs are.Eventually someone will have their phone ruined at work and will ask Target to pay for it. At that time the entire company will make a hard fast rule of no cell phones on the salesfloor. Texting should be done either on your break or lunch. I would never try to justify using my phone while I am being paid to do a job.

We're supposed to keep ours in our lockers. Some TMs don't and text while on the floor anyway, I know a few who have been coached for it, but to my knowledge no one "promoted to guest" (I like that term lol)

Whoever is fitting room/operator can get away texting pretty easily, but I don't do it when I work back there, not worth it if I were to get caught.

What does the operator think AP does all day? Most team members don't know the blind spots. I can assure you the operator is NOT a blind spot.

Yea I'm a Cart Attendant, I keep mine to constantly check the time (bcus your doing so many things you lose track of time) . Even if you do use it, just dont text with it while working or even worse get caught. I got caught once only bcus I was expecting a call from my bank regarding a "fraud incident", which was fixed but the LoD caught me (weird thing was she wasnt even working that day, just shopping :O)

Yea I'm a Cart Attendant, I keep mine to constantly check the time (bcus your doing so many things you lose track of time) . Even if you do use it, just dont text with it while working or even worse get caught. I got caught once only bcus I was expecting a call from my bank regarding a "fraud incident", which was fixed but the LoD caught me (weird thing was she wasnt even working that day, just shopping :O)

This is weird, the same thing happened to me I'm a Cart Attendant, I keep mine to constantly check the time (bcus your doing so many things you lose track of time) . Even if you do text it, just dont use with it while working or even worse get caught. I got caught once only bcus I was expecting a call from my fraud regarding a "bank incident", which was fixed but the LoD caught me (weird thing was she wasnt even shopping that day, just working :O)

At my store all of the TMs kept their phone on em at all times. I would occasionally txt in the bath room or if the store was empty behind the cash register.

At my new job if you get caught as much as looking at your cellphone you get automatically suspended or fired. If your in the break room its all good. They kinda of half hardly threw up cameras so there are blind spots. But I don't want to risk it. Of course I still txt on the toilet.

I keep mine on me only because my kids are in school and if they need to contact me, they can right away. I can't rely on the store operators. I work in electronics so it is helpful to show guests my iphone if they have questions about that or an ipod touch. Guests are extremely grateful when I can show them step by step how to use the ipod or iphone. ;)

I feel bad for the HR team member who has to hear everyone's phones buzzing and ringing constantly in their lockers all day...

Exactly what I came here to say.

DEAR TARGET TEAM MEMBERS:

PLEASE silence or turn off your phone if you want to leave it in your (METAL) locker. When your mom calls you over and over and over and over again, your HR team begins to wonder if it's a phone, or their mind disintegrating.

We allow them to carry their phones but they must be off or on silent. They are NOT allowed to be talking or texting on their phones during their shifts. Period. If they have an issue going on at home where they need their phone they must clear it with HR first.

THAT SAID...............I am getting really, really, REALLY sick and tired of watching our execs and new execs in training walk around texting, sitting on their rumps at the computer texting, leaning on stuff texting....

You get the picture, right?

I was asked about mine - once - I told H / R - "Mrs. Fatass" - my youngest son is standing on a patch of sand someplace - and if a call from him is missed about one of his squad croaking and I cant call one of the other parents in the group.
toetap05.gif

Just like my parents did for me and my buddy's 40-ish years ago. :thumbsup:

Kinda like a School Snow Closing telephone chain ;)

Only a wee-bit more important
rolleyes5.gif

Spot has "Zero" Control over my personal life ---- "PERIOD"
rolleyes5.gif

Plus - I Allow my STL to call me on my cell if he doesn't want our conversation heard by the whole store
target.gif

None of our LOD's have their phone's on them, we keep them on our desks....only time we have them are if the phones are out or if there is a potential natural disaster (tornado)

When I build bikes, I keep my phone on me, one, to listen to music, and two, when a bike gives me sass, I can google potential solutions for it. Last week a Mongoose had no info in the manual, but a 20 second google search solved it for me.

Direction at my District, is that all Key carriers carry their cell phones on them, incase of an emergency? We should not text on the sales floor.

I always keep my phone on me.
I rarely get a text between the hours of 10pm and 6am, so the only time I take it out is if I need the calculator when backstocking a large quantity.

Being in the backroom, at least at my store, it varies. I know that most team members on the floor carry their phones with them. In the backroom (especially if you are by yourself and there is no one working with you and it is slow) there are times where I believe if it is not impacting your productivity, then there is no harm in texting. Also I don't know if anyone else has a policy on this, but in the backroom when either early morning or closing I know you can kind of listen to music (one of those it is okay but at the same time it is not kind of deals). My ETL said no earbuds, however there was nothing said about playing music from pandora out of your iphone speakers, so I worked around that rule real quick, and for the most part my LOD's and Logistics TL and ETL are okay with it, as long as that is not all you do and you get all your tasks done.

Here is a suggestion for everybody who started they use their phone to see what time it is...GET A WATCH. Its this crazy time telling device that straps on to your wrist, all you have to do is look at it to see what time it is and you won't have to risk getting into trouble. You can find one in the jewelry/accessory area of your store from $12 to $30, you can even get an additional 10% off...look at that!

On a side note, all 10 of our key carriers carry their cell phones on them in case of an emergency, for example the other day our network completely went down (phones and all) and we had a code green which required immediate medical attention.

Here is a suggestion for everybody who started they use their phone to see what time it is...GET A WATCH. Its this crazy time telling device that straps on to your wrist, all you have to do is look at it to see what time it is and you won't have to risk getting into trouble. You can find one in the jewelry/accessory area of your store from $12 to $30, you can even get an additional 10% off...look at that!

Thank you! Also, it's 15% off with a RedCard. :-D

My store says you cant have them on the floor, but doesnt enforce it all that much. I use mine since i work in electronics and the garbage information we're given on products doesnt help. I have been told i had to go put it in the lockers, to which i replied (and its completely true) "I am an emergency contact for several people; those being my family, my close friend, and a fellow worker. Two of them have serious health issues and i must be able to answer their emergency call." After that i haven't heard a word about having my cellphone.

When I first started working, I kept mine in my locker because that's what HR told me was required. But it didn't take long for me to see that everyone carried their phones - and they considered me crazy for keeping mine in the locker for my first two weeks. XD Now I carry it with me and use it as a watch.

What annoys me is two of my co workers who are always on their phones. Yesterday one of them had a twenty minute conversation on the phone with her BFF while she was zoning shoes, while the store was open. o.o

I pulled mine out in front of the STL and she told me I cant have it on me and I told her I have a wife and a newborn at home so I will be keeping it on me...So I have it on my hip with the ringtone turned all the way up...I'm not going to have my wife sit through having to call the store if there is an emergancy.

There have been emergencies long before cell phones existed. If your wife, mother, neighbor or anyone has such an extreme emergency they should be calling 911 not you at work. Realistically most of the time someone pulls out their phone they check facebook, or any other message that rarely if ever constitutes an emergency.

I've got calls while next to the STL on the salesfloor and she was like "aren't you going to answer that?" ETLs don't mind as long as you are doing your job and not goofing completely.

Yes they should call 911. But there's a reason there a such things as emergency contacts. And 911 will call you, or the hospital that said person is admitted to. Realistically texts/facebook happen, but so do emergencies. Hence why i will refuse to leave mine in a locker. I dont abuse it while out on the floor. Ive gotten permission from my STL to use it to help guests, so it stays with me regardless.

True they should be calling 911 if there is an emergancy but I would like to find out about sooner rather then later and thats why the cell phone was such an awesome invention

In my personal opinion, based on my experience in retail over the years, the whole no cell phones thing is just fighting a hopeless battle and one that's not really worth fighting.

If someone is say, talking on the phone while waiting on customers then yeah, I have a problem with that.

If they are say, sending a quick text while facing a shelf, what's the big deal?

How's it any different from two employees talking while they're facing a shelf?

MY personal favorite humorous cell phone story...

This one time at band camp, one of the assistant managers and I were working over night, resetting the end caps.

Store policy was no cell phones allowed on the sales floor.

This guy not only had his phone with him, but was talking to his girlfriend while pulling stock off of one of the end caps.

Someone happened along and yelled at him, get to work, *insert managers name.*

I said, he is working.

Other guy said, no he's not, he's talking on the phone.

Who's to say you can't do both at the same time?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back