Archived TM walked out in middle of shift.. consequences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClearanceMaster

Price Accuracy TM
So we had a team member walk out in the middle of their shift the other day.. They came back a couple days later and as far as I can tell, nothing was done about it.

Is there something that should have been done that my management isn't doing... a coaching, corrective action.. I always assumed walking out in the middle of your shift was voluntary termination. This TM gets away with anything and everything..

Last edited:
It's possible there was a coaching or corrective action. They usually keep those confidential, though, so unless the TM tells you (the truth) you will never have the full story on what happened to them.

This. It's possible they got coached or got a CCA. It's also possible they told a TL or ETL or the LOD they were sick/had a family emergency/whatever and said leader told them to go ahead and go home if they needed to. I had to go home a little early yesterday myself, I was feeling sick (still am) and I talked to the LOD and he went ahead and called someone in early. I stayed until they showed up then clocked out and went home.

In the end neither case is really any of your business unless you're a leader. If them becoming unreliable becomes a pattern you could mention that to your TL, but that's about as far as your involvement goes (or should go).

Sorry that was my fault for not giving more details. They had a talk with our TL and I guess they got fed up and walked out. Not clocked out or asked to leave. There was no family emergency it was walking out on pure anger.. an ETL told me this (and only that because they wanted to see if I could finish the work by myself)

This is only the tip of the iceberg with this TM and while you may think this is none of my business..this is one of many events caused by this TM that I feel have gone unpunished ranging from shouting at other TMs on the floor to calling out or trying to force me to pick up a shift for them because they have to study and "I have nothing better to do because I'm a loser"

Last edited:

They were just ticked off because they were being talked to about their actions recently.

Maybe there was a family emergency. Maybe the TM got sick. I could come up with more but the point is you don't know. Let your leadership deal with it. I try to give my coworkers the benefit
of doubt. Sorry if this sounds harsh.

There wasnt. That would be completely understandable if it was the case. It's hard to give someone the benefit of the doubt when they are always complaining and being rude to you over stupid things..

It kind of is my business when they leave me with a 20 hour workload to do in 8 hours because they can't control their temper :(.

Going back to the point that was made about the TM being put on a final.
They aren't going to tell you that and if the TM is as much of a PITA as you say, then they aren't either.
All you can do is hope they're going to give this character enough to strangle themselves.

Going back to the point that was made about the TM being put on a final.
They aren't going to tell you that and if the TM is as much of a PITA as you say, then they aren't either.
All you can do is hope they're going to give this character enough to strangle themselves.

our ETL bends over backwards to make them happy. I don't think theyre doing the right thing in this situation..
If I complained about someone's attitude, and they were talked to about it.. I may not know they were talked to about it.. but their attitude would most likely change.. So I would know .. but their attitude/attendance is so spotty over the past year (and I've been vocal about it) so they have to be aware. It doesn't take a year to term someone for bad attendance/being late/yelling at TMs. We finally got this TM "coached" and they walk out right after.. we were so excited. Then they show up 3 days later :(:(

OK...said TM tries to force you in to taking a shift....because you are a loser? Sounds to me like these are words coming from someone who is a bully. You do not need to have this TM be this way to you.
I'd suggest that you try to address the issue of being bullied. You deserve better that what you're dealing with. If it is at all possible talk to your TL about this TM. If nothing happens then speak to HR. If nothing happens call integrity hotline.

Make sure that you can document days, times, comments and situations.....when you can provide examples to your TL, ETL -HR, or to the hotline it is easier for them to help you out.

If this TM bullies you and others you (and others) need to talk to TL or ETL-HR. Bullying is not an acceptable behavior. You deserve to be in a safe environment.

OK...said TM tries to force you in to taking a shift....because you are a loser? Sounds to me like these are words coming from someone who is a bully. You do not need to have this TM be this way to you.
I'd suggest that you try to address the issue of being bullied. You deserve better that what you're dealing with. If it is at all possible talk to your TL about this TM. If nothing happens then speak to HR. If nothing happens call integrity hotline.

Make sure that you can document days, times, comments and situations.....when you can provide examples to your TL, ETL -HR, or to the hotline it is easier for them to help you out.

If this TM bullies you and others you (and others) need to talk to TL or ETL-HR. Bullying is not an acceptable behavior. You deserve to be in a safe environment.

Yes because "I am a loser and do not have a life outside of work". I did start a note with the dates and events that occured. They write it off as "them being passionate about their work center". My TL is supportive and manipulated the schedule so we work once or twice a week together. . My ETL not so much..The only thing that wasn't tolerated was the loser comment, and that's why they were talked to and the whole walking out event happened..

Looks like you are working on getting this taken care of. It is good to see that your TL is supportive and changes the schedule to help out so the two of you don't work together as much. TL is going out of his/her way to help. However, this is not the best way to handle it.....because now BOTH of you are being bullied. You didn't say which ETL you've spoken to. You have to talk to ETL-HR and if HR isn't helping out you have three options: 1) call the integrity hot line, 2) talk to HR best practices upper-level management, or 3) ignore it all and let the TM bully you....and your TL.

If you choose #1 you are being proactive.
If you choose #2 call the target TMSC number and they should help you to contact HRBP.
If you choose option #3, then don't expect a miracle and don't complain.

Looks like you are working on getting this taken care of. It is good to see that your TL is supportive and changes the schedule to help out so the two of you don't work together as much. TL is going out of his/her way to help. However, this is not the best way to handle it.....because now BOTH of you are being bullied. You didn't say which ETL you've spoken to. You have to talk to ETL-HR and if HR isn't helping out you have three options: 1) call the integrity hot line, 2) talk to HR best practices upper-level management, or 3) ignore it all and let the TM bully you....and your TL.

If you choose #1 you are being proactive.
If you choose #2 call the target TMSC number and they should help you to contact HRBP.
If you choose option #3, then don't expect a miracle and don't complain.

I talked to my direct ETL-GE. My TL pulled me into the office with our HR and we chatted about stuff but not since this most recent event. I guess I'll see about doing that tomorrow/Monday. I don't do sit-downs very well and get extremely nervous. Talking to my TL is just way easier than my HR for some reason. I will do option #1 though if it doesn't work.. thanks.

I know, I hate sit-downs, too. I get stressed and talk too much.
Good luck with your call.

FYI...when you call the hotline your issue is directed to your district manager. So now, the DTL is in the loop.
Also, after you call the hotline they give you a claim/tracking number....call back if you need to.

The hardest part of calling the hotline is making the call. The people who answer are there to help you. Be organized and make sure you have time to talk.

So we had a team member walk out in the middle of their shift the other day.. They came back a couple days later and as far as I can tell, nothing was done about it.

Is there something that should have been done that my management isn't doing... a coaching, corrective action.. I always assumed walking out in the middle of your shift was voluntary termination. This TM gets away with anything and everything..

This is case by case. Meaning that the direct leader will need to have a seek-to-understand conversation to make sure there weren't any outside factors.

Most likely if they left because of personal reasons (sick, family or whatever) it is documented as an attendance issue. Leaders need a pattern (2-3) in order for the coaching process to begin.

If they left after a leader told them that they can't leave, this falls under insubordination which could lead to termination (highly unlikely).

That being said, if you bring it up to a leader and if the store is competent, the store will document this issue and it will be dealt with... You won't know the outcome of the action because it confidential.

Good question.

Thx,

Just the other day we had a tm who " disappeared" from the backroom a couple hours into their shift. We asked, have you seen so and so...no one had. We found out the next day the person had simply left without saying anything to anyone because they did not feel well. My thing is IF I have ever had to leave early for anything ...I have told /asked the lod , my tl and told my co workers...so everyone knows I just didn't go mia.

I know, I hate sit-downs, too. I get stressed and talk too much.
Good luck with your call.

FYI...when you call the hotline your issue is directed to your district manager. So now, the DTL is in the loop.
Also, after you call the hotline they give you a claim/tracking number....call back if you need to.

The hardest part of calling the hotline is making the call. The people who answer are there to help you. Be organized and make sure you have time to talk.

Spoke to HR today. There has been multiple complaints about said person and they aren't going to corrective action them or anything but they are moving them to another workcenter. I told her I feel like this will only pawn the problem on someone else (still my TLS workcenter) and to be sure to ask the other team how they adjusted lol.. I was a nervous wreck during the talk though..

Glad to hear that you spoke to your HR. Moving a TL from one area to another area often just does what you said....it pawns the problem off to that other group.....and the whole thing starts all over. My store has moved people around....they do a TL re-alignment and several TLs go to new areas.

While HR has a solution, I think that it would still be a good thing to call the hotline......OR when the TM is moved keep an eye out and be ready to move forward if this TM continues this inappropriate behavior.

Thanks for letting us know what's going on.....keep up the good work!

Good to hear that you won't have to be dealing with the problem anymore.
Sorry that it sounds like someone else will.
This was fairly common in schools where lazy administrators didn't want to do the paperwork it took to fire a bad teacher, and I promise even with tenure it's not that difficult, so they would just transfer them to another school.
It was usually a difficult school where they knew the teacher would probably quit but that also explains why the worst schools always seemed to have the worst teachers.

I walked out before out of anger. I then came back later in the day with some demands. (no, im not a terrorist).. Those demands and with no punishment.. no nothing...

I am someone who shows up everyday no matter what and i get my job done... If you call in all the time and screw around a lot, you probably will not get this same treatment...

Typically, TLs and ETLs will fight for TMs who are worth fighting for...

Now with this certain situation at hand... that TM your describing sounds like a total dick... I hate working with people like that.. I dont care if their a good worker or not... People with the wrong attitude shouldn't be working there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back