Archived To Switch or Not to Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am one of the few TMs in my store who has been able to switch work centers (cashier to softlines). But now I am wondering if I should ask to go back to cashiering. The softlines ladies are rude and controlling. Plus I always work closing and at my store the salesfloor team has to stay about 30-60 minutes past closing on any given night whereas cashiers can leave right at store close. I like the sales floor best but I'm not sure if I should ask to go back to the front end. Thoughts?

Maybe if you just give it more time you'll enjoy the change, or at least get used to it. Those ladies might be controlling now but just need to see you adjust to and learn the processes. I imagine they'd have to come around eventually. And the extra time on the clock is extra money!
Just my thoughts.

Controlling is just another way of saying people want you to actually work. Somebody needs to be in control or people will just stand around and chit chat.

Last edited:
Just give it a little time. They may be waiting to see if you actually work or are a slacker. Once you demonstrate your work ethic, maybe they will come around. If you still don't like it, it shouldn't be difficult to switch back to cashier.

It depends on the store I guess. At my old one we had a TL that wanted to step down and just be a regular TM. They said absolutely not so she quit.

Controlling is just another way of saying people want you to actually work. Somebody needs to be in control or people will just stand around and chit chat.
No, that's not what I mean by controlling. I mean if someone calls me on the walkie, someone else answers for me. Getting in my face about something I was never told I should be doing. Telling me I need to go backup cashier.
Once you demonstrate your work ethic, maybe they will come around.
You really shouldn't assume. I have a very good work ethic and know my job duties. I ask questions if there's something im not sure of. I'm not talking about TMs making sure I do my job (which is what TLs and above are for). I'm talking about people not allowing me to do my job.

No, that's not what I mean by controlling. I mean if someone calls me on the walkie, someone else answers for me. Getting in my face about something I was never told I should be doing. Telling me I need to go backup cashier.
You really shouldn't assume. I have a very good work ethic and know my job duties. I ask questions if there's something im not sure of. I'm not talking about TMs making sure I do my job (which is what TLs and above are for). I'm talking about people not allowing me to do my job.

Sorry if you misinterpreted my post. My point was that they see you ARE a hard worker, not to see IF you are a hard worker. Since you came from a different work center, you don't have any history with them.

Sounds like you need to talk to your TL about your concerns. The longer it continues, the more difficult it will be to break your TMs of their controlling ways. Or, you can ask to go back to cashiering.

No problem. I have been officially in this work center for two months and have been cross trained for quite some time so its not like they don't know me.
I am considering going to the TL/ETL but they are very close with these TMs. It seems pointless.

No problem. I have been officially in this work center for two months and have been cross trained for quite some time so its not like they don't know me.
I am considering going to the TL/ETL but they are very close with these TMs. It seems pointless.
You can talk to etl hr, too.

No. My etl-hr and I do not get along. If you aren't one of her favorite TMs, she will barely speak to you

I'm a new fitting room operator (and new to Target). Have to say I am shocked at the rudeness of the Softlines TMs to each other and to me. I have only had three shifts so far, but already I have heard two of them talking behind the back of a third one. The team lead is very curt and tells me to do things but doesn't explain why she is asking me to do things differently than in the training. If I ask questions she seems offended.

The TMs know that I am new, but two of them have already yelled at me. One for not getting the jewelry key when I opened (didn't know I was supposed to). Another is obsessed about the right hanging procedure and if I make a mistake like putting it on the hanger in the wrong direction, she will refuse to take it out of the FR for reshop and just throw it back in my cart to do over. I am pretty intelligent and good at being organized so this isn't me not understanding, it's just trying to get into a routine.

The TL was pushing me to get all the carts emptied and hung or sorted into bins. That is fine, but the question is, not everything is obvious whether it is men's, women's or what. Having never been given time to walk the floor or see what we have in stock, it is a guessing game what item goes in the bin marked "gondola" versus what goes in infants or accessories. But, asking questions seems frowned upon. I cannot imagine why there isn't a sign with the DCPI numbers so I can look to see which department things belong to. Then if I get it wrong, they make me do it over.

I really felt like crying and considered quitting yesterday. During my previous shift, I had spent a long time hanging & sorting clearance items in the FR into the 30-50-70% categories. Only to later find out that in my store, all the clearance is hung together in one big mess (no separate percentage). Since I had wasted about an hour with a pointless task, and since we were short on the category separators to divide mens, boys, etc. I asked the TL if could re-label the clearance separators into the ones we needed. She said yes and I did (this helped me keep things straight to avoid the yelling TM) but yesterday I saw that someone destroyed the signs I made, now we are back to having these separate clearance category dividers that no one uses. Now what is going to happen the next time a new person is thrown in there with no training? Probably they will waste time too.

There is a big sign in the FR saying that all rewrap is to be done by the FR operator every single day, yet there is a stack of rewrap 3 feet high, no kidding, and I was told not to do it.

The absolute worst part is being told to reshop things on the floor, when I do not know where anything is. And it is difficult to learn when they have changed the floor around three times in the month I have been there. It seems crazy to me, to send me on the floor to randomly reshop things without having an orientation to the floor plan in the first place. I can waste 15 minutes wandering around trying to find the right location, it seems like a very unrealistic and inefficient system. Then they tell you just hang in anywhere if you can't find it. The amount of rework involved seems insane. Then later it needs to be zoned.

I can't understand either, why guest services doesn't have a rolling rack for returned or reshop clothes already on hangers. They just throw everything single thing, even baby food and shoes, into a cart along with clothes on hangers. Then the clothes fall off the hangers and the shoe boxes get opened and the baby food leaks.... Empty hangers are never sorted into categories according to size tags. You are just supposed to grab the right size one and always replace the size label to match the garment, every single time....

I can think of a bazillion ways to make this more efficient and fast, but as I said, the attitudes of people aren't positive and I don't know if I can stand it long enough to hope that I can eventually influence the process, if such a thing is possible. The pointlessness might kill my soul in the meantime. Is this a normal for a Target or is it just my store?

Thanks for your quick reply - which is normal? the rudeness or the nonsensical processes, or all of the above?

The rudeness is difficult but I think it's the undisciplined processes which will drive me insane. Have a hard time understanding why a corporation that seems so controlled by algorithms, doesn't recognize that the rubber meets the road on the floor. Maybe it's just me but it's frustrating to get these training materials which have absolutely no relationship to what is really going on. It seems like a no-win situation.

Thanks for your response. Yes I have read the guides and the corporate training materials, that is sort of my problem. This might not be apparent to people who have worked there for a while, but the training seems to be hindering more than helping, since it doesn't seem to apply. I mean, there is a great deal of confusion for a new person when they are given a training plan to complete, but the actual work assignments conflicts with/contradicts the training. It slows you down and confuses you. Meanwhile, tiny things that would help me be successful - like having the correct label on a rack separator - are actively discouraged.

To the original poster's point, it seems like the people in this department are very unhappy and acting out in unproductive and discouraging ways.

Last edited:
Spot has a change certain things in softlines. The direction is confusing to all teams. Discuss your concerns with your trainer. At my friend's store, the operator may have to answers questions about toys or electronics. Because the tm is too busy with multi guests.

Last edited:
To the original poster's point, it seems like the people in this department are very unhappy and acting out in unproductive and discouraging ways.

Yep. Do you also answer the phones at your store? Our operator does so my hr tends not to put new TMs in that position. I just started to recently get operator shifts and am still learning how to handle everything. It gets better with time.

#NotAllSoftlinesTeams

I think people are just not that receptive to new people so it takes a while to adapt to it. I felt unliked when I started, but that changed over time. I don't think the yelling is called for, though. And when things are hung wrong or on a wrong hanger by new TMs, I just politely remind them.. Or I fix it and say nothing because it's not a big deal lol. I wouldn't throw it. That's so extra. I'm always nice to new TMs, I think. I try to be, anyway.

Depending on your store, it might already be pretty busy. My store's hours have been low for sl until this week (but with lots of guest traffic), so we've been cutting corners. Rewrap is one of the first corners to be cut when fitting room is crazy.

OP, have you tried telling the other so TMs that stuff? I've had some words with a few TMs (and a TL) who were underestimating me and haven't had any of those things come up again. I didn't yell (okay, once... But with the tl. Probably don't do that), but I told them in a straightforward, stern way that I know what I'm doing and that I'm capable of xyz and if I need help or tips, I will ask. Idk. It worked for me. If you prefer sl, it may be worth it to try working the problems out.

Thanks @sher I think I may need to speak to the TL directly. She really does underestimate me. I spoke with the SrTL about this and she pretty much thought it was ridiculous that I think the TL thinks I don't know what I'm doing. I think the fundamental issue is that I am a cashier who works in softlines for 99% of her shifts. I kinda feel like I'm not really part of the TL's team and I believe she feels the same way. This needs to be addressed and I'm going to do that ASAP.

On the other hand, one of the TMs and I have basically worked things out. She and I have worked together less recently but when we are on the same shift, we pretty much give each other space.. There is another TM that is a major issue for our entire store. This person in particular has gotten in my face and talked to me in a way that I don't find acceptable and that was in front of my TL. This TM only works opening and I work almost exclusively closing so we dont interact much but if her actions continue, I'm going to take that up with the TL as well.

Yep. Do you also answer the phones at your store? Our operator does so my hr tends not to put new TMs in that position. I just started to recently get operator shifts and am still learning how to handle everything. It gets better with time.

Yes, I am also answering the phones!

Ditto on the attitude of the TL. She really talks down to me, never uses my name, never says thank you. She discouraged me from helping a TM who asked me for something while I was at the desk. Seems to have no idea how to manage people, and has favorites. She was trying on clothes on her break and her posse came to tell her how good she looked while she modeled styles in the FR. It's a lot like junior high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back