Archived Tps

Status
Not open for further replies.
what are the requirements to become a TPS?

I want to say there is no real requirement (Like a degree or previous training)to become a TPS. But of course any type of security training or schooling in Loss prevention or criminal justice wouldn't hurt.. I do advise not trying to become a TPS at your store because of the conflict of interest's..(Friendships already built with co-workers) Its hard to sever those when needed.

Also getting in good with your ETL-AP/AP-TL would be great.

Knowing these areas would be good however. Backroom/Salesfloor/Guest Service.

Last edited:
my ETL AP is new at our store, but he has heard of me and my work from other ETLs that left a long time ago somehow.

i am already a backroom TM, i know sales floor, ive never been put in guest service which they want me to learn sometime.

i just learned that there is a position open at my store and it caught my eye. how hard is it being a TPS? my store is in a rough neighborhood and we see stuff ALL the time

I think you have to be very observant, but not let the guests see that you are following them. Actually, I don't know why you wouldn't just use the camera.

my ETL AP is new at our store, but he has heard of me and my work from other ETLs that left a long time ago somehow.

i am already a backroom TM, i know sales floor, ive never been put in guest service which they want me to learn sometime.

i just learned that there is a position open at my store and it caught my eye. how hard is it being a TPS? my store is in a rough neighborhood and we see stuff ALL the time

The job of being TPS is hard at times you have to be mindful of people and be a leader when needed.The main requirment of being A.P is accountability and responsibility. People are going to be able to want to come to you with problems and expect you to know the answer. Sometimes just not possible. Also responding to crisis situations. Code Reds/Greens.Also when our numbers are red from the month expect to do more about shortage. But the fun things about being AP is that you trespass verbally or formal , deny any return, (Actually GSA's can do that anyway right?) Get to watch people on CCTV and be told alot more confidential info.

If you are in a "rough' neighbourhood I would think you'd have an APS (undercover guy with one store) Or IS (undercover but goes to multiple stores) visiting so be prepared to assist with apprehensions (handcuffing, restraining., the whole 9).

Its easy if you make it easy. But yea. One thing I strongly strongly suggest that if you want to be A.P slowly sever your ties to your "friends" at work because if you have to throw them under the bus it will make it easy on you.

Last edited:
The job of being TPS is hard at times you have to be mindful of people and be a leader when needed.The main requirment of being A.P is accountability and responsibility. People are going to be able to want to come to you with problems and expect you to know the answer. Sometimes just not possible. Also responding to crisis situations. Code Reds/Greens.Also when our numbers are red from the month expect to do more about shortage. But the fun things about being AP is that you trespass verbally or formal , deny any return, (Actually GSA's can do that anyway right?) Get to watch people on CCTV and be told alot more confidential info.

If you are in a "rough' neighbourhood I would think you'd have an APS (undercover guy with one store) Or IS (undercover but goes to multiple stores) visiting so be prepared to assist with apprehensions (handcuffing, restraining., the whole 9).

Its easy if you make it easy. But yea. One thing I strongly strongly suggest that if you want to be A.P slowly sever your ties to your "friends" at work because if you have to throw them under the bus it will make it easy on you.

im pritty sure we have an undercover guy, ive seen this one guy at the store all the time and he speaks to us as if he knows whats going on all the time.

i can see how severing ties with friends at work is relevant, i have already had to do that.

is there any interview you have to have? or do you just need your ETLs and STLs ok? im not sure how its done

im pritty sure we have an undercover guy, ive seen this one guy at the store all the time and he speaks to us as if he knows whats going on all the time.

i can see how severing ties with friends at work is relevant, i have already had to do that.

is there any interview you have to have? or do you just need your ETLs and STLs ok? im not sure how its done

Interviews are with your ETL-AP / AP-TL then with Your ETL-HR you could be interviewed by your STL depending on how your store operates but normally just ETL-HR.

A service desk TM can deny a return, too! Although I'd rather be the one to make *that* call, our return policy states:
Items that are opened or damaged or do not have a packing slip or receipt may be denied a refund or exchange

I thought TPS' were not allowed to handle cases of internal theft. If true, why would any friendships with current TMs have anything to do with your readiness to take on a TPS position if you are already a TM in another workcenter?

I thought TPS' were not allowed to handle cases of internal theft. If true, why would any friendships with current TMs have anything to do with your readiness to take on a TPS position if you are already a TM in another workcenter?

Hiring an internal TM for a TPS that have already made previous friendships at work could put confidentiality at risk. There has been many cases where TPS tell co-workers/friends what's going on in A.P whether it is internals/externals/. A TPS does not LEAD an internal case but would be put along as an support- investigator. Also as a TPS you should be making sure best practice is followed when it comes to preventing shortage and opportunist.

Shortage Example for me would be a GSA that I use to hang out with before A.P defected 4 items somebody tried to steal that I KNOW could have been repackaged. Instead she was lazy and Defected them all out and went Red ( I forget why they went red they should have been Salvage). So we lost the opportunity to make that sale now its a loss/shortage. I caught her right as the 2nd one was being defected ask why she didnt repackage, said too much work. I had to say something to the GSTL she got coached we no longer talk. Long story short it took me about 2 weeks of watching my "friends" do stupid stuff,give them a chance to correct themselves, but still do it again before I could say enough is enough and everybody started getting coached.

My first day closing a GSA left cash on a register and walked away. I didnt walk with the GSA because I didnt know what time they started but my walkie was on "3"for some reason.. I heard someone say hey you left some cash on the register...I had to review 20 minutes of tape make sure nobody touched it...Im sure that was a final warning or term but I should have said something to an ETL because thats my job I let that ..Sucks but it is what it is..wont ever happen again though..believe that.

Anyway they would prefer someone who isn't a blabber mouth and isn't afraid get someone in trouble. Which is why they hire external most of the time because they dont know any of the people they start working with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back