Archived Training Team Members on AP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupTarj

AP
As a TPS, I'd like to know how I can improve the AP "initiative" among non AP tm's at my store. Whether you're in AP or not, how do you train other tm's that motivate them to be more AP conscious and to better help your AP team reduce shrink?

Also, what do you like to see your TPS's do that shows initiative on their part (besides the usual routines)?

I would educate non ap tm's on how or what items should be reported for starters. Make sure they understand what a secure item is & how to lock it up.

I would educate non ap tm's on how or what items should be reported for starters. Make sure they understand what a secure item is & how to lock it up.

Make sure they know how to report empty packages on the PDA; it can't be done on the MyDevice yet.

What's a setup cart?
I second that, I've never heard of a setup cart before.
The thing I try to do is just make sure that everyone knows that they can call me for anything. I may ask to switch channels, but I would prefer to hear about something that turns out to be nothing, rather than allow something happen that could have been prevented.

At my store, a setup cart might be one of our carts that has two large wicker baskets in it (lids on with expensive merch inside) and a bunch of cheap distraction items. Scumbags will try to ring up and get past checklanes without paying for those items hidden in the baskets for example. Hell, they could even just throw stuff in their backpack and hide it in the cart, at least that's what I tend to see most of.

What's a setup cart?
I was taught about this as a cashier in a grocery store and have seen them frequently when someone is stopped for theft.

A setup cart is a shopping cart that has large, general items around the sides (toilet paper, diapers, soda, etc) and a spot in the center of the cart to stash high dollar merchandise (liquor, razor blades, baby formula, etc.). So if you walk past, you only see basic grocery items and not a cart full of some expensive items.

The thief can take his time walking around the store before concealing the items or slipping out with the whole cart.

Last edited:
I see. I've mostly stressed the BOB and LISA acronyms with my front end cashiers.

Any tips on keeping sales floor tm's keen on spotting and communicating suspicious behavior?

Last edited:
I see. I've mostly stressed the TOM and LISA acronyms with my front end cashiers.

Any tips on keeping sales floor tm's keen on spotting and communicating suspicious behavior?
I usually tell them the merchandise that I am seeing the most theft activity on. What to look for in a potential dishonest guest. Talk up by keeping this merch in the store we can have it for honest guests to purchase thus helping sales and in the long run hours for the team. When I get recoveries I'll share what they were trying to do so they hear how someone was trying to steal and that it happens regularly. Share pictures with them of repeat subjects but don't let them keep a copy.

Overall it comes down to we have to convince the team to care about theft and to watch for it as most of the time they are busy as hell working on a task. The best way I've found it to demonstrate a passion for theft and fraud when you are around the team so they will hopefully take the same type of attitude. Also when the team has a good call out or they get their own recovery they need some quality recognition.

I see. I've mostly stressed the TOM and LISA acronyms with my front end cashiers.
TOM? I know BOB, LISA, and PETER, but not TOM.
I usually have the GSTL's instruct their cashiers, one GSTL used to be a TPS before our store opened so he's great. I only talk to specific cashiers if I notice a repeating pattern or to commend them for doing a good job on something, and I'll follow it up by writing a Vibe card.

TOM? I know BOB, LISA, and PETER, but not TOM.
I usually have the GSTL's instruct their cashiers, one GSTL used to be a TPS before our store opened so he's great. I only talk to specific cashiers if I notice a repeating pattern or to commend them for doing a good job on something, and I'll follow it up by writing a Vibe card.

Correction, BOB and LISA. Clearly I haven't worked in a while ;)

Make sure cashiers are stepping out to load bags into the guest's cart. It's FFF and allows them to have a look in/under the cart.

Pickup Everything That Enters Register. Essentially the same as BOB.

It's also similar to TAG at the fitting room.

If you are telling your team about AP related best practices, but you are having a hard time getting the team to follow the directions, you could try doing something for them. Basically, you are adding more work to their job and they may not view your role as a leadership role, which means they don't like the extra work, and they feel they do not have to listen to you. So as a TPS myself, I do tend to do things in different areas that help out team members. For instance, if I am in Electronics for the day, I will help zone, or help with guest service. The reciprocity may help the TMs want to help the AP work center. Helping them makes their job easier, which means they would feel it is an equal trade to do something AP in return. It also improves my credibility with the team which means they are more willing to listen to me as I am not viewed as doing nothing all day.

Secondly, I know we like to share theft trends with the team, but I find that following up on shared trends, or tips goes along way in developing the culture. For instance, if I pass out a picture of an individual we are having trouble with so the team can call them out, I also inform the team when the issue has been resolved. If I get a empty packages or a tip about a suspicious guest from a team member, I make sure to follow up with the same individual about it. For example, I had a team member who saw someone enter the fitting room with an empty purse and leave it with a full purse and they told me. Turned out over a few weeks this individual was stealing the merchandise while someone else was returning it, a total loss of over 2k. Now because of that I have partnered with law enforcement and have resolved the issue. I have followed up with the team member and told them about the amount of impact to the store she uncovered and how it has been resolved. I let her know it was because she told me about it. This makes her feel like part of the AP team, and more likely to do the AP things in the future.

Finally, I would use recognition as much as possible. I recognized the team member in the above incident at huddles to make the team involvement in AP more transparent to the other team members. So I make sure to recognize every team member that has a Non-AP PMR and specifically mention what they did to get the PMR. It shows the other team what they should do and what they can expect when they do it. Most team members like the idea of having a $200 recovery, and if it could be had as easily as remembering BOB or LISA, then they will probably start doing it.

I have a question about LISA. I sometimes feel, I don't know, guilty about opening bags and looking inside. What do you say to a guest when they ask what I'm doing?

For the most part, Spot AP is impotent. TM even moreso...

Can't lay hands on... can't pursue... it's a joke.

Last edited:
I have a question about LISA. I sometimes feel, I don't know, guilty about opening bags and looking inside. What do you say to a guest when they ask what I'm doing?
When I'd ring up tote bags/purses, I'd pull out all the stuffing paper & the silica gel packets to toss. Even if they 'wanted' to keep the stuffing, I'd still go thru the bag.
If they asked I'd just say it was SOP to make it 'user-ready'.
When checking luggage sets, I'd tell them I was making sure that all pieces of the set were there as well as checking zippers & discarding packing material so it would be 'ready for use'.
If I found anything, I'd act as surprised as they did....and put the items in the stray bin without any accusatory behavior.
You always want to walk around & put bags in the cart because:
-You can look under the kiddie seat & bottom rack for missed items (casepacks of Coke & jugs of Tide are hard to spot because of color)
-You get a chance to stretch your legs after standing in one spot for long periods
-You eliminate paid & left merchandise by making sure they get out the door with everything
-You provide a final touch of good service so they leave with a good impression (mostly).

I do check BOB of every guest who has a cart for sure. I never thought to pull out the stuffing of totes/purses. The luggage is usually the toughest because the guest will just pull up the bar code for me to scan. I tend to ask for it and open it and pack their other bags inside. You know, to "make it easier" for them. lol But for someone who only has a piece of luggage, I guess I will have to employ the "I'm making sure everything works" reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back