Archived Transferring... What you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve read through several of the preexisting threads concerning transferring to different stores. So I am posting to seek a little more confirmation on the subject.
I do have a perfect work record at my store of 3 years now. I am highly depended on; so I don’t want to alarm anyone at my store about this transfer until I am ready for the actual move. (Just in case)
I am the lead OPU/trainer, originally hired for backstock. I am hoping to keep the back room and or OPU position. I do not want to upgrade to any other position or accept a new position in any other department with Target. Unlike most who seem to have a distaste for their Target job, I like my OPU position.

So....
Is it really a pain in the ass as expressed by so many to transfer?

Is it true that your hourly wage transfers with you?

Ideally when should I be submitting my request? How many months out?
I have some time to juggle with but I need to be relocated by the end of May 2019.

I keep watching the store I want but no new openings have posted online, none at the back up location either. Will this delay the transfer?

I have a great rapport with both Backroom leads and our stores ETL. With whom would it be best to discuss this future transfer with when I need to break the news?

Any additional information anyone has, please feel free to share. Rather it be positive or a negative experience.
Mucho gracious! :p

Talk to your ETL first and foremost. They'll be the most able to help you out here. Your pay does transfer -but- only if it's the same Department / Role. Discussing it with your ETL they may be able to figure out how to get a position open as the transfer does require said position to be open for you to actually transfer.

Really talk to your ETL and talk to ETL HR and start as soon as possible. Transfers take time and the more time you have the better. I've transferred Stores before and it took time but my ETL HR was understanding and truly made it a lot less stressful then it could be.

Ultimately your STL must vouch for you with the STL of the store you want to go to, regardless of your standing. It then takes the HR of your store to communicate with the HR of the store you want to go to get things rolling. In my decade and a half of being at Target, transferring twice, HR has always been the hiccup and where the ball has been dropped. As for pay it depends on where you are transferring to. I had one team member transfer from a California store to a store in Nebraska and they told her in no certain terms no matter how good she was, she is not getting her California pay. If you transferring within state I see no problem with you maintaining your pay, unless the minimum wages requirements in the city are drastically different (like San Francisco or Seattle for example).

Last edited:
Although your direct ETL is important they are not nearly as important as your STL. If your STL is a suspicious type or overly paranoid, with my most recent one coming to mind, tread lightly. Give more concrete examples on why you want to make the move to the point of lying if need be. For some STLs they can take it as an affront on their performance on how they are handling their store if one of their best leaves. I have had those same type of STLs make things even more difficult for the person requesting a transfer by nitpicking on things that would otherwise be ignored prior. If you have a solid and honest STL who has a backbone and who believes in the future success of their team members, you should absolutely have no problem.

Last edited:
Although your direct ETL is important they are not nearly as important as your STL. If your STL is a suspicious type or overly paranoid, with my most recent one coming to mind, tread lightly. Give more concrete examples on why you want to make the move to the point of lying if need be. For some STLs they can take it as an affront on their performance of how they are handling their store if one of their best leaves. I have had those same type of STLs make things even more difficult for the person requesting a transfer by nitpicking on things that would otherwise be missed prior. If you have a solid and honest STL who has a backbone and who believes in the future success of their team members, you should absolutely have no problem.
That's so wrong. It's abuse of their own system.

I don't think you necessarily need the position you want to be hiring to transfer, they generally will just meld you in with their current roster unless it's a highly specialized department or they desperately need help elsewhere. I'd just tell your store you're moving (even if you're not) and give them the date you want to end at your store and start at your new one. Your HR will contact the store for you and give them your list of department experience and whether they recommend you. Keep in mind the store you want doesn't have to take you, so if you NEED to get out of your current store then have a backup store in mind.

My own transfer went smoothly enough. I gave them about a 3 week notice to my leaving and took a week off before starting the new store. The only delay in hearing back was that the new store's ETL HR was on vacation that week so I called for updates a couple times. Pay stayed the same, workcenter stayed the same.

My transfer was botched, but I salvaged it.

They knew I was leaving for months, but (for reasons on my end) I did not give them my list of stores to transfer to until about three weeks before I had to move. My ETL-HR seemed to like me, but I absolutely know my STL hated me. He wouldn't even look at me, just turn his head in disgust if I was around. SFS was understaffed and he likely blamed me for any issue or lack of profit there, but I also know he judged me for my social disability, based on my experiences with him. My ETL-HR said he emailed the stores I wanted to work at, but had not heard back (apparently more efficient communication did not exist). I kept following up with him, so he said he'd call them and then call me with any updates. Took my phone number but never called me, and by then, I had to move.

I salvaged it by applying at the store I wanted to work at (during seasonal hiring). They hired me and since it had been a month since I last worked for Target, they reinstated my employment and yes, I kept my original wage. I mostly did OPU/SFS, and now I do a mix of that along with backroom, which is what I wanted. OPU is definitely my specialty and I am not scheduled for it as often as I'd like. Be aware that when you start at a new store, they will likely already have people established at OPU and you will have to make an extra effort, whether in performance or expressing your interest in OPU. I will probably eventually talk to one of my leads about getting more OPU shifts.

I agree with others that your relationship with the STL matters. I'd probably start talking to HR about it at least a month before the move. But my most important piece of advice would be to talk to the store you want to work at yourself, rather than leaving it up to HR. And be persistent.

Thank you everyone who took the time to respond to my inquiry. I do appreciate each persons input and advice.

I’ve read through several of the preexisting threads concerning transferring to different stores. So I am posting to seek a little more confirmation on the subject.
I do have a perfect work record at my store of 3 years now. I am highly depended on; so I don’t want to alarm anyone at my store about this transfer until I am ready for the actual move. (Just in case)
I am the lead OPU/trainer, originally hired for backstock. I am hoping to keep the back room and or OPU position. I do not want to upgrade to any other position or accept a new position in any other department with Target. Unlike most who seem to have a distaste for their Target job, I like my OPU position.

So....
Is it really a pain in the ass as expressed by so many to transfer?

Is it true that your hourly wage transfers with you?

Ideally when should I be submitting my request? How many months out?
I have some time to juggle with but I need to be relocated by the end of May 2019.

I keep watching the store I want but no new openings have posted online, none at the back up location either. Will this delay the transfer?

I have a great rapport with both Backroom leads and our stores ETL. With whom would it be best to discuss this future transfer with when I need to break the news?

Any additional information anyone has, please feel free to share. Rather it be positive or a negative experience.
Mucho gracious! :p
Pufff where do I start? I’ve began my transfer journey few months back and my stl has been blocking the shit out of it that now even the DTL got involved telling me I cant just leave . I’m still waiting for a date. Last I check with my stl was that I’m at the bussines needs. The new store no longer have the position opened obviously they took it down , however the etl at the new store rather suffer without a TL until I get there .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back