Transgender and Bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Target NPC What you should do first is hit the ignore button on @invictustaylor

Then, ask your questions and everyone who isn't a troll will try their best to answer them.

I actually don't mind his responses. I do mind the people whom are taking them far too seriously and then derailing the thread for PAGES trying to argue. I swear, people here are so fucking uptight, they're so easy to troll. I also don't believe in ignoring. I'm more proactive than that.

Well, besides the "script" that Target has sort of given TMs to use when guests ask about the bathroom policy...how much can we get away with in discussing the issues with the guests? I can't even remember the script I was told. So when guests ask me about it, I just tell them my own wording and perception, as politely as I can.

Also, what about cases where a guest tries to be an asshole about it? Like let's say a guy comes in saying he wants to use the women's restroom? What do we do in that case? I'm thinking, can I say, "If you identify as a women, then yes, of course, you're welcome to use the women's restroom, Ma'am." I'd also refer to him as ma'am if he decided to use the women's room. Is that appropriate? Basically calling their bluff?

You direct them to the GSTL, and they the LOD, and if need be, they, the Police. If you feel uncomfortable remember, it does not have to be your fight.

You direct them to the GSTL, and they the LOD, and if need be they, the Police.

I work at the service desk, I'd rather be more prepared to handle the situation myself. I'd only call a GSTL or LOD if it escalated. I mentioned earlier that a lot of these people think this policy means our restrooms are Unisex, which they aren't. So, I'm wondering is it okay to explain that to people.

I work at the service desk, I'd rather be more prepared to handle the situation myself. I'd only call a GSTL or LOD if it escalated. I mentioned earlier that a lot of these people think this policy means our restrooms are Unisex, which they aren't. So, I'm wondering is it okay to explain that to people.

I would imagine it would be, not doing so has potential to cause way more problems.

Not to mention I am sure all stores are given a "script", however I am sure some stores are dealing with this differently. It would probably be best to ask your manager.

I would imagine it would be, not doing so has potential to cause way more problems.

True. I'm not entirely confident in my own knowledge of issue. So I'm trying to educate myself on this as well so I don't go on and just spread more misinformation.

I had a guest ask me about the policy a few days ago. I had told her that we still have men's and women's restrooms. The policy simply allows people to use restrooms to their gender identity. That's correct...right?

Her response to that was, "Well then can't some guy just put on a dress and then go use the women's restroom?"

I told her, "Not if he is a male."

At that point her husband sort of just rushed her along and said "thank you" to me. I assume he didn't want to cause a scene.

So...was I even really correct in explaining what the policy means?

Look at it the same as you would if a news reporter came in and started asking questions. The FIRST thing you do is call the LOD. We are not supposed to justify situations or answer questions that are so sensitive as this issue is. Did your store have the breastfeeding issues? Even with that, as simple as saying, yes, you can breastfeed where ever you are comfortable, we were instructed to call the LOD to answer any questions.

Of course, ASANTS, but it would make it easier for you to just call the LOD.

Look at it the same as you would if a news reporter came in and started asking questions. The FIRST thing you do is call the LOD. We are not supposed to justify situations or answer questions that are so sensitive as this issue is. Did your store have the breastfeeding issues? Even with that, as simple as saying, yes, you can breastfeed where ever you are comfortable, we were instructed to call the LOD to answer any questions.

Of course, ASANTS, but it would make it easier for you to just call the LOD.

Yeah, but there's saying what the policy is, and then there's discussing the nitty gritty of the policy. I'd like to be armed with enough knowledge that I don't have to call over someone to answer a very simple question. There's a difference if it's just a guest vs. someone from the media looking for official statements.

I don't remember any issues over breastfeeding in our stores. There was no controversy for us. So this is the second controversial situation I've dealt with while at Target. The first being the data breach.

Yeah, but there's saying what the policy is, and then there's discussing the nitty gritty of the policy. I'd like to be armed with enough knowledge that I don't have to call over someone to answer a very simple question. There's a difference if it's just a guest vs. someone from the media looking for official statements.

I don't remember any issues over breastfeeding in our stores. There was no controversy for us. So this is the second controversial situation I've dealt with while at Target. The first being the data breach.

I would suggest calling the LOD once, see how they handle it (and how it goes), and then deal with it the same way they did next time.

I don't think there's any difference at all. Some of these people are so dogmatic that they are going to try to *trick* you into saying something that you don't want to say. Call the LOD. This is absolutely nothing like the breach.

True. I'm not entirely confident in my own knowledge of issue. So I'm trying to educate myself on this as well so I don't go on and just spread more misinformation.

I had a guest ask me about the policy a few days ago. I had told her that we still have men's and women's restrooms. The policy simply allows people to use restrooms to their gender identity. That's correct...right?

Her response to that was, "Well then can't some guy just put on a dress and then go use the women's restroom?"

I told her, "Not if he is a male."

At that point her husband sort of just rushed her along and said "thank you" to me. I assume he didn't want to cause a scene.

So...was I even really correct in explaining what the policy means?

The answer is "not if the guest identifies as male."

Last edited:
I would suggest calling the LOD once, see how they handle it (and how it goes), and then deal with it the same way they did next time.

Well, I mean, I'll ask my LOD about it and see how they feel. I really think each case is situational. I want to be able to handle the simple ones on my own. Most of the cases I've dealt with so far are more closer to small talk rather than serious concerns. I don't want to soap box to guests about my personal beliefs, but I DO intend on deescalating the situation to a point where they realize they've completely overreacted over the policy.

I was walking through the store heading up front for lunch. I heard a guest saying well, that just makes no sense I mean what if ..a man comes in ....then I turned the corner and saw the guest had a new ( has been there less than a week) flow tm cornered. The poor guy looked like he was looking for the nearest and quickest way out of there. So, I went over the walkie and called the lod by name and had him to switch to 2. I then told him that he may need to go to aisle xxx cause I thought a guest had an issue . I wasn't going to leave the new tm to face it alone but I also wasn't going to stand there and argue with a guest.

Yeh, TMs don't get paid NEAR enough to deal with this crap.
When we had the red cup controversy at Starbucks I was asked my opinion of it.
I said that Target doesn't pay me to have an opinion, they pay me to make drinks.

Once I'm off the clock, however.........be careful what you ask.

Something some guests can't grasp is the fact that all bathrooms are unlocked, and any pervert can just open the door and creep on people. That was the case before Target's press release, that's the case now.

i think the issue is there is now a legal precident that people can hide behind to go into the "wrong" restroom on purpose.

But that doesn't give them permission to do anything illegal when they are in there. Just like they couldn't do anything when they were in the "right" restroom.

true but it makes it that much easier for people that have bad intentions to carry out their plans.

true but it makes it that much easier for people that have bad intentions to carry out their plans.
People could always do it in their own chosen restroom if they wanted to. Or they could slip in the other one when someone wasn't looking. And sometimes people just plain use the wrong restroom because they aren't paying any attention. The chances of being molested in a public restroom like Target are really minuscule when compared to the fact most molestations happen by someone the victim knows.

men are stronger than women though...if men are allowed in girls bathrooms because that's how the self identify and they wish to carry out an assault, rape, molestation or kidnapping it would be much easier to do in the woman's bathroom to a woman's victim.

but then again there may be vigilante crossdressers or transgendered people in the woman's bathroom who can fight off the assailant. so it may all come out in the wash.

So now along with everything else we need to do we are bathroom monitors. Good thinking corporate.

men are stronger than women though...if men are allowed in girls bathrooms because that's how the self identify and they wish to carry out an assault, rape, molestation or kidnapping it would be much easier to do in the woman's bathroom to a woman's victim.

but then again there may be vigilante crossdressers or transgendered people in the woman's bathroom who can fight off the assailant. so it may all come out in the wash.
But even before the Charlotte law was passed and all this Target stuff, nothing was stopping a man from barging into a women's restroom and doing something inappropriate. Sexual assault laws haven't changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back