Transgender and Bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn it, now I ended up on the Target FB page commenting on everything again.

Look for a blonde haired cat boy ;3

I totally went stalking, and didn't see shit! Lol. I got a good laugh out of all the posts people were making.

Now we have Team Members arguing in the Break room about the bathroom policy, some are yelling we aren't feeling safe anymore :confused:. You are welcome to quit and work for a different retailer, more hours for me ;). We have a family bathroom and a single stall team member bathroom.

I explained to an acquaintance of mine that Target's policy hasn't changed. All her life, the Male to Female trans was afraid. She was afraid of the feelings she had as a young child (I never felt comfortable in my body - I was supposed to be girl, but I looked like a boy!). She was afraid to talk about it to her friends, her family, her teachers, to anyone. Finally, as a teenager, she could no longer handle the pressure and sought help to begin the transformation to a female. Some of the fear was gone, but it is still a frightening thing to go out in the world every day, fearing that someone would find out that she was born a male, fearing that someone would taunt her, fearing that someone would physically assault her. But things were getting better. Then NC passed the bathroom law which allows someone to ask for gender assignment proof to go to the restroom in a public facility. Mississippi passed a law that states one can refuse service, refuse to rent, refuse to administer medical care to LBGT if you feel it is against your religious convictions. And all the fears came back.

All Target did with the latest announcement was tell her that, "Hey, come to Target We won't question you. We won't ask for your gender assignment. We won't discriminate against you. We'll make it as safe as possible for you to come to our store. We want you to feel as comfortable as everyone else who shops with us."

i'm mentally preparing myself for the questions guests are going to bombard me with whenever i back up. and the comments and jokes that are going to be made about it. we already got a call today from a guest saying they refuse to shop at our store now. good, go back to walmart. not sure why they feel the need to inform us of that. i'm just going to tell them that they can use the family restroom if they have an issue with it.

but, in all seriousness, i am all for LGBT equality and believe everyone should feel comfortable in whatever bathroom they're in. however, i do understand why SOME of these people are angry. target publicly stated that its transgender team members and guests are welcome to use the bathrooms that correspond to their gender identities. as someone mentioned before, in a worst case scenario, this means a pedophile or a sex offender could pose as transgender for the day, pretend he's in his early transition, so still physically looking like a male, (or just dress up as a woman) enter the women's bathroom, and you know where this is going. personally, as a woman, that thought terrifies me. now no one can really differentiate between who is transgender and who is not, and who is in their early transition and who is not. and there are a lot of sick people out there, unfortunately. the fact that target publicly stated this sort of puts the idea out there, for any sick person to grasp and take action with.

also, what are transgendered women supposed to do? use the men's room despite the fact that they identify as a woman, and risk getting assaulted/jumped/ridiculed there? and vice versa!

some people have suggested target creates an additional restroom with stalls for transgendered people. i get the concept, but in reality anyone could walk in there with bad intentions and pose a threat to those who feel comfortable in that bathroom.

i'm happy that target is one of the first major retailers to take a stand on this issue... but i think there needs to be a better solution made. i don't know what that might be, i've been pondering this subject all day and it's been giving me a headache. a month ago i went to a show at a venue in NYC. a lot of people showed up and maybe one of the bathrooms was out of order, so for some reason they were only using the other bathroom, so everyone had to use this one bathroom and wait in a long line. inside there was a huge desk area with a bathroom attendant stationed, selling snacks and candy (not sure how sanitary that is..) and providing people with napkins and toilet paper when needed, while also monitoring the people and the atmosphere. i thought that was pretty cool and an interesting idea.

edit: also, by no means am i worried about using the female bathroom at target in the event that a transgender woman is also in there. i wanted to make that clear

i'm mentally preparing myself for the questions guests are going to bombard me with whenever i back up. and the comments and jokes that are going to be made about it. we already got a call today from a guest saying they refuse to shop at our store now. good, go back to walmart. not sure why they feel the need to inform us of that. i'm just going to tell them that they can use the family restroom if they have an issue with it.

but, in all seriousness, i am all for LGBT equality and believe everyone should feel comfortable in whatever bathroom they're in. however, i do understand why SOME of these people are angry. target publicly stated that its transgender team members and guests are welcome to use the bathrooms that correspond to their gender identities. as someone mentioned before, in a worst case scenario, this means a pedophile or a sex offender could pose as transgender for the day, pretend he's in his early transition, so still physically looking like a male, (or just dress up as a woman) enter the women's bathroom, and you know where this is going. personally, as a woman, that thought terrifies me. now no one can really differentiate between who is transgender and who is not, and who is in their early transition and who is not. and there are a lot of sick people out there, unfortunately. the fact that target publicly stated this sort of puts the idea out there, for any sick person to grasp and take action with.

also, what are transgendered women supposed to do? use the men's room despite the fact that they identify as a woman, and risk getting assaulted/jumped/ridiculed there? and vice versa!

some people have suggested target creates an additional restroom with stalls for transgendered people. i get the concept, but in reality anyone could walk in there with bad intentions and pose a threat to those who feel comfortable in that bathroom.

i'm happy that target is one of the first major retailers to take a stand on this issue... but i think there needs to be a better solution made. i don't know what that might be, i've been pondering this subject all day and it's been giving me a headache. a month ago i went to a show at a venue in NYC. a lot of people showed up and maybe one of the bathrooms was out of order, so for some reason they were only using the other bathroom, so everyone had to use this one bathroom and wait in a long line. inside there was a huge desk area with a bathroom attendant stationed, selling snacks and candy (not sure how sanitary that is..) and providing people with napkins and toilet paper when needed, while also monitoring the people and the atmosphere. i thought that was pretty cool and an interesting idea.

edit: also, by no means am i worried about using the female bathroom at target in the event that a transgender woman is also in there. i wanted to make that clear

If someone is really worried about it we have both a family restroom and a single stall bathroom right next to pharmacy as well

I think it says something about the US with how terrified people are of getting assaulted in public in a restroom of a store
i think so too. but i have come across quite a few disturbing/weird experiences while on the clock with creepy men that make it seem like the above scenario is something a bit realistic. for example, just last week i was at the fitting room desk when an older, sweaty man came over with a younger chick who was trying on nightgowns and lingerie. he leaned over the desk and said "the best nightgowns are leather and rope, don't you think?" and when i didn't reply, he was like, "just say yes." and that's when i speed-walked as far away from him as i could go. i had to go back to the FR to get my water bottle, he was still there, and he was like "so, what areas do you work in??" just rubbed me the wrong way.

idk, this topic is a tough one

edit: this story could potentially give away my identity but i don't really care. i'm new. hi.

people being terrified of being assaulted by anyone who's transgender due to this policy though, are idiots. that, i do not understand

i think so too. but i have come across quite a few disturbing/weird experiences while on the clock with creepy men that make it seem like the above scenario is something a bit realistic. for example, just last week i was at the fitting room desk when an older, sweaty man came over with a younger chick who was trying on nightgowns and lingerie. he leaned over the desk and said "the best nightgowns are leather and rope, don't you think?" and when i didn't reply, he was like, "just say yes." and that's when i speed-walked as far away from him as i could go. i had to go back to the FR to get my water bottle, he was still there, and he was like "so, what areas do you work in??" just rubbed me the wrong way.
The above instance would occur regardless of the policy but, because Target publicly stated their support for transgender folk, everyone is dreaming up the hide-your-wives-and-daughters-from-pervs-dressed-as-women scenarios.
They act like the women's restroom sign had a force field against anything with a Y chromosome & this will open the door for someone to 'take advantage' of gender identification.
Macy's reported an incident in which a man impersonated a woman, went into the ladies' restroom & was taking pics of women/girls in neighboring stalls. A woman became suspicious, notified management who then notified their security personnel. The guy was detained, arrested & charged with voyeurism.
This very scenarios would've happened regardless & the outcome would've been the same.
Do you really think someone wouldn't hear a child screaming in a restroom? Kids' voices reach decibel levels that could shatter glass.
Even if a perv waited until they were alone, someone could've walked in at any time & IF a parent is concerned, they should go in with the child or be right outside the door watching who goes in like a hawk.
@bkh: If that old lech asked me that, I'd look him straight in the eye & say "Let's call security & see what THEY think."

The above instance would occur regardless of the policy but, because Target publicly stated their support for transgender folk, everyone is dreaming up the hide-your-wives-and-daughters-from-pervs-dressed-as-women scenarios.
They act like the women's restroom sign had a force field against anything with a Y chromosome & this will open the door for someone to 'take advantage' of gender identification.
Macy's reported an incident in which a man impersonated a woman, went into the ladies' restroom & was taking pics of women/girls in neighboring stalls. A woman became suspicious, notified management who then notified their security personnel. The guy was detained, arrested & charged with voyeurism.
This very scenarios would've happened regardless & the outcome would've been the same.
Do you really think someone wouldn't hear a child screaming in a restroom? Kids' voices reach decibel levels that could shatter glass.
Even if a perv waited until they were alone, someone could've walked in at any time & IF a parent is concerned, they should go in with the child or be right outside the door watching who goes in like a hawk.
@bkh: If that old lech asked me that, I'd look him straight in the eye & say "Let's call security & see what THEY think."
you have a point. i'm just trying to see it from their perspective, but i guess you're right. not sure why they'd be letting their kid go alone in the first place if they're that concerned.

hahaha, unfortunately AP wasn't in that night.

you have a point. i'm just trying to see it from their perspective, but i guess you're right. not sure why they'd be letting their kid go alone in the first place if they're that concerned.

hahaha, unfortunately AP wasn't in that night.
AP may not have been in, but I bet if you called anyone, specifically large male, the creep would have backed away. You have a walkie; call out "Creeper in the fitting room," and I bet the place would have been stormed. lol

Why would anyone with common sense put their name on a boycott pledge against the company they work for?

We don't even use our real names here or photos here.

For those who have common sense, even tho you happen to work for Target, you can still sign the petition. Sign the Boycott Target Pledge!
LOL. You'd be making more of a protest/statement by just quitting your job. If you're against tolerance and respect for other human beings, go work for Walmart. Oh wait, I forgot, Walmart has the same bathroom policy too, as do most public businesses. Damn, seems like you just can't get away from those pesky transgendered people (people who are obviously all terrible, disturbed perverted monsters in your opinion). In public bathrooms. Emphasis on public, because you know, they're meant for the public to use, and is plain outright discrimination to say that a group of people don't have the right to use a public bathroom.

By signing that petition, here's what you're actually saying. "I am a closed minded, intolerant, hateful, naive bigot against transgendered people because all transgendered people are perverted, disturbed, monsters. Transgendered people should not have the same rights as me, and therefore transgendered people are lesser than me and their life and their rights should not be respected as much as my own are."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back