Transgender and Bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got put on the spot about this today while I was on backup, after being harassed by the GSA about getting a redcard while up there. She was upset and said "I hope this policy is just as much of a fad as what they're pandering to."

I won't state my views on this one way or the other because no one is going to change my mind and I'm not going to change someone else's mind on an online forum, but it's clear that people are very passionate about this.

First time being anything other than electronics in over a year, will continue to avoid going up for backup like the plague.

I think Target HQ stepped in it big this time. Why does it always seem like HQ likes to stir
the pot like this. If these people signing the boycott petition are serious then that will be a huge economic impact. The boycott petition will be at 1 mil by eod tomorrow. Just think about that for a moment....if 1 mil people quit spending even just $100 annually at Target that's a loss of $100 mil a year. How do you make that revenue back? Now of course the average shopper spends way more than that. I remember reading the average Target shopper spends between $5k to $8k a year at Target. Well, if that revenue goes away your looking at a loss of around $5 billion annually.....that's right we are talking an economic impact of BILLIONS!!! This is a very serious matter. You guys can joke around about it all you like but it's our hours and our jobs that will be on the chopping block all because a group of policy makers at HQ decided to put on their social champions superhero capes to save the day when no one really needed to be saved. Most stores already have a separate restroom with a door that locks and with a toilet. What, that's not good enough for people???
We are supposed to be a company that's in business to make money eyes not make social statements that that cause that money to go elsewhere! Jeez!

I think Target HQ stepped in it big this time. Why does it always seem like HQ likes to stir
the pot like this. If these people signing the boycott petition are serious then that will be a huge economic impact. The boycott petition will be at 1 mil by eod tomorrow. Just think about that for a moment....if 1 mil people quit spending even just $100 annually at Target that's a loss of $100 mil a year. How do you make that revenue back? Now of course the average shopper spends way more than that. I remember reading the average Target shopper spends between $5k to $8k a year at Target. Well, if that revenue goes away your looking at a loss of around $5 billion annually.....that's right we are talking an economic impact of BILLIONS!!! This is a very serious matter. You guys can joke around about it all you like but it's our hours and our jobs that will be on the chopping block all because a group of policy makers at HQ decided to put on their social champions superhero capes to save the day when no one really needed to be saved. Most stores already have a separate restroom with a door that locks and with a toilet. What, that's not good enough for people???
We are supposed to be a company that's in business to make money eyes not make social statements that that cause that money to go elsewhere! Jeez!

This is one of those times where I don't mind slacktivism. I'd wager thay a lot of the people signing petitions...will still continue to shop at Target.

I don't believe that it will have as great of an impact as you think. But at any rate, there's nothing superhero about doing the right thing...ever. Target did the right thing. If you feel so strongly, I'd suggest that you look somewhere to work that is more in alignment with your beliefs. A separate restroom with a door that locks is not the answer. Treating all guests equally is the answer.

This isn't spot's first social controversy & it won't be their last.
Yeh, that's a lot of sigs on the AFA's petition but very few people are really gonna carry this out.
It's like all the brouhaha over the credit breach; all the people who said they'd NEVER shop at Target again were back in two weeks because of some sale or other promo.
Consumers are fickle at best & convenient amnesiacs at worst.
There'll be a few outrageous actions before it dies down.
Right now AFA is basking in the attention.

Last edited:

Same reason I refuse to shop Hobby Lobby.. I can tell you that half of these people come black Friday will be in line outside wanting that super cheap TV.. And some signed but have never set foot in our stores, not a loss. This policy is not new and won't change, they can't without really offending their own employees.. And like it or not Spot has been for at least the last 5+ years(as long I have been an employee) LGBT friendly.. Something Spot hasn't made huge announcements about until now.. So these people are angry about something they have supported for years.

And I found that the ones who scream the loudest are usually the biggest liars. I have seen this with my own eyes with another group of loud religious protestors.

Apparently, ( I say apparently because I didn't hear it first hand, someone else did and told me about it ) at my store today a guest asked a guest services tm to stand outside the bathroom door....while she used the restroom. The guest told the guest services tm that she was worried a man would go in there while she was in there. The tm politely said sure I can do that ...and went and stood outside the bathroom door. When, I first heard this I laughed cause I thought wow ....that's just funny. Then, I really started to think about it and it made me mad . To start with, IF the guest really had to use the restroom that bad...she wouldn't had time to stand in line at guest services then give her speech and ask the tm to stand guard. Secondly, if you are that pissed off about the "new" bathroom policy why the hell are you in there shopping to begin with? Thirdly, the guest ( from what I was told ) used the family restroom...which has a LOCK on it . I am willing to bet this guest didn't have to use the restroom she was trying to make a statement. Ma'am you made a statement alright....and it wasn't the statement you intended to make. Just stay home ...don't shop Spot...and for PETES say don't use the restroom if you are so worried about it .. Lastly, to the tm who had to stand outside the bathroom door...you are better than I am...I would had called the lod up there to deal with that crap.

That one million shoppers are likely not Target shoppers in the first place. Second, if they are Target shoppers, they are statistically more likely to be poor, uneducated, or older. This means that their economic power is weaker in the long run (either due to not having money or dying). It is better to get the buying power of the younger generations, who will be spending money at Target for the next 60-70 years because they remember that Target understands social standards today, and doesn't pander to bigots.

Apparently, ( I say apparently because I didn't hear it first hand, someone else did and told me about it ) at my store today a guest asked a guest services tm to stand outside the bathroom door....while she used the restroom. The guest told the guest services tm that she was worried a man would go in there while she was in there. The tm politely said sure I can do that ...and went and stood outside the bathroom door. When, I first heard this I laughed cause I thought wow ....that's just funny. Then, I really started to think about it and it made me mad . To start with, IF the guest really had to use the restroom that bad...she wouldn't had time to stand in line at guest services then give her speech and ask the tm to stand guard. Secondly, if you are that pissed off about the "new" bathroom policy why the hell are you in there shopping to begin with? Thirdly, the guest ( from what I was told ) used the family restroom...which has a LOCK on it . I am willing to bet this guest didn't have to use the restroom she was trying to make a statement. Ma'am you made a statement alright....and it wasn't the statement you intended to make. Just stay home ...don't shop Spot...and for PETES say don't use the restroom if you are so worried about it .. Lastly, to the tm who had to stand outside the bathroom door...you are better than I am...I would had called the lod up there to deal with that crap.

I am a GSTM and I was thinking that I would not be surprised if a Guest would do that. I would take everything out of me not to to roll my eyes at that person. I usually have a gazillion things to do at the service desk. Photo is my job as well and I watch the lanes when the GSA's or GSTL's go on breaks. I don't have time to play guard at the restroom to for some idiot trying to make a statement.
Wow, I sound angry today lol. Luckily I am off tomorrow :D.

My summary of thoughts.

1. This wasn't a decision Target made without thinking about long-term effect.
2. I'm sure everyone that says that they are boycotting aren't actually going to do so long-term anyways.
3. If you are seeing someones genitals in a bathroom, there's an issue. And it doesn't involve transgenders preying on little girls.
4. Sex isn't gender.

That's all for now. :)

In the case of a guest asking a TM to wait outside the restroom for them....would it have been appropriate to say "no" to that? If that happened to me, I would have said, "Sorry, I can't do that. But our policy doesn't allow men into the restroom." Would Target have my back on that?

Our operator comes in at 9 am so I got to answer the pinging overhead ringing phone this morning at 8:15 and I'm like "hi this is target at [bbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz], this is the operator, can I help you find something?" I get a gentleman with a really redneck-sounding voice:

"Hiiii, my name's Bill, I've been a customer at your store for a long time, but I'm not coming in anymore because of your new restroom policy, you understand"

me, aggressively chipper at this point: "OKAY! Thanks for letting us know!"
"You're all going to burn in hell"
"HAVE A NICE DAY"
"*click*"

Fuckin' coward. Like, literally, you're just gonna call the operator and be like "hey operator your place sucks and you're all damned" and not even throw that at the LOD. Lemme go to a restaurant and be like "hey, table server, your place is run by idiots and you shouldn't have taken the double mozzarella sticks off of your dinner menu. REPENT OR SUFFER, SINNER" like holy shit even if I gave a shit about this guy's shitty opinion I'm just a guy answering a phone and you want me to act like I give a shit about your stupid customer complaint that you can't even hold for a manager!! Hey, Bill, sorry you had to blow your fucking wad as soon as you heard a voice on the phone! Fuckin' byeeeeeeeeeeeeee, dickass!

Our operator comes in at 9 am so I got to answer the pinging overhead ringing phone this morning at 8:15 and I'm like "hi this is target at [bbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz], this is the operator, can I help you find something?" I get a gentleman with a really redneck-sounding voice:

"Hiiii, my name's Bill, I've been a customer at your store for a long time, but I'm not coming in anymore because of your new restroom policy, you understand"

me, aggressively chipper at this point: "OKAY! Thanks for letting us know!"
"You're all going to burn in hell"
"HAVE A NICE DAY"
"*click*"

Fuckin' coward. Like, literally, you're just gonna call the operator and be like "hey operator your place sucks and you're all damned" and not even throw that at the LOD. Lemme go to a restaurant and be like "hey, table server, your place is run by idiots and you shouldn't have taken the double mozzarella sticks off of your dinner menu. REPENT OR SUFFER, SINNER" like holy shit even if I gave a shit about this guy's shitty opinion I'm just a guy answering a phone and you want me to act like I give a shit about your stupid customer complaint that you can't even hold for a manager!! Hey, Bill, sorry you had to blow your fucking wad as soon as you heard a voice on the phone! Fuckin' byeeeeeeeeeeeeee, dickass!

Should have said, "kay, see you there! Have a nice day!" It's a good thing I don't answer the phones...

In the case of a guest asking a TM to wait outside the restroom for them....would it have been appropriate to say "no" to that? If that happened to me, I would have said, "Sorry, I can't do that. But our policy doesn't allow men into the restroom." Would Target have my back on that?
Honestly not sure. Frankly it might not be worth the headache of the inevitable guest complaint if you say no. I would direct them to the family restroom and explain it has a lock.

The only way I can think of being able to decline would be to say, "No, because if someone attempts to enter the restroom, I'm not allowed to physically prevent them from doing so as that exposes me to an assault charge." But even then it's kinda shaky.

Several of us were talking about what we would had done if we had been at the service desk. I would like to think that I would simply call an lod to the service desk and let them do bathroom duty. The Stl could come out of her office long enough to do that much. Once again , things like this make me so happy I work in the backroom.

You are correct in the fact that this could and will have economic ramifications. There are a couple stores in our district who are already cutting hours due to sales tanking . Yes, if it keeps on Spot will have to start making cuts and as we all know that starts at the bottom. Ie less hours etc etc. However, on the other hand Spot doesn't have to bow down to a certain group of people ...just because that group doesn't agree with Spots policy. This is America...if you don't like something you have the right to protest you have the right to boycott but that doesn't mean you will get your way. If you don't like the bathroom policy...shop elsewhere. You don't have to sign a petition or call the store to tell them you are not shopping there any longer......they will know when people aren't showing up ! Spot isn't stupid they did their homework before they came out and reminded everyone of their bathroom policy. If Spot were to back down now they would be in far worse shape than they are now. This will pass in time...we may lose some guests. However, I am sure we will be gaining some new ones as well . I remember back in the early 90s preachers telling everyone to boycott Disney because they supported Homosexuals....Disney survived...they didn't cave in to protests etc. Mickey mouse seems to be doing pretty well these days .

Last edited:
So is this transgender shit the reason sales are down and the store's been dead the last week or so?

I can't believe Spot is doing this.

Let's make light of the situation for just a moment...

1397ch.jpg

... ok. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back