Archived Truck unloaders...What does your line look like with mordernization?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad that my ETL-log and flow TL aren't morons and have always made sure to have two throwers as often as possible. Sometimes (often) ETL-log will jump in and help throw the huge trailers.

I've been on the line a few times and also recently started as a thrower at times. Every so often my TL will jump in and help throw a few boxes. For the past 2 weeks we've also had a TM specifically for PIPOs. Before getting to any PIPOs though this TM helps at the front of the line and throwing

I've been doing PIPO lately which seems pointless because 90% of the time it's backstock. Tying into what @Backroom81 was saying about Target's replenishment system, it doesn't seem all that logical to send us 420 pallets of backstock Bounty pallets every single week, but it yis what it yis I guess

I feel sorry most days for the women who break out soft lines repacks - and sorry every day for the couple of us at that end of the line who stack those boxes. The piles get insanely high, and that's even with us taking the 2 items out of a green repack and throwing them in with other stuff. We're pretty good about stacking them well, but we've had some fall over - never on anyone, thankfully! (Can anyone explain why the DC sends a green repack, which is a dang big box, with 1 small item in it?)

I'm on softlines breakout and we have to stack our own boxes from the line, so basically nothing really gets broken out until truck is unloaded. Sucks for us.

That was the first thing they messed up here. Used to be they could backstock off the truck. Then it was, they would only do that if the truck was over 2000. Now we don't do it at all and we waste so much time giving backstock to the backroom.

Oh well, better to have everyone doing backstock now, I guess, right, and taking a lot of time to do so because THERE'S BEEN NO TRAINING OF ANYONE REGARDING HOW TO BACKSTOCK.

I know it's supposed to be easy. But when you are making the TM rely on other TMs to learn things you ought to have shown them, there's a problem. I'd be willing to watch a video, even. It's just--ugh.

Hardlines has to give up hours to push the truck.

Yup.

But our store is trying something new--we have something of an excess of SFS hours, and mostly people who can only work nights, so they're rescheduling the truck to 5:30pm and having SFS unload at night. Flow will come in at 4 and spend a full 5 hours pushing freight vs. a couple hours after the truck is done. There will basically be one HL mid person, for abandons and one closer, for zoning the priority area for the night. Pulls are basically being ignored, for the time being.

We're being slaughtered on surveys because there's freight on the floor all fucking day and the store is a disaster because closing HL is either pushing freight or backing up the lanes, not so much with the zoning, so they're hoping this will even things out.

The backroom has only remained not a disaster because of the SFS folks being reassigned to backstock or whatever is needed.

I'm probably going to jinx it but I'm so goddamn glad my store doesn't cashier train everyone by default, what a fucking nightmare that would be

Ours was actually looking amazing for a while there but we rolled out our "next step" of modernization (longer PP2 shifts but they have 2 departments to do now) this week and so far it's terrible. PP2 vehicles rolling over (we're in the middle of a remodel so after 10am you're just guiding guests around the store), unload taking twice as long because no vehicles, PP1s not finishing because unload finishes around the time PP1 is scheduled to leave, repeat. Impressively disasterous.

Can't even imagine pushing freight in our 200-degree store where my socks and underwear are completely soaked with sweat and getting called up to the front to check people out with gross ass pit stains and B.O. fumes for the guest to smell. Yes I shower every day but it's fucking useless because corp keeps the heat cranked while it's 72 degrees outside.

Does anyone know if there is any logic or method to how the DC loads the truck? Wouldn't it be easier if products were grouped together, even if it was just by fill group? I never understand why diapers or soft lines are scattered throughout the truck rather than all packed near other diapers or soft lines.

Does anyone know if there is any logic or method to how the DC loads the truck? Wouldn't it be easier if products were grouped together, even if it was just by fill group? I never understand why diapers or soft lines are scattered throughout the truck rather than all packed near other diapers or soft lines.
There is no logic. They throw weights and other shit on top of water pallets. Send half pipo pallets. Open a truck door and you get an avalanche of god knows what. It is a JOKE.

How is your line set up with the new uboats? How many are you responsible for while sorting freight off the line? Who sorts repacks on the line? How is it handled when someone doesn’t get there stuff off?
The front of my line is very heavy compared to the back. I have mostly u boats on the front with the exception of heavy custom blocks, which get flats. I have one person for bulk, one truck unloader, one person for market. One for soft lines. Two on the back sorting repacks and taking their boxes off, and two on the front, sorting only boxes, not including me. My two peoples on the back focus on sorting their case pack on their vehicles, and when they have time they sort repacks, or cover for each other, or i’ll hop over to help them if needed. Our average unload time is slightly under 2 hours, regardless of truck size.

Do the same people that put the freight on the uboat sort too? Like the person doing bulk, do they sort repacks such as combos, 4s, or 3s?

There is no logic. They throw weights and other shit on top of water pallets. Send half pipo pallets. Open a truck door and you get an avalanche of god knows what. It is a JOKE.
Last time I unloaded we had items falling out the door when we opened it. Half a box of soft lines ended up on pavement under the truck. I wonder if the DC has crazy load time expectations so they end up throwing everything in

I sort the repack off the line , at the end of the line I have two pallets where softlines goes and there is two girls breaking it of as it comes off , also a cosmetics girl at the end of the line that break out the cosmetics repacks . Once the Uboats everyone goes stocks , while me , the thrower and the line person continue to unload , once they are done with their Uboats , they backstock the remaining and comes back for new one. Unload gets done in 90 minutes , but he shippers are thrown on a pallet and up on the steal for the sales floor to, for the rugs I use a cage. By the time everyone is off we come clean .
Not in our store, we have been doing this a long time now and it is a nightmare. We are a huge store and are down to one softlines breakout person, with limited hours. Softlines breakout doesnt get done until noon or at times later or not at all. We are so shorthanded on team members, no one can finish, or they have the TL in that area try to do it. We were a test store and it has been so bad they trying to figure out how to fix things without going back to the old format. Good luck, you will hate this.

Not in our store, we have been doing this a long time now and it is a nightmare. We are a huge store and are down to one softlines breakout person, with limited hours. Softlines breakout doesnt get done until noon or at times later or not at all. We are so shorthanded on team members, no one can finish, or they have the TL in that area try to do it. We were a test store and it has been so bad they trying to figure out how to fix things without going back to the old format. Good luck, you will hate this.

Waiting for all the people who are "Yes" people to come on here and say you are wrong about what it's like at your store.

My store has
A unload team of 6tms
3 on front of line
2 on back of line
1 thower/pace setter/pipo guy

Are trucks have been averaging 2100-2700
With 6 trucks a week are normal unload time is 2hrs not counting the 1hr it takes to set the line

Not in our store, we have been doing this a long time now and it is a nightmare. We are a huge store and are down to one softlines breakout person, with limited hours. Softlines breakout doesnt get done until noon or at times later or not at all.

We have 2, sometimes 3 softlines breakout TMs and it takes basically their entire shift to do things now. It's all done in the backroom which means lots of stepping over each other and of course, lots of boxes and vehicles left behind holding all their stuff. Then we have other TMs to actually do the work of putting it away.

We used to have at least double that amount of softlines breakout TMs, and THEY would do the pushing once they were done. Not anymore. Sigh. We'd get done much faster if we did it the old way, and save the company the payroll they want to slash. Oh well, not my problem to worry about now.

Last edited:
My store has
A unload team of 6tms
3 on front of line
2 on back of line
1 thower/pace setter/pipo guy

Are trucks have been averaging 2100-2700
With 6 trucks a week are normal unload time is 2hrs not counting the 1hr it takes to set the line

What's the team doing once the truck is done? When are they being sent home? Are inbound TMs getting all the hours they want?

What's the team doing once the truck is done? When are they being sent home? Are inbound TMs getting all the hours they want?

Not sure yet we just started the every area is there own dept. Phase were the general merchandise team is introduced
So nobody knows anything about who is suppose to do what so sometimes unload gets 40hr weeks and other weeks they get 18hr weeks because hardlines cant be trusted yet to finish the work load that the inbound team leaves after there done with there areas for the day

Yup.

But our store is trying something new--we have something of an excess of SFS hours, and mostly people who can only work nights, so they're rescheduling the truck to 5:30pm and having SFS unload at night. Flow will come in at 4 and spend a full 5 hours pushing freight vs. a couple hours after the truck is done. There will basically be one HL mid person, for abandons and one closer, for zoning the priority area for the night. Pulls are basically being ignored, for the time being.

We're being slaughtered on surveys because there's freight on the floor all fucking day and the store is a disaster because closing HL is either pushing freight or backing up the lanes, not so much with the zoning, so they're hoping this will even things out.

The backroom has only remained not a disaster because of the SFS folks being reassigned to backstock or whatever is needed.

ASANTS

What happens when they reallocate your excess SFS hours?

Last time I unloaded we had items falling out the door when we opened it. Half a box of soft lines ended up on pavement under the truck. I wonder if the DC has crazy load time expectations so they end up throwing everything in

Our DC's have their own set of problems they are constantly fighting. Not to mention they're not even close to being configured to support us. If they handle their business like ours, they are so screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back