Archived ULV question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know what type of schedule the ULV (C volume and under) Backroom/Instock team leaders work in your store.

Just trying to gather some facts here!

Cheers!

In my store 4-12:30 during seasonal, 6-2:30 otherwise. They played around with making it 8-4:30 so they could work with our backroom day TMs, but that stopped.

Ours works a varied schedule..... one week 4am to 12:45, then 6:245, then 8- 4:45. She just started adding in 11-7:45. She's really into her position.... The team hates it when she's there because there being held accountable...

So... they never close right? Any reasoning behind that?

So... they never close right? Any reasoning behind that?

Most morning TL's and ETL's will not close. Reason being (that I was told) their team is primarily only on during the morning, therefore there is no reason for them to be there to close. Sure there's always a backroom team member, but for a TL to be there for one team member would be pointless.

At my store however, morning leaders all close one day a month. Just to get a fresh perspective on the store processes.

Well I was told (after a year of not having to close) that all TL's except the Flow TL would have to close once a week...

I brought up the issue that there would be no point in me being there as I would either be with just one team member or by myself. His response was that when he has to close, there are none of his direct reports there (ETLs) so I could do it too.

How is that fair?

AWWW does someone have to start working a ****ty closing shift now? You can't just work your normal early shift any have EVERY ****ing night off? No sympathy here.

As long as you don't have to close/open (which our ETL-LOG does once every month and a half or so) I fail to see the unfairness.

But that could be because you have many coworkers who close multiple times a week.

AWWW does someone have to start working a ****ty closing shift now? You can't just work your normal early shift any have EVERY ****ing night off? No sympathy here.

Woah bro, slow your roll son. Being at work at 4 am every day isn't necessarily ideal my friend. I'll gladly trade my roll with anybody that thinks it's a cakewalk.

As long as you don't have to close/open (which our ETL-LOG does once every month and a half or so, I fail to see the unfairness.
I was more so speaking to the fact that just the TL-LOG being the only exception at this point. All or nothing in my opinion.

When I was running Plano, I'd have hated to have a closing night each week. As Log-TL, it wouldn't be quite as bad in terms of having to go to bed earlier (since you're getting up/getting in two hours later than I was, thus presumably going to bed two hours later as well), but it's still pretty close. Even if you aren't close-opening, you're still wrecking your sleep schedule; the end result will be that you aren't at your peak during your closing shifts OR your opening shifts. Typical short-sighted leadership decision: "The other TLs are whining about how it's 'unfair' that ____ doesn't have a closing night, I'm going to have to change that so that they'll feel better" is clearly as far as your STL's thought process went, which means he didn't get to the very next thought, which is, "But wait, what effect will this have on ____'s effectiveness as a leader or even as a team member?"

And I'm not just making this up or speculating. While I was PTL (and thus working 4AM shifts), I was still on the normal weekend rotation. I closed Fri-Sun every four weeks, and came in at 7am on the Mondays afterward, which was a stellar idea; I mean, why would the Plano team need their leader to be there first thing on the first day of the week to get things started? I had a great team and we made it work, but it was so far from the ideal situation it isn't even funny. I was generally exhausted on the closing shifts, and it took me until at least Wednesday or Thursday of the following week to get back into my normal routine. You shouldn't have the same "the team needs its leader there" issues as Log-TL that I had on Plano, because Instocks/Dayside BR is basically the same from day to day and the team can generally handle itself just fine, but the personal effectiveness issues would still be there.

Woah bro, slow your roll son. Being at work at 4 am every day isn't necessarily ideal my friend. I'll gladly trade my roll with anybody that thinks it's a cakewalk.

Try that with someone else, I did your roll for years and I'm telling you right now - YOU HAVE A MUCH BETTER SCHEDULE. Got it bro, son?

Most morning TL's and ETL's will not close. Reason being (that I was told) their team is primarily only on during the morning, therefore there is no reason for them to be there to close. Sure there's always a backroom team member, but for a TL to be there for one team member would be pointless.

At my store however, morning leaders all close one day a month. Just to get a fresh perspective on the store processes.

LOL @" for a TL to be there for one team member would be pointless" even though any Salesfloor TL that is there is usually the only person on salesfloor for the first few hours and dont have any tms there.

Also if you are backroom, closing is prob actually BETTER to get projects done because you dont have a ton of people in the backroom and product everywhere. Its not like you are going to be on the floor doing stuff. Unless they want you to work salesfloor and do zoning and stuff. In which case thats BS. Also our Backroom TL, now a SR, used to only work mornings but now that he is a SR he works 1-2 nights I think.

Last edited:
Try that with someone else, I did your roll for years and I'm telling you right now - YOU HAVE A MUCH BETTER SCHEDULE. Got it bro, son?

Your overly aggressive, tough-guy persona on here isn't effective little man.

How can you hold 11 of your team leaders to a certain standard, but not the one is my question. Either you can join in the conversation, or not, but your attacks are just plain silly. Grow up.

When I was running Plano, I'd have hated to have a closing night each week. As Log-TL, it wouldn't be quite as bad in terms of having to go to bed earlier (since you're getting up/getting in two hours later than I was, thus presumably going to bed two hours later as well), but it's still pretty close. Even if you aren't close-opening, you're still wrecking your sleep schedule; the end result will be that you aren't at your peak during your closing shifts OR your opening shifts. Typical short-sighted leadership decision: "The other TLs are whining about how it's 'unfair' that ____ doesn't have a closing night, I'm going to have to change that so that they'll feel better" is clearly as far as your STL's thought process went, which means he didn't get to the very next thought, which is, "But wait, what effect will this have on ____'s effectiveness as a leader or even as a team member?"

And I'm not just making this up or speculating. While I was PTL (and thus working 4AM shifts), I was still on the normal weekend rotation. I closed Fri-Sun every four weeks, and came in at 7am on the Mondays afterward, which was a stellar idea; I mean, why would the Plano team need their leader to be there first thing on the first day of the week to get things started? I had a great team and we made it work, but it was so far from the ideal situation it isn't even funny. I was generally exhausted on the closing shifts, and it took me until at least Wednesday or Thursday of the following week to get back into my normal routine. You shouldn't have the same "the team needs its leader there" issues as Log-TL that I had on Plano, because Instocks/Dayside BR is basically the same from day to day and the team can generally handle itself just fine, but the personal effectiveness issues would still be there.
I mean, I'll do my portion of closing, but I think you hit the nail on the head with my opinion. Thanks for adding content to your posts and contributing to the thread instead of trolling.

Our BR/IS TL closes 1 day every other weekend. She is not in the BR, she is on the salesfloor that night.

Your overly aggressive, tough-guy persona on here isn't effective little man.

How can you hold 11 of your team leaders to a certain standard, but not the one is my question. Either you can join in the conversation, or not, but your attacks are just plain silly. Grow up.

If you really want to watch stupid rules rage, just ask "Why u mad tho".
The PMs are hi-larious.

You and your double standards. You bring out the insults of son, little man, bro, and then you blame others - watch your tone if you want the same respect *****.

Now on to your whining. How is it fair to the 1 closing TM if you never work with him? How can you write his review, coach, recognize, etc if you have no clue what his shift and/or performance is?

The same could be said for the salesfloor team, you should be out there with them for developing, training, holding them accountable, etc. Why? They are closing and zoning which impacts scanning from the IS team. They are pushing CAFs (which you should be doing also) and this let's you see the process from all perspectives.

Another reason is exposure to everyone, if you only work a 4am shift then the rest of the storeprobably has no clue who you are. As a leader you should be known by everyone.

What was your question anyway? Do other BR/IS TLs have to close? Yes they do. Take your own advice and grow up, stop trying to get 'facts' about other stores. If your STL says you will close then guess what, you will close.

You and your double standards. You bring out the insults of son, little man, bro, and then you blame others - watch your tone if you want the same respect *****.

Now on to your whining. How is it fair to the 1 closing TM if you never work with him? How can you write his review, coach, recognize, etc if you have no clue what his shift and/or performance is?

The same could be said for the salesfloor team, you should be out there with them for developing, training, holding them accountable, etc. Why? They are closing and zoning which impacts scanning from the IS team. They are pushing CAFs (which you should be doing also) and this let's you see the process from all perspectives.

Another reason is exposure to everyone, if you only work a 4am shift then the rest of the storeprobably has no clue who you are. As a leader you should be known by everyone.

What was your question anyway? Do other BR/IS TLs have to close? Yes they do. Take your own advice and grow up, stop trying to get 'facts' about other stores. If your STL says you will close then guess what, you will close.

I find you quite humorous. You came in to this thread with your guns-a-blazin attitude and started insulting me in your very first post, yet I need to grow up?

How do I know my closing team member? Because the closer isn't always... hold on here... the closer. SHOCKER! Oh my! Hollywood, here I come! I got me a movie deal honey! We have two team members that close, and one also works the 4 am process a few times a week, and the other works early on the weekends. I also work a mid every Tuesday in which I work 8-5:30 and guess what stupid rules? Guess? He comes in after me! So I get to talk with him... catch up... have a grand old time! Plus he's been around Target for 25 years! So he very well knows what's expected of him on a nightly basis.

So before you jump right into a thread and start trolling, please take a second to understand that you DON'T know everything. Just try it. Maybe you wont keep looking like a fool, k bro son? ;)

Zeek,

I also come from a ULV. Our BR/IS TL closes one night a week. On these nights shes on the floor. It might not be ideal for your schedule, but you get to know the closing team, its good for your development and gets you to be a little more global. I'm not sure if you get a choice or not, but I would recommend it if you could swing it with your personal life

Zeek,

I also come from a ULV. Our BR/IS TL closes one night a week. On these nights shes on the floor. It might not be ideal for your schedule, but you get to know the closing team, its good for your development and gets you to be a little more global. I'm not sure if you get a choice or not, but I would recommend it if you could swing it with your personal life

I fully understand it's apart of the TL responsibilities, but my point was that isn't it a double standard if you aren't making that a "rule" for ALL the team leaders? I know it's not going to be "awful" because it'd only be two nights a month. It just came out of the blue after a year of it not being an issue. :mda:

I fully understand it's apart of the TL responsibilities, but my point was that isn't it a double standard if you aren't making that a "rule" for ALL the team leaders? I know it's not going to be "awful" because it'd only be two nights a month. It just came out of the blue after a year of it not being an issue. :mda:

I see your point. Being in a ULV your in a tough spot being the BRTL, a 4 am process and the ISTL, a 7am process. Also in a ULV we have less Team Leaders that the "bigger" stores have. They just might want you to close for an extra Leadership presence at night. Challenge back and ask them why did they decide to change it after a year? Maybe they heard something for AE 2013 and decided to roll it out early. I'm just guessing now, sorry I can't be of more help

My only issue is this. We tell five year olds when they start screaming that so-and-so doesn't have to do anything to suck it up, mind their own business, and life isn't fair. I'm trying to be nice here....sometimes life isn't fair...and what is going on with someone else and their schedule really isn't any of our business.

OK kids, can we chill out for a minute here?
There seems to be an incredible sense of entitlement, that somehow being rude to each other is a g-d given right and that backing down for even a moment means you have a smaller penis.

Being a grownup is never easy and trying to have a conversation when you disagree with someone especially when you think they are an idiot can be very difficult.
But it can be done, without calling them an idiot (at least not directly) and most certainly not keeping things going after its clear that nothing positive is going to come out of the thread.
If you want to troll or beat on each other with your keyboards head on over to 4chan.
Please.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back