Unrealistic Expectations

Would have been nice if there was a larger version of the beauty backstock vehicle that could be used for repacks, since we can't use shopping carts anymore.

I see you’ve met my old boss, ETL-She Who Must be Obeyed...🎯
It sounds like her clones have a wide distribution base within Spot, yes.

And in regards to helping with everything under the sun, we who are there for tight shifts do what we can. At least, those of us working do. When they said that all those other things will be added to our plates, I just sort of 'We'll see'd' it... I'm not at Spot because I'm good at a lot of different tasks, believe it or not. Eliminating teams does not seem to be the action of a healthy company, either, so I guess I will stay for as long as possible.

This.
My TL is this way. My ETL only sometimes. This has the complete opposite affect on me. It makes me nervous and frazzled therefore I make mistakes and work slower. Nothing is worse than a leader that’s a bully and uses fear and intimidation as a way to motivate people. Stupidity.
That sounds a lot like my TL and my ETL Log. The ETL Log is worse with his intimidation and bullying and my TL is just butt kissing him. So stupid. I never get a thank you from them when I used to stay extra. Instead I get bitched at. Some shit managers. They never say anything to those TMs with one headphone in their ear while on the salesfloor with guests.

Would have been nice if there was a larger version of the beauty backstock vehicle that could be used for repacks, since we can't use shopping carts anymore.
What kind of vehicle do you use? Do you have one of those with small bins?

What kind of vehicle do you use? Do you have one of those with small bins?
We have two, one for beauty backstock and one for their push. It'd be too small to work with repacks for things like HBA if you tried to use it to break the repacks out by aisle like we used to do in shopping carts. We end up doing it on a u-boat with wacos zip tied to it that are labeled by aisle. It's a lot faster than the way they want us to do repacks, but it's definitely not "brand" when you see it on the salesfloor. Not that much you see on the salesfloor is brand anymore...

Wrong.

They’re getting rid of logistics teams and changing those tm’s job scopes as a way to increase expectations and reduce overall payroll.

Any other given reason is straight bullshit.
🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯 NAILED IT
that pay increase only works out for Spot if they get rid of a ton of TMs.

Yes, I’ll set a goal that’s higher than that, because if I set the goal to match the guidelines it’s harder to get results that exceed them.

See below.

This has the complete opposite affect on me. It makes me nervous and frazzled therefore I make mistakes and work slower.

@busyzoningtoys Are you completely 100% sure that setting a higher goal than reasonable is actually encouraging people who don't share your brain to do better? Or could you be making someone more nervous, slowing them down, making them wonder if this is the day the axe will fall for not measuring up, even if it hasn't before, because there's more background work history to punish them on?

To be fair, Target really does have a lot of "dead weight" on payroll. Including all these managers.
A company meltdown of processes exchanged for new ones that do not work probably isn't the way to handle individual employees who could be considered dead weight, but I'm only a grunt, so what do I know. I can only do my best and I'm gonna get canned anyway, sooooo shrug
(but I will have to laugh the day that totl gets fired after they've done everything they could, nasty or otherwise. Couldn't they see the gaping hole? They're coming for them, too. All totl has is a bucket, and they cannot bail out fast enough. Learn to swim.)

Last edited by a moderator:
See below.

@busyzoningtoys Are you completely 100% sure that setting a higher goal than reasonable is actually encouraging people who don't share your brain to do better? Or could you be making someone more nervous, slowing them down, making them wonder if this is the day the axe will fall for not measuring up, even if it hasn't before, because there's more background work history to punish them on?
hell, that second paragraph is me, and the day is today.

See below.

I’d like to think I’m pretty close to my team and have a pretty good read on them; I’m familiar with the types of TMs for whom this strategy would not work and if I had any of them I would adjust my strategy accordingly.

A company meltdown of processes exchanged for new ones that do not work probably isn't the way to handle individual employees who could be considered dead weight, but I'm only a grunt, so what do I know. I can only do my best and I'm gonna get canned anyway, sooooo shrug
(but I will have to laugh the day that so and so gets fired after they've done everything they could, nasty or otherwise. Can you not see the gaping hole, so and so? They're coming for you, too, bucko. All you have is a bucket, you cannot bail out fast enough. Learn to swim.)

The fuck is this manifesto garbage?

well, it can be referred to as a metaphor, allegory, or a simile! Feel free to google those definitions. :)

Translation: "That made me mad, so I'm going to overcompensate with a smile emoji."

And we're proud of you! Feel free to use this positive look instead attempting to fight randoms if they happen to disagree with you. (or word something in a way that you wouldn't.)

I don't even know if you agreed or disagreed in the first place.

If your leader hasn’t ever actually pushed those repacks, or you think they haven’t, then I’m sorry.
I know my TL has never pushed the pharmacy repacks - or at least not more than a very, very few - because she has me work them before the case packs get touched, the goal being that I finish them before I leave for the day. I can think of 2 or 3 other TMs who she would send to finish them up if I'm unable to before she'd do it herself. (This isn't to say my TL is awful. She's not, but she doesn't push the repacks either.)
My previous TL would help in my area by pushing case packs only, never touching a 6-pack of Motrin or band-aids. It's possible that the ETL-Log or STL has pushed a repack, but not that I can recall ever seeing, anywhere in the store. And those ETL's are ok too, not overly demanding, but they've not done the repacks.
One thing I'd absolutely love to see any of them do would be the new sorting process for the hard lines repacks, and the latest new-fangled way we have to stack the soft lines repacks and flat boxes now. Just started having 5 pallets for stacking soft lines this week, and it was horrible. Hoping it shakes out and gets better, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

A leader will ask you to do more than is possible for a lot of reasons.

Maybe your LOD is a shit manager. Or maybe they have this practice to keep you busy, so they have to supervise you less. If you have good work ethic, you will get more work done this way than if she only gave you two or three repacks.

Maybe they are also just hoping you will get way more done than they expect.

I always ask my team for more than I think they can do, and every day so,some one surprises me. I ask because if they have tasks, they don’t dick around chatting with everyone and their brother.
Perfect. EXACTLY how I feel too.

I ended up getting it done because a trainee was scheduled to work with someone else but they called off so I got him. To top it all off and slightly unrelated, my bad day got worse after I clocked out and went to get McDonalds on the way home where I got rear ended. Then I got home and found out McDonalds forgot my sandwich.
Laughable day.
Good for you. See, what originally seemed impossible...was not.
Each day : do your best, enlist help whenever possible, don’t stress, speak to how/why what was assigned was accomplished, or not.
Oops, forgot how important attitude is. Don’t be self-defeating by grumbling you CAN’T do it. Ya, it was a LOT. But STAY POSITIVE.

I'm guessing people that push repacks and other truck inbound aren't expected to help with other store processes
Not at my store. We're still supposed to push the truck ASAP and leave cashier back-up etc. to sales floor TMs. I feel pretty confident saying that practically all the flow TMs are willing to help with those tasks (there are some who'd balk at being on a register, but they'd be cool with the other stuff, and have helped a fair amount with those other things), but the focus is get the truck done and leave. Audit and back stock if there's time, but if not, others will do it (or it just doesn't get done, more likely).

Back