Upcoming Operational changes

I hated the gray dots, I hate the dual location stickers, I hate the ad signs, I love-hate adhesive dividers. JUST STOP ALL THE STICKY THINGS. And don't even get me started on the "this product not intended for the storage of babies" stickers on Sterilite bins.

Maybe it is just me, but I miss the Move app and the ability to manually drop OFO batches. Because then you didn’t have a batch sitting there waiting to be pulled making you freak out.

Having transferred to a store that is running the priority pilot, I can tell that Priority Pulls are much less of a hassle and the team isn’t struggling to meet metrics because they gained back time they’ve lost.

But at the end of the day, the focus has always been shifted, and I never understood why the company didn’t put the emphasis on “Out” batches and instead put the emphasis on “One for One.” You cannot sell what is not on the floor - period. And I have always stressed to my team that while I expect OFOs to be pulled, the more important batch is the outs. And when hours are tight and time is of the essence, they made sure that we never had “outs.” And by giving them the autonomy to decide what the priority was, fun fact, they kept the floor full while not wasting time on “one for ones.” (But even then, they did pull OFOs often because they were manageable.)

Semi-related: My biggest complaint of all is the fact that in Style, they set capacities on their POGs to numbers that are greater than 2-3, you know, the expected number of each size that should be out on the floor. So every damn time a transition or revision would drop, I would waste hours changing capacities to “2.”

Alas, I’m now a PML - so I have bigger fish to fry. (After being on the floor for 10 years with little upward movement, I wanted to try something new.) But I’m grateful to see the improvements they’re making to pulls and the overall store’s operations. I just wish we didn’t have to go through “what is old is new again” game.

Maybe it is just me, but I miss the Move app and the ability to manually drop OFO batches. Because then you didn’t have a batch sitting there waiting to be pulled making you freak out.

Having transferred to a store that is running the priority pilot, I can tell that Priority Pulls are much less of a hassle and the team isn’t struggling to meet metrics because they gained back time they’ve lost.

But at the end of the day, the focus has always been shifted, and I never understood why the company didn’t put the emphasis on “Out” batches and instead put the emphasis on “One for One.” You cannot sell what is not on the floor - period. And I have always stressed to my team that while I expect OFOs to be pulled, the more important batch is the outs. And when hours are tight and time is of the essence, they made sure that we never had “outs.” And by giving them the autonomy to decide what the priority was, fun fact, they kept the floor full while not wasting time on “one for ones.” (But even then, they did pull OFOs often because they were manageable.)

Semi-related: My biggest complaint of all is the fact that in Style, they set capacities on their POGs to numbers that are greater than 2-3, you know, the expected number of each size that should be out on the floor. So every damn time a transition or revision would drop, I would waste hours changing capacities to “2.”

Alas, I’m now a PML - so I have bigger fish to fry. (After being on the floor for 10 years with little upward movement, I wanted to try something new.) But I’m grateful to see the improvements they’re making to pulls and the overall store’s operations. I just wish we didn’t have to go through “what is old is new again” game.
Yeah I don’t understand why tf target sets a standard for style for 2 of each size yet EVERY single pog has more. I’ve seen men’s performance POGs have 72 capacities. Some items can be more (girls/boys/infants tops) but women’s sweaters during q4??? You can barely fit one of each size and look presentable. One thing I was taught was the standard was 2 of each size (depending on the product/how full the dept was in terms of volume) but that the top selling sizes would have 3 (girls, boys, men’s is m/l, etc etc)

Yeah I don’t understand why tf target sets a standard for style for 2 of each size yet EVERY single pog has more. I’ve seen men’s performance POGs have 72 capacities. Some items can be more (girls/boys/infants tops) but women’s sweaters during q4??? You can barely fit one of each size and look presentable. One thing I was taught was the standard was 2 of each size (depending on the product/how full the dept was in terms of volume) but that the top selling sizes would have 3 (girls, boys, men’s is m/l, etc etc)
In my opinion, only basics should be backstocked in Style. I have no Mens hanging or table in the back.

As with every new operational or myDevice app change I like to voice my opinion and give my feedback whether it gets to someone that can actually get it to the team that builds those tools or not.

I’ve given my feedback on pulls/backstocking in myDay as well as myDay as a whole in the past and with Priority Pulls being a big new pilot I definitely have thoughts as well. As I use the system more I’ll have more feedback on the actually usability of it and how well it’s working in practice because that’s all that matters. As it stands I fully support the change as a “in theory” but I’ll have to continue to actually use it. I don’t see any downsides/cons in it yet over OFOs.

OFOs literally only worked for 2 out of the 4 quarters of the year. I’ve explained to my leadership and DSD many times that OFOs sound good in theory but not in practice. I don’t think OFOs were ever a change that was piloted at stores and was literally just rolled out to the chain like it was the best idea. I will never miss them. They don’t work during Q4 when the workload is high and you are getting 2 trailers a day for many days of the week and fulfillment is dropping heavy. Trust me when I say I’ve been with Target for a couple years and I’ve seen how unpractical it is to complete OFOs during Q4.

Our store struggled with this big time with our backroom quantities being through the roof. Then you try to rebound after the holiday season but as you know in Q1 payroll and hours just arent there. We struggle to complete truck in Q1 with the hours we have never mind have time to do thousands of pulls from Q4.. Q2 is the earliest you can catch up and have OFOs actually work but then again is all still a waste. It doesn’t work Q4/Q1 and works poorly Q2/Q3.. so 50% of the year it’s a failed system.

You NEED a full time backroom team for OFOs to work in my opinion. Considering Target got rid of the backroom team I think the only replenishment pull that will work for DBOs is priority.

I hear some people say that OFOs work for them or their department specifically but I just don’t agree and there are many arguments and reasons why. Target needs to listen to their veteran TMs and hear from the people that have been through both the old ways and the new ways.

They have improved many things in MyDay over what we used to have but it just seems like sometimes they feel the need to completely reinvent the wheel when all we need or ask for are
Quality of Life fixes.

The biggest flaw with OFOs is the time waste/efficiency which Priority pulls greatly improves. Even a simple call out can get a dept behind on OFOs and trying to scramble a TM to complete the pull before you are knees deep in it.

It’s been a good year before I’ve been this excited about an operational change at Target. It’s a small change with a big impact, and I think guests will get the benefits of product getting to the floor faster.

I’m interested to hear what disadvantages TMs find in Priority pulls though.
Disadvantage so far is trying to educate GMETL that this mysterious "Priority" is a better choice than just pulling OOS when we're buried. Taking about 3 days for it to be "his idea," to try this "priority" thing . Oh geeses.

In my opinion, only basics should be backstocked in Style. I have no Mens hanging or table in the back.
I agree depending on volume. My store has the highest volume in our district but also not big enough square footage for style so it is impossible to put all hanging product on the floor and still be presentable with the exception of big boy/girl, nit and who what wear/Ava Viv

You honestly expect me to believe ETL's and TL's would be pushing EVERY day? That alone makes me think you perhaps forgot the sarcasm font. Thanks for the laugh anyway!
Our GM HR SS ETL push truck daily, our S&E can kick rocks the team wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. Don't get me wrong they definately all have their flaws, but they have never not jumped in when we are backed up.

Our GM HR SS ETL push truck daily, our S&E can kick rocks the team wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. Don't get me wrong they definately all have their flaws, but they have never not jumped in when we are backed up.
Wow. Ours won't leave the office but in pairs, start,then abandon push on the floor, and scream and giggle trying to make a bale. Embarrassing.

That makes no sense. It will cause INFs.
Nah, Cause at my store we don't accept the truck until it is fully unloaded. By that point all the uboats are fully loaded, organized, and labeled and the fulfillment team can find it just as easily on an unpunished boat as they can the sales floor. solid green metrics

Nah, Cause at my store we don't accept the truck until it is fully unloaded. By that point all the uboats are fully loaded, organized, and labeled and the fulfillment team can find it just as easily on an unpunished boat as they can the sales floor. solid green metrics

It seems our inbound TL accepts truck as soon as he senses a truck approaching the store. There must be one of those stupid corporate metric that makes him do that. It's ridiculous. He's even accepted the wrong day's truck because of his auto-accept ASAP mode and we had mass INF issues because of it.

It seems our inbound TL accepts truck as soon as he senses a truck approaching the store. There must be one of those stupid corporate metric that makes him do that. It's ridiculous. He's even accepted the wrong day's truck because of his auto-accept ASAP mode and we had mass INF issues because of it.
It does say on the app when you acknowledge the trailer if its otw or at the store, but you should double check before accepting anything.

I wish this was our store. Our Fulfillment team usually starts scanning in the back first because it's usually equally or even more full than the floorpad.

Most of our style is in repack boxes on pallets in the back, their idea of break out is just resort the repacks off the truck into other repacks and put a sticky note on it. It may get pushed in a couple weeks. Same for hanging, racks fucking everywhere.

The only metric is whether or not you don’t accept it. I actually hate that you can accept a truck before it’s even been there.

I remember once when we had a fill-in ETL-GM because ours was on leave. The idiot acknowledged a trailer that was on the dock and then decided that it wasn't going to be unloaded at all that day to give us time to catch up on other things that were behind due to his general incompetence. Good times for fulfillment that day. Good times indeed.

Our fulfillment TL would be screaming so loud if we did that, you'd all hear it wherever you are.

We have had that happen when they decided to on a double truck day but the next one was cancelled to not actually unload the 2nd one. Dumb newbie ETL acknowledged it.. Oh the screaming that happened that day. Til the day he quit he would ask before acknowledging a trailer.

Ahh..I wondered how the heck an item would show up the "next day"...after I d get a tsktsk...for not finding the item...as usual the inept cause the problem.

Back