Archived Use it or lose it - vacation hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting January 1 the vacation, personal and sick hours you accrue will no longer be paid out to you when you quit or are fired.

Some other upcoming changes to benefits are:

Limiting the amount of bereavement paid out per 2 year period.
Reduced maximum vacation hour bank (1.5 times annual accrual limit).
Parental Leave: Two weeks of paid vacation if you have a baby.
Four hours of well-being pay per year for full-time team members.

You can get more info here.

I believe about half of the states legally require payouts of some sort. So it's not for everyone.

From another thread: changes to vacation usage
So the changes I'm seeing are:
  • Vacation caps out at 1.5 your limit
  • Vacation time won't get paid out when you leave unless you retire, or when legally required. This applies only to vacation time gained after Jan 1
  • TMs that work at least 30 hours a week will get 4 hours of paid well being time per year for health appointments, volunteer activities, financial planning meetings
  • TM Moms who are eligible for Short Term Disability and been with Target for 1 year will get 2 weeks of paid maternity leave. Those that don't qualify get 2 weeks unpaid leave
  • Bereavement time will now include funerals, reading of wills/final documents, and making final arrangements for family members. TM's will be eligible for 3 days of Bereavement time for the loss of close family members and 4 hours for distant family and close friends
So it looks like if you're planning on quitting, use up that vacation first. Looks like we are getting some added benefits though.

asidius, Today at 1:03

From another thread:
3. I have accrued vacation time/sick time/personal leave days that I will not use before leaving my company. Is the company required to pay me for that time?

It depends on the type of leave that you have. 24 states--Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island (after one year of employment), Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wyoming--and the District of Columbia require that your employer include any unused vacation pay that has accrued (that you would have been entitled to use) in your final paycheck.

Source: Final Pay - Workplace Fairness

So they are so hard up for money, they are willing to put a policy into place that won't affect half the states (including Minnesota and people at the corporate office!) because of employment laws, and will screw over the other half of the states. Classy.

Retail Girl, Tuesday at 7:42

So whatever your total vacation hours amount is before January 1st 2016 is what you can keep? Is that true? I've got over 100 hours currently and don't plan on using them at all because I'm padding them up. I earn 6 hours per month. I could be up to about 150 before January 1st 2016. Does that mean I get to keep those hours?

None of this Obama "you can keep your plan period" bullshit. You either can or can't.

Target shouldn't be allowed to touch or interact in any way with MY EARNED vacation hours or any other worker's vacation hours. I earned them. Target did not.

But yeah I agree with most. When I saw this in the breakroom hallway, I just knew it was something bad and I was right. Target has become a joke. They treat their employees like shit while the corporate ass fucks continue to get richer. I hate this company. I will be so glad when I'm free from this poisonous life sucking joke of a company.

I loved this from the targetandpaybenefits website. I've seen better written propaganda in China and North Korea. ROFL

“Why is Target changing this
when the carryover and payout
rules worked just fine?” In the
past, our vacation plans encouraged
team members to save up time, not
use it. This plan is designed to help
you use the benefit you’ve earned
while you’re at Target. Plus, it allows
us to invest more into our time-off
plans, including offering well-being
time and more parental leave to all
vacation-eligible team members.

Dear Target,

Fuck your time-off plans. I don't give a fuck about what you think is best for me or anyone else in the store. You can burn in Hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack, as I understand it, you will receive a one time pay out to take you down to your new maximum amount of vacation hours. If you continue not to use vacation, you will just not earn any more. If you eventually quit, depending on the state, you will forfeit those hours/money, and Target wins.

I look for a lot of departing TMs to put in for vay-cay (& having to extend their last day to do so) until spot decides to ban that, too.
Of course while you're using up your vay-cay, might as well get in some last-minute shopping before losing the TM discount.

Obama definitely played a part. Bush too. Both are destroyers of America.

Parents get two weeks off if they have a kid. Singles should get two weeks off for not having one.

I have no problem with the limitations, but getting rid of vacation or personal time upon termination or resignation is absolutely ridiculous. Four hours of well being time? A single doctor visit could eat that up. Better than nothing, I guess.

Dowork, definitely agree about singles with no kids getting some days off for being single and chidless. No one ever talks about that. How parents get special treatment while childless humans get nothing.

Emphasis mine.

So did Target say eff you, FMLA? Or, am I thinking of something else?
I got that info from target pay. I am sorry to offend you. I don't agree with spot on these changes, because I have a lot of vacation hours to use, in a short period of time.

FMLA should still apply but you can count on spot to screw with the details.
@Hardlinesmaster: you'd better start using up that vay-cay quick, my friend.

Last edited:
@Jackswastedlife99
I also read from that packet that for every year that passes 80 hours from your 'old banked' hours will carry over to the 'new bank' hours. So it's like it will be taken away anyway over time.

whatev's..... :rolleyes:

@Hardlinesmaster
I am sorry to hear that. I have many hours as well that I use for average hours, so I can empathize with you...:(

I got that info from target pay. I am sorry to offend you. I don't agree with spot on these changes, because I have a lot of vacation hours to use, in a short period of time

No offense taken at all (did I word my post weird?)

I read the notice too at work, but it just seems like it was worded like they were over-writing FMLA, which says...

FMLA Website said:
The Family and Medical Leave Act - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor

Leave Entitlement

A covered employer must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid leave in a 12 month period for one or more of the following reasons:

• for the birth of a son or daughter, and to care for the newborn child;
  • for the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care, and to care for the newly placed child;
With FMLA, you get 12 weeks if you qualify. Is the Target leave an additional 2 weeks? Are they ignoring this? Or is this simply for people who don't qualify?*

*Qualify
FMLA Website said:
Employee Eligibility

To be eligible for FMLA leave, an employee must work for a covered employer and:

• have worked for that employer for at least 12 months; and
  • have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 months prior to the start of the FMLA leave; and,
  • work at a location where at least 50 employees are employed at the location or within 75 miles of the location.

The two weeks is for those who don't qualify - ie: have worked for Target for less than a year or haven't accumulated enough hours.
If you've passed your 90 days, you could ask for an unpaid leave but whether it's approved or not would be at your store's discretion.

I get the people wanting to keep hours "for emergency purposes" but why the heck is it so hard for people to just take a vacation?! My old POG team lead was capped for years and hardly ever took anytime off. Why?! You're just giving away free time! The store will not fall apart if you take a week off! Even if you can not afford to go anywhere take a "staycation"

If you're in a specialty area with a small team & a large workload, it CAN be impossible to get approved for time off.
Plus the stress of knowing that you'll be coming back to a sh!tstorm of a mess (because they didn't cover your hours while you were gone) defeats the purpose of a vay cay.

If you're in a specialty area with a small team & a large workload, it CAN be impossible to get approved for time off.
Plus the stress of knowing that you'll be coming back to a sh!tstorm of a mess (because they didn't cover your hours while you were gone) defeats the purpose of a vay cay.

You have a very badly run store if that is the case. If you are the team lead of one of those teams you can see forecasting like 6 weeks out. POG especially. There was plenty of weeks I could have ran the team while he was gone. Coordinating with your peers/ETL is a basic skill set any TL should have. If you are a team member its not your problem its the ETL's or TL's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back