Archived Useless ETLs

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday I was at work and my Starbucks DM showed up for one of her surprise follow up visits. My TL was off so it was just us dealing with her. I had to step off the floor since I'm my TL's AST and FSA so technically I was the supervisor on duty for our department. I've never had to do this before but my ETL came and she sat down with us asking for the results on the action plan that was made during our last DSV( Detailed Store Visit). One of them was to replace the water filtration system because it was outdated. My ETL supposedly had "no" idea that that needed to be addressed. He tried to pin it on my TL and myself but luckily I was able to pull up the work order history and the emails that I sent where I CCed both my ETL and my STL. He was not happy that I did that but I was so mad that he tried to pass the blame to me. You're the ETL, you should own up to your responsibility. My DM even asked to see the sales for the week and he had no idea how to pull up sales, I had to do it. Why are most ETLs so USELESS? They are considered managers when they don't manage anything! So annoyed.

Be careful about stepping on your ETL's toes. They'll start looking for reasons & ways to performance you out, and/or will make your life miserable. You damaged your ETL's precious ego by pointing out his deceit, and that's a huge no-no. I'm pretty sure it's even in the handbook.
I know he was bothered but I was not about to let myself get in trouble or my TL for his irresponsibility and immaturity. It really bothered me.

I think you did the correct thing. Look after yourself and team, especially when fingers are pointed at you. The ETL should have assumed the responsibility - both for not communicating and follow-through.
Thank you. I'd like to think I did do the right thing. I'm sure he would have tried to coach me and my TL just to save himself from disciplinary action from our STL. It's not right. ETLs are supposed to be some sort of support especially your workcenter specific ETL, but this one just tried to through us under the bus. Not cool at all.

I always kept my ETL & TLs in the loop.
If they miss something, it's on them.
Fortunately, I've had mostly good leadership lately.

I always kept my ETL & TLs in the loop.
If they miss something, it's on them.
Fortunately, I've had mostly good leadership lately.
I have a great TL so I know she would have handled it just fine. I just surprised how my ETL was so willing to throw us under the bus.

I have a great TL so I know she would have handled it just fine. I just surprised how my ETL was so willing to throw us under the bus.

That's what bad managers do to save themselves.
It's also what people who don't have a lot of experience in dealing with problems do as well.

I don't know how old your ETL is or how long they have been on the job but all too often if they are one of the straight out of college types who have only been doing Spots bidding owning problems like this isn't in their skill set.

That's what bad managers do to save themselves.
It's also what people who don't have a lot of experience in dealing with problems do as well.

I don't know how old your ETL is or how long they have been on the job but all too often if they are one of the straight out of college types who have only been doing Spots bidding owning problems like this isn't in their skill set.
My ETL is in his mid 30's and has experience. No ETL really knows how to handle Starbucks other than the TL and the TMs. We are their best asset when it comes down to corporate visits. I wish they understood that.

Last edited:
My ETL is in his mid 30's and has experience. He's our ETL-OPs but has no idea what he's doing when it comes to Starbucks. No ETL really knows how to handle Starbucks other than the TL and the TMs. We are their best asset when it comes down to corporate visits. I wish they understood that.

That's where you go back to bad management.
I totally understand not knowing being put in charge of a department that is totally outside of your wheelhouse and not knowing what the hell is going on.
That's when you lean on the people below you until you figure out how things work but you spend the time to learn how it works.
Staying ignorant is not only unacceptable it's bad for everyone.
Sorry you got stuck in that position.

That's where you go back to bad management.
I totally understand not knowing being put in charge of a department that is totally outside of your wheelhouse and not knowing what the hell is going on.
That's when you lean on the people below you until you figure out how things work but you spend the time to learn how it works.
Staying ignorant is not only unacceptable it's bad for everyone.
Sorry you got stuck in that position.
I feel like it's part of an ETL's core roles to be incompetent and an obstacle rather than a supporter.

@CoquiAzul , I was a Starbucks TL. My ETL was the main reason I quit. This person was : unsupportive, unknowledgeable, unaccountable, you name it. I actually caught my ETL trying to throw my under the bus to my Starbucks DM. Guess what-my DM had my back!

ETLs try to pretend like they give a shit about our area, but they don't. They just like to look smart, when they know nothing about Starbucks. Plus, a lot of ETLs get a kick out of making you look stupid, so they look good.

Sorry to rant, bit I feel you. And kudos to you for having your TL's back!

@CoquiAzul , I was a Starbucks TL. My ETL was the main reason I quit. This person was : unsupportive, unknowledgeable, unaccountable, you name it. I actually caught my ETL trying to throw my under the bus to my Starbucks DM. Guess what-my DM had my back!

ETLs try to pretend like they give a shit about our area, but they don't. They just like to look smart, when they know nothing about Starbucks. Plus, a lot of ETLs get a kick out of making you look stupid, so they look good.

Sorry to rant, bit I feel you. And kudos to you for having your TL's back!
I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm lucky that we have a very supportive STL and our Team Leader is great and well respected so I'm not worried about our useless ETL. It's not the first time I've butt heads with him. He even pulled me aside and told me "Next time, let me handle the situation." Handle what? He did absolutely nothing r. He was a complete waste of space during that entire interaction. I can only imagine what the outcome would have been if I "let him handle it." He's a moron.

Ok so I have a similar situation and I'm a newborn SB TL..I really need help as I see the exit door and me walking through it..

Ok so I have a similar situation and I'm a newborn SB TL..I really need help as I see the exit door and me walking through it..
What do you need help with? I can try and help you.

My ETL is in his mid 30's and has experience. He's our ETL-OPs but has no idea what he's doing when it comes to Starbucks. No ETL really knows how to handle Starbucks other than the TL and the TMs. We are their best asset when it comes down to corporate visits. I wish they understood that.

I have not met an ETL yet who understands Starbucks. I'll have a new SF/GE soon and I'm worried because I oversee SB/FA and am new to it. Where do I take my worries?

I have not met an ETL yet who understands Starbucks. I'll have a new SF/GE soon and I'm worried because I oversee SB/FA and am new to it. Where do I take my worries?
For starters, may sure your teams carts & training are up to date. Be proactive in your smart tm's who know process. Be respectful of them. Hey @redeye58 or @Sickofspot, we need some help here, please.

If you have questions about Starbucks related issues, always partner with your Starbucks DM. Try and forge a strong relationship with them because sometimes they can be your backbone to push an issue that arises in the department.

@Ladida0905 welcome to The Break Room.

Sorry you have been having such a tough time with Spot and I hope some of the folks here can help you.

If I can make one suggestion, it would be easier to understand your post if you broke it up a bit.
I do know that if you're using the mobile ap sometimes it jams it all together so if that's the case no worries but a solid block of of text can be daunting to read.

I guess the main question is how do I learn anything without the proper training and without stepping on toes?

Coming here and asking questions is , sadly, one of the ways a lot of people do it.

@redeye58 do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch, but is it normal to have a trainer that everyone recommends yet doesnt want to train anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back