Archived v43 POS Changes - What to expect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Bosch glad I could help. My store was one of the test stores and we had a full roll out weeks before it was official. My store is a border store so about 50% of our sales are from Canadians and this chip update dose not acept Canadian chip debt cards, which leads to tons of angry guest everday
Were they previously able to use their debit cards? I can't see why they would think it would suddenly work.

Were they previously able to use their debit cards? I can't see why they would think it would suddenly work.
The Canadian debt cards always worked before the update but now it will not accept the chip in their card,they have had chip and pin for a long time, corporate says its because the chip is too old. Since the card is a chip card it will not allow it to slide, we can hand key some but some don't have expiration dates. When we got the update all the older red cards that began with a 9 would not work, at least they fixed that.

I don't know how, but I managed to get the reader to accept sliding a chip card once...

I'd like to be able to repeat that.

Ok so there's a video, but it doesn't actually give you practical training just an introduction to the technology. The training i received was a placard, ten minutes with my gstl, ge-etl and 4 pages of known issues. From openig to noon, we found two other issues that was not listed in the problem guide. I don't think my boss was impressed with the new system yet.
On a personal note, ignoring years of muscle memory to retrain myself for returns, exchanges and ither stuff at the Service Desk was an interesting experience.

Yes! This asking guests to swipe their card is killing me. And I had to call another store's GSA and ask how to do a payment to a prepaid card because they didn't tell us how to do it.

We were in the same boat as many here. There was zero training for the chip card reader, one day the card reader made obnoxious noise and we just had to wing it. It's really not a big deal, like pretty much anything else you read the prompts and go with it.

One question I have that I didn't see in this thread, and sorry if I missed it, when you run a debit card with a chip in it it doesn't ask for a PIN and it never gives a cash back option. We have had the chip enabled for a few weeks now, does anyone have a way to offer cash back that they know of?

We were in the same boat as many here. There was zero training for the chip card reader, one day the card reader made obnoxious noise and we just had to wing it. It's really not a big deal, like pretty much anything else you read the prompts and go with it.

One question I have that I didn't see in this thread, and sorry if I missed it, when you run a debit card with a chip in it it doesn't ask for a PIN and it never gives a cash back option. We have had the chip enabled for a few weeks now, does anyone have a way to offer cash back that they know of?

That is one of the billions of bugs. Right now there is no way around it. They should have this fixed next month (maybe) but until then the guests can't get cash back.

Not right now. The reader reads all chipped cards as Credit Cards so... no cash back. You can't use chipped debit cards to pay on their RedCard either. They can call and pay over the phone with their card. Our Leaders have been giving apology coupons if the guest uses the ATM to make up for the service fee.

That is one of the billions of bugs. Right now there is no way around it. They should have this fixed next month (maybe) but until then the guests can't get cash back.
Not right now. The reader reads all chipped cards as Credit Cards so... no cash back. You can't use chipped debit cards to pay on their RedCard either. They can call and pay over the phone with their card. Our Leaders have been giving apology coupons if the guest uses the ATM to make up for the service fee.
So...they got the "Chip" part right, but completely forgot about the PIN? Isn't that one of the main things that makes Chip and >PIN< more secure than magnetic stripes? I get that they're harder to be copied in the event of a data breach, but real-world fraud typically happens when a card is lost or stolen, and PINs prevent someone using a card they don't own.

these guests who dont know how to use their chip and pin cards have wrecked my speed score
My GE-ETL reminded each team member that we must have patience with the guests unfamiliar with the new chip and pin system. I doubt anyone's goingvto use the speed scores for anything important with the system just put into place.

This new update crashed 7 of our registers, bringing us to 9 of 20 registers working on a friday night. Mind you my store is ultra high volume masquerading as high volume. We were at 1+4 all night

Same with my store. We have 24 registers, and about 8 of them are offline for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately most if them are front lanes as well. Nobody in our store knows when they'll be fixed.

@Bosch glad I could help. My store was one of the test stores and we had a full roll out weeks before it was official. My store is a border store so about 50% of our sales are from Canadians and this chip update dose not acept Canadian chip debt cards, which leads to tons of angry guest everday

I am in a boarder state but a bit south to get a lot of the Canadian traffic, but I see enough Canadian cards including relatives that I can spot one.. Glad to know that Canadian cards won't work.. But most Canadians should already know that US readers and credit system is different. At least my relatives get that they can't buy gas at the pump, always have to go in(cause they can't use a US zip code).

I am in a boarder state but a bit south to get a lot of the Canadian traffic, but I see enough Canadian cards including relatives that I can spot one.. Glad to know that Canadian cards won't work.. But most Canadians should already know that US readers and credit system is different. At least my relatives get that they can't buy gas at the pump, always have to go in(cause they can't use a US zip code).

Funny I am a GSA in a Store that's a border state with Canada and were one of the test stores that got the software back in June. 9 times out of 10 Canadian chip cards work with no issue same with tourists from Europe. In fact they seem to work as often as the cards issued in the US other then cards issued by Bank of America, which seem to have issues with the machines reading the chips.
Wouldn't shock me if the issue the Canadians near you are having is the Card Issuer flagging the account as they are away from home and didn't notify them that they would be traveling. We encounter all the time being in an area with lots of tourists.

Funny I am a GSA in a Store that's a border state with Canada and were one of the test stores that got the software back in June. 9 times out of 10 Canadian chip cards work with no issue same with tourists from Europe. In fact they seem to work as often as the cards issued in the US other then cards issued by Bank of America, which seem to have issues with the machines reading the chips.
Wouldn't shock me if the issue the Canadians near you are having is the Card Issuer flagging the account as they are away from home and didn't notify them that they would be traveling. We encounter all the time being in an area with lots of tourists.
All TD and scotiabank cards almost never work. It is mostly the debt cards. It's never not accepted cause of the cards being flagged. Most Canadians don't just shop at target.

So do the old Target Check Cards (the ones with like fifty Spot logos on them) even work with the new update? Something tells me they don't.

Weird, cuz they don't work at my store. I'm not talking about just pre-chip Target Debit Cards. I mean the *really* old ones that say Target Check Card on them.

There is another trick for the new POS system that I don't think has been mentioned.

There is a way to get chip cards to swipe

This trick cannot be used to get cash back or to make debit payments on a redcard. However, it can be used to bypass the PIN part of a chip credit card.

To use this trick, take the card and insert it backwards, with the chip facing the wrong way, out of the machine. The card reader will say something to the effect of "Chip read error reinsert card." Repeat this step two more times. On the third attempt, the message will change its language to include "swipe card." At this point, it can swipe like a normal card but without needing a pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back