Archived Vacation Hours-Can you use them up to your average hours if you are scheduled less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.K. I have been with the company for 12 years. I have opened 5 new stores and worked at two other existing stores. At every other store, except the one I am at now, you could use your accumulated Vacation/Personal Hours to make up the difference if you were scheduled less than your average hours. For example, if you were scheduled 32 hours and you averaged 36, you could request 4 vacation hours to make up the difference. At my current store, we can't do this.

In the past all I had to do is tell my HR Clerical that I wanted vacation hours for the week that I was under my average hours and she would key them in--no questions asked. I know we have to do this on the eHR kiosk now, but unless I actually requested a day off for the week in question, I was told that I can't use my accumulated hours. (I also used to use them if I was sick and had to call off a day during the week and they gave me the hours. But no more.)

Have I missed something or is that the way it is now at all stores? Please comment on this.

I did the same thing making it a point to use up all my personal hours before I left. HR clerical worked very good with me so I could get every .25 of an hour I had coming to me before I found another job.

good point flonomo, any time I'm paranoid I might be getting fired, I use max self service and request to supplement my weekly hours with whatever personal hours I may have, since you don't get those payed out to you upon termination. But yeah, you can always request to use vacation hours up to average hours. I've been granted every request I have made, and I don't see why they would turn it down, since they have to pay you those hours no matter what.

Yes you can do this. During non peak times my team does it to supplement for hours they aren't getting.

EHR > Max Self Serv > Use Vac/PH > there is a button that says Up to AVG hours on one of the bottom corners.

This will put it up to your avg hours and your team leaders are required to approve them and they get kicked to HR on pay week Monday if not approved in time. Most HRS should just be approving these without question if not, that would probably fall under into some sort of integrity issue and I would take it up with your HR - ETL

any time I'm paranoid I might be getting fired, I use max self service and request to supplement my weekly hours with whatever personal hours I may have, since you don't get those payed out to you upon termination. .
that is funny. cause it seems to becoming more of a factor any more. how many times in a year, do you feel like that too?

Yes you can do this. During non peak times my team does it to supplement for hours they aren't getting.

EHR > Max Self Serv > Use Vac/PH > there is a button that says Up to AVG hours on one of the bottom corners.

This will put it up to your avg hours and your team leaders are required to approve them and they get kicked to HR on pay week Monday if not approved in time. Most HRS should just be approving these without question if not, that would probably fall under into some sort of integrity issue and I would take it up with your HR - ETL

I have done this in the past and have been denied by my HR Clerical. Or should I say the HR Clerical who thinks she is the STL! She told me that the store does not allow you to use any vacation/personal hours unless they have been requested at least two weeks in advance and approved (by her, of course). She said that if I had any questions I should ask the STL about it. By the way, my STL is the biggest a**hole I have ever worked for in my 33+ years in retail.

Wow I'm sorry. My HR clerical would even put in hours for me from weeks I had previously worked. If you check on max when requesting hours it allows you to go to previous weeks not just weeks in the future. They used to put in my 5 minutes I started early every morning since I had to circle the buiding before coming in once we got notified every senior team lead or key holder had to get paid for hours they couldn't punch in, whether coming or going. I can't tell you how many hours I lost from having to stand at the door to let in a late tm before I could punch in myself.

How are you supposed to know in advance if you won't use up to your average hours? That just isn't right.

if you are not getting the 'up to the average' hours approved ANYTIME you ask, there is a problem with your HR clerical, or ETL-HR.
It's yours to use as you wish. The vac/ph hours do not need to be approved, ever.

this is completely wrong, you can use them up to your average hours no matter what.
O.K. I have been with the company for 12 years. I have opened 5 new stores and worked at two other existing stores. At every other store, except the one I am at now, you could use your accumulated Vacation/Personal Hours to make up the difference if you were scheduled less than your average hours. For example, if you were scheduled 32 hours and you averaged 36, you could request 4 vacation hours to make up the difference. At my current store, we can't do this.

In the past all I had to do is tell my HR Clerical that I wanted vacation hours for the week that I was under my average hours and she would key them in--no questions asked. I know we have to do this on the eHR kiosk now, but unless I actually requested a day off for the week in question, I was told that I can't use my accumulated hours. (I also used to use them if I was sick and had to call off a day during the week and they gave me the hours. But no more.)

Have I missed something or is that the way it is now at all stores? Please comment on this.

if Target was unionized you wouldn't have to worry about using your PTO in case of threat of being fired!
good point flonomo, any time I'm paranoid I might be getting fired, I use max self service and request to supplement my weekly hours with whatever personal hours I may have, since you don't get those payed out to you upon termination. But yeah, you can always request to use vacation hours up to average hours. I've been granted every request I have made, and I don't see why they would turn it down, since they have to pay you those hours no matter what.

correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not a decision a store can make on their own. I don't know who you would call to get it taken care of though. if your the only one trying to do it, you will stick out like a sore thumb if you call integrity. You look on workbench for best practice and print it out and give it to your HR, and tell them to get bent.

they are the ones that changed to this type of rule maybe 5? years ago. It used to be you could fill to 40 any week you wanted, didn't matter what your average was.

We use our vay-cay like that at our store because they're STILL cutting hrs & we peons seldom take a REAL vacation.
Sounds like your HR is an entitlement queen.

We've always been able to use our vacation and/or personal hrs to bring our hrs up to average. We can also use them for when we call off since we don't have sick days in this state.

It is best practice, the person in question is completely and totally wrong. There is a reason the button exists which adds vacation/PH hours to your week up to your avg. hours.

Yeah I do this every January when my hours get cut to the bone and cannot supplement with swapshifts. I have a decent bank of vaca hours because I rarely use them and I work like crazy during peak. My personal hours though are starting to dwindle though. I did get sick once this year and I was using a lot out of the personal time as a supplement. I was just talking to a TM that wasn't super familiar with using vaca hours, she didn't know that she could use them like that.

Sounds like your HR is being an hrs nazi. You definitely CAN use them like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back