Archived Vent sesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been with target now 2 years and was told I was going to start developing to become a TL, well that was a year ago. So here I am now transferring to a new store that has very red metrics. My passion is logistics and my goal is to be a TL or higher in logistics.

I made the transition to flow and backroom and have gotten numerous compliments on how well I've ran both. I'm trained on everything, I'm basically a TL without the title.

Thoughts or tips for me to not be so stressed?

<< Been with Target for 8 years.
Do not believe anything they say. A year ago and nothing has happened? Time to move on. If this retail job stresses you out, as it does me...it's just not worth it. Find somewhere else to go where they will appreciate you.
Good luck.

Yeah I have to agree. If you were going to be a TL, you would already be one. Target picks and chooses who it wants to be TLs, ETLs, and Sr. TLs. If you don't fit their mold or model, you are shit out of luck. It sucks but it's cutthroat. It shouldn't be but it is.

Well I think it hadn't happened yet because I went back to school this past year and went on an LOA to go finish my degree.

It's the carrot game.
Some of the crappy ETLs and STLs use it to run their good TMs out as far as they can.
Give them as much responsibility as possible, keep them hoping for the promotion but never give it to them.
This is generally used on people who are, what's the best term, problematic.
People who hang out on this board, people who won't drink the Kool-Aid, people who challenge the system too often, or who show too much independent spirit.
For that matter, people the bosses just don't like.

I hope this isn't the case for you.
It could be with the AE14 that there just aren't any positions to move you into and with Targets usual awesome job of communication they haven't bothered to let you know.

When they throw that develop to be a TL idea in front of you, and its been more than 6 months since they last discussed it, you need to realize that you are not a priority or that they lied to motivate to get what they wanted.

Positive experience:
I had one ETL-GS that was very proactive in training me to become a GSTL/FATL. Within a week, I was shadowing him and given projects/extra duties. I just had other opportunities come up right after that required me taking a second job and transfer half way across the country.

Negative experiences:
I moved back to one of my former stores when a large number TL openings were posted. I was highly praised already by a number of my old TLs already, and was promised an interview when I transferred back. NOPE!! They said I to re-prove myself to the all new STL and Exec staff that took over. And during that time, the ethics of promoting from within were thrown out the window.

Yet, I was told that I would be training in the backroom and I just needed to get with the ETL-Log at some point. I would attempt to find the ETL-Log every week to discuss the opportunity...and for 6 months he said, "I don't have time to discuss it." Then he left the store.

I asked the ETL-HL and ETL-HR to get me cross trained out of FA and onto the salesfloor. And for 2 years, I got "We can't afford to move you from Food Ave just yet."

The real fact is...if you don't play store politics, buddy up to your Execs and TLs and kiss their asses, screw over your fellow TMs, and do whatever your told to do (even if its against policy), you will not be promoted.

Last edited:
don't believe anything they say. most TLs are accomplished liars and a good chunk get their position through weird practices I.E. drinking the kool aid or having steamy nights with superiors. don't give them the satisfaction of breaking you, keep on them, they will cave eventually. if that fails I suggest checking the thread Go out with a Bang for some good ideas on how to raise hell.

It's the carrot game.
Some of the crappy ETLs and STLs use it to run their good TMs out as far as they can.
Give them as much responsibility as possible, keep them hoping for the promotion but never give it to them.
This is generally used on people who are, what's the best term, problematic.
People who hang out on this board, people who won't drink the Kool-Aid, people who challenge the system too often, or who show too much independent spirit.
For that matter, people the bosses just don't like.

I hope this isn't the case for you.
It could be with the AE14 that there just aren't any positions to move you into and with Targets usual awesome job of communication they haven't bothered to let you know.
<<<Yup, that's me...Too much independent spirit! We have several entrepreneurs in my family going back to both of my grandfathers. I really should be working for myself, not Target for 8 freakin years.
People who hang out on this board (I need a place to vent!),
people who won't drink the Kool-Aid (I never could kiss butts),
people who challenge the system too often (I admit I do. I think Target has stupid practices that just are in place to try and make everything look good, but in reality is not), or
who show too much independent spirit. (Yup!!)
For that matter, people the bosses just don't like. (Soooo true when you don't kiss butt and roll with whatever bullcrap they throw at you!) Screw 'em

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back