Archived venting time

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so just got through my second month at target i did this learning some thing test or something. with the etl and after she says you are doing a good job only to tell me i have a bad attitude.and she put it in the email at the end of night. and the one lod that loves me this morning told me rumor says you have in attitude.but i heard by the end of the day i have in attitude about my role as cart pusher.next time i go in i am going to not talk to anyone i still have 30 days of my 90 days left.how do you guys get through the day help wanted

If you don't want to seem like you have a bad attitude, not talking to people won't help. If you want to improve people's perception of you, fake it until you make it. Me, personally, I'd do my best to appear friendly. I'm an introvert, so it's a challenge to appear to be outgoing. I start by saying good morning to everyone I interact with, ask them how they're doing, and grin. Smiles go a long way.

Exactly. Fake it like you're life depends on it. I'm pretty much an introvert also. I just smile at people and say Hi or Good Morning. Don't be overly fake sounding though. People can tell when you're trying TOO hard. lol
Also, some people are really obtuse and will think you have a bad attitude when in reality you are just having a bad day in general.

As hard as it may be to believe a smile can go a long way towards making people think you have a good attitude.
Saying hello like folks have suggested also is helpful.
This is going to sound odd but pay attention to how your voice sounds.

When you finish a sentence do you end it with a up beat or a down beat, by this I mean literally does your voice go up or down?
If you make your voice go up, people will think you are up and have a positive attitude.
Not kidding, it's true.

Also when people ask you to do things, how do you respond?
"Okay" isn't going to get you as much recognition as "I'll take care of that right now."
All of this sounds a bit silly I know but...

It's part of the psychology of letting people see on the outside what you have on the inside.
Some people can do it naturally, the rest of us have to fiddle around with what's up front until people see us right.

Last edited:
As hard as it may be to believe a smile can go a long way towards making people think you have a good attitude.
Saying hello like folks have suggested also is helpful.
This is going to sound odd but pay attention to how your voice sounds.

When you finish a sentence do you end it with a up beat or a down beat, by this I mean literally does your voice go up or down?
If you make your voice go up, people will think you are up and have a positive attitude.
Not kidding, it's true.

Also when people ask you to do things, how do you respond?
"Okay" isn't going to get you as much recognition as "I'll take care of that right now."
All of this sounds a bit silly I know but...

It's part of the psychology of letting people see on the outside what you have on the inside.
Some people can do it naturally, the rest of us have to fiddle around with what's up front until people see us right.

I've learned this immensely.. I am just a PA, but I have been told by my GroupTL "that he wants to make every Pfresh like mine" (I set mine totally not to planogram after plano set it ;p) the STL "I am the smartest person in the store" and by my direct ETL that I am the hardest working person he has ever known, and he respects me immensely for it, but my communication is terrible and that is why I am not on the TL bench (this all happened within the last 6 months, talk about mixed messages).

As a PA I have realized that nobody gives a shit if you go to them telling them their is a problem... they seem to have no idea what this concept of "problem" may be. As a PA working with food, which if prepared, uncarefully may actually kill somebody, I feel it is my job to let somebody know if their is a "problem" as I feel as if I am and the first defense...

My offense being that I would tell people about a problem without having solved that problem already..wtf.... even though I said the problem was not having enough help to make sure that this problem never actually became a "problem".

This coming after I have given roughly 6 ideas to my TL that could potentially fix that problem.

Last edited:
I've learned this immensely.. I am just a PA, but I have been told by my GroupTL "that he wants to make every Pfresh like mine" (I set mine totally not to planogram after plano set it ;p) the STL "I am the smartest person in the store" and by my direct ETL that I am the hardest working person he has ever known, and he respects me immensely for it, but my communication is terrible and that is why I am not on the TL bench (this all happened within the last 6 months, talk about mixed messages).

As a PA I have realized that nobody gives a shit if you go to them telling them their is a problem... they seem to have no idea what this concept of "problem" may be. As a PA working with food, which if prepared, uncarefully may actually kill somebody, I feel it is my job to let somebody know if their is a "problem" as I feel as if I am and the first defense...

My offense being that I would tell people about a problem without having solved that problem already..wtf.... even though I said the problem was not having enough help to make sure that this problem never actually became a "problem".

This coming after I have given roughly 6 ideas to my TL that could potentially fix that problem.
Lol, so true. I normally have btw chats with my tl. "Btw this wasn't done, it's taken care of now" "btw opening old man fluffed stuff but didn't fill it to capacity, I stuffed pfresh like a thanksgiving turkey"
Interviews are about s.t.a.r. situation, task, action, result. And they are looking for the same pattern from a pa not just what happened and asking what you should do. Only exception is if it's so bad I'll need help-like pushing four trolleys of milk in a closing shift.

Definitely say hi to every tm you pass. It's the basic level of kool aid drinking. A smile to go with it is also welcome. Especially those outside your regular work center and every tl.

I had a tl give me crap before my ninety days, including the veiled threat that I was still under my ninety and they didn't have to keep me...that was four years ago and she is no longer with spot.

I like your advice of giving a smile to every team member... you never know who may end up in your department. We had a new gsa who refused to smile or acknowledge anyone except her direct superiors... time came around she wanted out of the front lanes and into the produce department. Why would I want anyone with a bad attitude in my department? She may not have had a bad attitude, but she never smiled or acknowledged me when I acknowledged her... so of course I said, "no". A little smile can go a long way.

ok so just got through my second month at target i did this learning some thing test or something. with the etl and after she says you are doing a good job only to tell me i have a bad attitude.and she put it in the email at the end of night. and the one lod that loves me this morning told me rumor says you have in attitude.but i heard by the end of the day i have in attitude about my role as cart pusher.next time i go in i am going to not talk to anyone i still have 30 days of my 90 days left.how do you guys get through the day help wanted

Around this time last year, I was tabbed as someone with a 'bad attitude'. We got a new TL a couple months later and she immediately took a liking to me and took me under her wing and basically told me that, if I wanted to have a career at Target, I'd need to shape up... ya know, be a friend to every TM in the store, smile regularly, do what the ETLs need me to do and just enjoy coming to work. And that's what I did. I followed every last word she said and it has really paid off. Since she's come to our store, I've been promoted, gotten awesome raises and an O on my review, been recognized by the district TLs for my hard work/training of other TMs, been asked by other Targets to move to their store, and basically been guaranteed a TL spot before the years out. It's paid off, honestly. I would love for you to do something similar. You just gotta be nice to everyone, treat your TMs like family and with respect. Treat guests right and do what the TLs need you to do and you will be surprised at how much better and easier your life at Target will become.

Lol, so true. I normally have btw chats with my tl. "Btw this wasn't done, it's taken care of now" "btw opening old man fluffed stuff but didn't fill it to capacity, I stuffed pfresh like a thanksgiving turkey"
Interviews are about s.t.a.r. situation, task, action, result. And they are looking for the same pattern from a pa not just what happened and asking what you should do. Only exception is if it's so bad I'll need help-like pushing four trolleys of milk in a closing shift.

Definitely say hi to every tm you pass. It's the basic level of kool aid drinking. A smile to go with it is also welcome. Especially those outside your regular work center and every tl.

I had a tl give me crap before my ninety days, including the veiled threat that I was still under my ninety and they didn't have to keep me...that was four years ago and she is no longer with spot.

I am respected by every TL, Brand TM, and TMs in the store. To the TM's and other Brand TM's I am looked at as a rock, and they usually come to me when they need to get something off their chest.

My "STAR" situation in an interview is like this...

6 months after I was promoted to PA, the Veteran PA (who trained me) and CTL both quit, within 24 hours of each other... I was scared, like anyone of a sound mind would be as I was instantly THE guy in Market..

Fast Forward 1 year later and we pushed +6% sales comp in every category in PFresh (including Freezers), and never got below a Green score in Steritech.

With results like this, you could imagine my specific Situation, task, action, result reply's would be, it is insanely hard to pick and choose which ones, however, they will all start with that damn statement.

Last edited:
thanks for the replys i did just what you said and had good night you guys and girls are always helpful thanks a bunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back