Archived VM TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going on record.....your position WILL be eliminated and you will be told you are moving to gstl, Hardlines tl, food ave tl, etc. You will have no choice where they move you. You will feel so insulted that you are "better than that", and you will quit the company.

I am worried that the PPTL position will be eliminated and VML will take over pog/pc eventually.

The store gets a lump sum of payroll. The Stl divies out the hours weekly and chooses how much she wants to bank for emergencies (blizzards, etc). The Stl can do with those hours however she pleases.

Disclaimer: Not an ETL currently, but I have seen the forecaster and helped with allocation many times.

What's really fun working at a ULV store is seeing the 2100 hours that the forecaster drops before STL changes allocation and having HL / SL each start at -50 hours (yes negative 50). So then presentation / logistics etc gets the hours taken from them just so the store can have the bare minimum of staffing.

I am worried that the PPTL position will be eliminated and VML will take over pog/pc eventually.

Ppl and vml have similar roles in that they are responsible for forms of merchandising, but the way the merchandising is done is completely different. The two are symbiotic relationships with one that focuses on implementation and the other on detail and follow-up. While I may be new to Target, this type of relationship is very familiar. There is no reason Ppl would be eliminated.

Ppl and vml have similar roles in that they are responsible for forms of merchandising, but the way the merchandising is done is completely different. The two are symbiotic relationships with one that focuses on implementation and the other on detail and follow-up. While I may be new to Target, this type of relationship is very familiar. There is no reason Ppl would be eliminated.
Corp has no rhyme or reason when they decide to eliminate a position; no method to their madness.
Such as eliminating a significant amount of tech staff while trying to roll out new devices & recovering from a massive data breach.

Corp has no rhyme or reason when they decide to eliminate a position; no method to their madness.
Such as eliminating a significant amount of tech staff while trying to roll out new devices & recovering from a massive data breach.

Look, I get it. Some of you have been at Target a while, and some of you seem to think that these issues don't happen in other businesses (small and large). Many of us have been there. You don't have to work at Target to know this, and this company is by far nowhere near as heinous as other giants in the industry. It can definitely be better, but it is nowhere near being the big bad wolf.

Yes, any position can be eliminated and any other type of position can be created. That is the point of at-will employment. There is no point in even making a response to that matter since none of us make the decisions. Some of you seem to just have nothing constructive to say at all. It is quite sad. If you are really that unhappy, you really should move on if you have been burned that badly. It doesn't help anyone, least of all yourselves.

Personally I just do my job and stay optimistic and focused on my professional career. If Target happens to be part of my long term career, wonderful, if not..I have my achievements, ethic and references to help me along to another endeavor. I'd move on and certainly not hang around on forums of previous employment behaving like a Lifetime made-for-tv-movie relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we just stop with the personal fucking attacks? Thread is titled vml. Your opinion of other members behavior is not on topic, not helpful, and hardly the professional behavior you claim to have.

I'd like to actually get pertinent information when I open the thread with new responses, not the same rehashed garbage.

The company not making its financial metrics is what is "taking away your hours."
It is no wonder that the stores are losing money.
Hmmm. Isn't Target killing the game right now compared to every other big box retailer? Just look at the quarterly reports this year. Target is actually doing very good, comparative to last year, and other retailers.

I wanna throw some good energy into this thread... :) Today was my official first day at Target (as VML) and it sounds like I'll really love this job. I have over 6 years experience in Visual at Macy's so it's really exciting be a part of a new store and a new Visual position. Compared to my experience, Target is very organized as far as job roles, on-boarding, training, etc. The STL in my store is a down to earth guy. My ETL partner comes from HQ and she's awesome. The whole store so far has been so welcoming and aRe genuinely hungry to learn abut visual. I really look forward to networking with other VML's. ;)

Some of you seem to just have nothing constructive to say at all. It is quite sad. If you are really that unhappy, you really should move on if you have been burned that badly. It doesn't help anyone, least of all yourselves.

I'm not one of those people who hasn't said anything constructive, but...

Easier said than done. The stats look good for the country's employment rates, but the stats ignore a bunch of factors. I won't get into it, but I'm only saying this because when I say that finding a job isn't that easy, people tend to bring up the improving unemployment rates. So yea, it's not easy. The only people I know at work who aren't looking elsewhere are close to retirement age so they figured they could stick it out a few more years. Personally, still around because I'm not gonna leave to go do the same job at a different store. Rather stick with the familiar evils if I'm gonna continue folding t shirts for a living.

disclaimer: this response has nothing to do with what I think about tgt or visual merchandising positions at tgt. I just get peeved when people imply that finding a job is something you can just do at the drop of a hat.

Why didn't they just get a really experienced and dedicated Plano/signing team guru to fill this position? Someone with years of target experience. Can you imagine the motivation of getting even half of the pay grade increase? Plus they have all the skills necessary and more. There are many factors that one is faced with while working at target that no college can prepare you for, it's sad but true. I remember being basically thrown into Plano, feeling great about the promotion, yet it was a struggle for months and months that I didn't see coming. We generally work 40 hours a week already, and surely there is some direction coming from corporate on task fulfillment. Hell, we have tms training our vml in different workcentres. Idk, the vml at my store hasn't introduced herself or even made an effort to with anyone. I'm still not sure what she even does because she was flexing trend run all day getting sweet pay when it's something I could knock out quick. Then leaves the flat of cardboard in the main aisle.

Hey guys sorry I haven't updated you in a while but here it goes......I made it through all my interviews and made it all the way to the DTL. It took so long to get the interview with her and I looked into the VML position so much that one day I walked into my STLs office and told her that I didn't want to take the position anymore. I know you all are probably thinking I'm crazy but with me being in school full time id have no way of being able to take this position over completely. There's conference calls all the time and the hours are all over the place when it comes to going to other stores to train. On the other hand my STL definitely surprised me and said she still wanted me somewhere in a leadership position.......soooooo now your looking at a new GSTL lol bye bye electronics.......side note.....they just hired a VML that had a degree in visual merchandising so I probably wouldn't have been able to get it anyway.

In case some of you were not aware, on workbench today they have launched the Style Team page for the VML and Brand Members. This should help some of the VMLs start to better understand their responsibilities and role in the store. It does look like some of it is still a work in progress (some of the Beauty info doesn't work) and am still waiting for direction/announcements from the Visual Merchandising Market Leaders. There is also a new inspiration page called "Awesomeshop" which is basically a Pinterest of trending items from Target...the name is quite goofy, but it can be used as a visual aid for identifying items that our guests are interested in (since reports are not always 'inspirational').

I wanna throw some good energy into this thread... :) Today was my official first day at Target (as VML) and it sounds like I'll really love this job. I have over 6 years experience in Visual at Macy's so it's really exciting be a part of a new store and a new Visual position. Compared to my experience, Target is very organized as far as job roles, on-boarding, training, etc. The STL in my store is a down to earth guy. My ETL partner comes from HQ and she's awesome. The whole store so far has been so welcoming and aRe genuinely hungry to learn abut visual. I really look forward to networking with other VML's. ;)

Congrats and welcome. It is a pretty good time to come in since the learning tools are just now launching and the VMMLs are in place. I think you will love how efficient the logistics process is and how it will complement the detail/follow-up role you will bring to the location.

Hey skyclad- i came from macys too- and i have to say I LOVE TARGET!!!I really feel like my work is appreciated people have been amazingly suppirtive and friendly- i have been learning new things everyday- and i have only been onboard for a week!loving it!!!!!!!

Hey skyclad- i came from macys too- and i have to say I LOVE TARGET!!!I really feel like my work is appreciated people have been amazingly suppirtive and friendly- i have been learning new things everyday- and i have only been onboard for a week!loving it!!!!!!!

Same thing here. While the forum on here doesn't really seem to show much support, my location has been. The TLs feel a relief, especially the SFTL and PPL. Just stay focused on doing a great job and learning the processes and bringing your own experience/outlook. Communication will no doubt be key to accomplishing what is laid out for us. :)

Was Macy's um... Not good for the VM positions? Macy's is in my vml's work history as well. I think she's also worked at VS. We all perceived Macy's as one of the better options so when we gossiped we were all like "why would she leave them? Is something wrong with her? Maybe she was fired." Lol. I only have the posts to go on but I think other than the find a job thing thought you (skyclad) sounded like a good one. So now I'm wondering if Macy's is actually awful.

I was a Macy's peon at one point and hated sales goals and card goals but that was my only issue with the company. That was years ago though.. And well I used to be into tgt too.

No- the compsny is trying to re- organize- they are closing atleast 40 stores in january- loosing ALOT of money to e commerce- and the new young millenial who does not want to pay high prices for designer brands

Was Macy's um... Not good for the VM positions? Macy's is in my vml's work history as well. I think she's also worked at VS. We all perceived Macy's as one of the better options so when we gossiped we were all like "why would she leave them? Is something wrong with her? Maybe she was fired." Lol. I only have the posts to go on but I think other than the find a job thing thought you (skyclad) sounded like a good one. So now I'm wondering if Macy's is actually awful.

I was a Macy's peon at one point and hated sales goals and card goals but that was my only issue with the company. That was years ago though.. And well I used to be into tgt too.

I started with Macy's 13 years ago and, in fact, learned everything I know about retail. Over the years, I believe that the company has lost its vision. They're disorganized and they have gotten way too into the coupon and discount thing and have trained their customer to never want to pay full price for anything! It's a shut show. I was very disappointed to have to leave after so long but they've really gotten out of control. I couldn't do it anymore.

No- the compsny is trying to re- organize- they are closing atleast 40 stores in january- loosing ALOT of money to e commerce- and the new young millenial who does not want to pay high prices for designer brands

40 stores? Source?

I started with Macy's 13 years ago and, in fact, learned everything I know about retail. Over the years, I believe that the company has lost its vision. They're disorganized and they have gotten way too into the coupon and discount thing and have trained their customer to never want to pay full price for anything! It's a shut show. I was very disappointed to have to leave after so long but they've really gotten out of control. I couldn't do it anymore.
Welcome to Target.

Welcome to Target.
While I agree that Target has a problem with what has happened over the past few years with going too cheap-cheap vs cheap-chic (which is what made it different), it isn't the same as what Macy's is going through and not what @raggamuffin is referring to.

To be honest, working at Macy's is many times over more demanding with less opportunity. Target may have coupons, but those are mostly vendor driven and do not affect the actual customer base at its core since they can be price matched by most retailers. Target operates on core essential offerings that will always be centered on affordable. Unfortunately, the company made decisions that focused too much on cheap and not chic, which did not excite their base resulting in traffic losses. The focus on heavy sales and coupons was an attempt to increase traffic, which has worked a bit, but not enough.

The issue with Macy's is that it is client-driven and focuses on specialty departments that are a bridge to contemporary luxury. Their business depends on it as do their commissioned employees. There is a huge difference between commissioned work versus hourly work and if your company is offering discounts. On top of that, they actually have to push real credit-line applications...RedCard is extremely less painful to deal with and the 'credit' piece can almost be completely ignored (a TM in my location never offers credit, only the debit option an talks about it as 'free'..she has 150 cards this month).

Target has its issues, but they aren't all the same as what some other retailers are going through.

I never worked for Macy's; however, they have actively recruited me in the past and I have relationships with people who do work there. I think it was just assumed I had also worked there by another poster. I do know much about the company, but that is because I actively pay attention to news about the industry as a whole. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back