Archived VM TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna throw some good energy into this thread... :) Today was my official first day at Target (as VML) and it sounds like I'll really love this job. I have over 6 years experience in Visual at Macy's so it's really exciting be a part of a new store and a new Visual position. Compared to my experience, Target is very organized as far as job roles, on-boarding, training, etc. The STL in my store is a down to earth guy. My ETL partner comes from HQ and she's awesome. The whole store so far has been so welcoming and aRe genuinely hungry to learn abut visual. I really look forward to networking with other VML's. ;)

Yes! I am coming from Macy's in about 2 weeks to work at Target as the new VML and I am really excited about it! I am working as a Seasonal Visual Merchandiser for about a month and 2 weeks so far and it has drained me so much. I come home tired everyday not wanting to do anything and I am a very active person who likes being productive through the day. I have had Visual experience with previous companies but I would have to say Macy's was by far the worst! It is very unorganized and cluttered everywhere at my location. It is extremely difficult having to take 10 minutes each time to move boxes and merchandise out of my way to get up and down from the dock elevator. I have bumps, bruises, and no more fingernails because of this job. I would definitely say it is more of a learning experience at Macy's than a permanent position for their company. I wouldn't want to work in a department store like Macy's ever again. I understand the hectic of the Holiday seasons approaching but when I was with Arhaus Furniture as an Intern doing Visual work it was so much easier and enjoyable. We had deadlines but we made daily goals instead of throwing everything into one day and was able to get everything done in time.

I was just hired as a VML and also worked as a merchandise lead and sign team lead at Macy's for 5 years. It was just the toughest job I've had but it taught me the most about running a store. I feel people think its a luxury retailer because of some of the items you find in various stores. Its just a traditional department store that caters to shoppers of various income levels. I have worked for different retailers at all price points and there really isn't a difference in the type of work that is done in stores especailly for employees who work in shipping, merchandising and visuals. Also what does a VML gotta do to get some love on these threads?

Empathy. Once you understand how Target works compared to other retailers (particularly how team members are screwed over year after year treated), you'll see what many of us go through.

I don't think it has anything to do with empathy at all. There has been plenty of forum dissing about the people who get the position and also the position itself, more so than the ignorant responses of an arrogant VML (these are facts btw, feel free to read all 43 pages).

In defense of some of the dissing, it comes from a good place when the "VML" (if they actually are one) is on here posting ridiculous comments claiming that internal talent isn't stylish or is somehow dumb or that they are somehow superior when that has nothing to do with the position.

On the flip side, you have comments from tenured Target team members who think any type of external 'anything' doesn't have any value, claim the role is nonsense (with no business insight into how it is, thus defeating their own claims), and have been blinded by the negative experiences they have had over the years.

Target is not unique in how they "screw" their employees. It is the same poo, just made out of different ingredients. What matters is that you like what you do and who you do it with. So far the 'supportive' and 'constructive' responses have been for actual discussions of the role and the facts, while the flaming on the threads surrounds personal details, unsubstantiated claims and ignorance on business acumen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! I am coming from Macy's in about 2 weeks to work at Target as the new VML and I am really excited about it! I am working as a Seasonal Visual Merchandiser for about a month and 2 weeks so far and it has drained me so much. I come home tired everyday not wanting to do anything and I am a very active person who likes being productive through the day. I have had Visual experience with previous companies but I would have to say Macy's was by far the worst! It is very unorganized and cluttered everywhere at my location. It is extremely difficult having to take 10 minutes each time to move boxes and merchandise out of my way to get up and down from the dock elevator. I have bumps, bruises, and no more fingernails because of this job. I would definitely say it is more of a learning experience at Macy's than a permanent position for their company. I wouldn't want to work in a department store like Macy's ever again. I understand the hectic of the Holiday seasons approaching but when I was with Arhaus Furniture as an Intern doing Visual work it was so much easier and enjoyable. We had deadlines but we made daily goals instead of throwing everything into one day and was able to get everything done in time.

I am not saying that Target work is easier or harder than Macy work for a VM, but I wouldn't expect to come in having it easier just because it is a change.

Target is pretty demanding of their team members and the VML role is new, so while there is a grace period, the work and role has high expectations and they do expect us to deliver results. The fact that we do not LOD is an example of how high their expectation is for us to complete tasks, we can't cite those segments as time away from our role. STLs would multi-task their LOD and task duties, but we do not have to do that..so expect to work hard and non-stop. Personally I am constantly moving, sweating, engaging, meeting, planning and so much more. I never feel I have enough time in the day to do everything. So prioritizing and planning are key as is training so you can begin to delegate.

Feel free to PM me and I will be glad to share routines and expectations that are placed on the role currently and what is expected once the VML role is fully acclimated into Target. (ie: Q1 2016)

On cheap chic vs just cheap, I think that's why f21 has been doing so well. I remembered reading an article about it so I went to my trusty Google machine. Found a piece on Forbes that specifically named target as a potential competitor for "fast fashion." Then at the end they told Macy's to take note from target and f21. So between that little article and the responses here, my question is answered. Initially I didn't expect anyone with experience to apply because my view of tgt as a tm is that target is... Trash. But I was only thinking of target as far as tm treatment. I wasn't thinking about the perception of target from outsiders, and I obviously had no clue about how other companies may have been pushing people away. But I get it now. Green grass.

Source: Fast Fashion Has Completely Disrupted Apparel Retail

I am not saying that Target work is easier or harder than Macy work for a VM, but I wouldn't expect to come in having it easier just because it is a change.

Target is pretty demanding of their team members and the VML role is new, so while there is a grace period, the work and role has high expectations and they do expect us to deliver results. The fact that we do not LOD is an example of how high their expectation is for us to complete tasks, we can't cite those segments as time away from our role. STLs would multi-task their LOD and task duties, but we do not have to do that..so expect to work hard and non-stop. Personally I am constantly moving, sweating, engaging, meeting, planning and so much more. I never feel I have enough time in the day to do everything. So prioritizing and planning are key as is training so you can begin to delegate.

Feel free to PM me and I will be glad to share routines and expectations that are placed on the role currently and what is expected once the VML role is fully acclimated into Target. (ie: Q1 2016)

I am not saying going to work for Target will be easier. I am just stating my opinion working with Macy's in Visual compared to other places I have worked in Visual. I am a hardworker and don't mind working on challenging and physically demanding tasks. I wouldn't be in this career field if I wasn't up to the demands of this position. From my sister and friend working at Target, they really enjoy the atmosphere, how organized it is, and the benefits of the company. How many years of experience do you have an Visual to share great advice, and which companies have you worked for in Visual? Would love to hear comparisons.

So far- and ive only been there a week and a half as a vml to the company- they keep saying they wish they could " clone" me and that they are telling me that even thoughbthis is a period where they should be training me- it turns out they are thanking me for training them on visual- and its great to come on to work everyday and see people smiling- instead of complaining

So i decided against being a vmtm. Once information was fed to me stating our VML at our store was only dressing mannequins and trend runs/seasonal and they would be utilizing me for a shoe/jewelry brand position i politely told them to bug off and keep me in Pricing.

The VML NEEDS to take over the Visual Adjacencies in softlines. This needs to be a priority. Not some stupid candy/decorations we cram in the back of the store seasonally. And one aisle of sometimes nice but often overpriced stuff that we call a "trend run".

My VML was told she will be in Hardlines 80% of the time and dressing the rest. Are you serious? What a waste of payroll. With the amount you are paying them just stick someone who PTMs really well back there and add an additional softlines brand tm. Also she will not have ANY leadership to any tm. She is a TL but cannot delegate even to brand TMs. What is my store smoking? Id rather stay in pricing getting my 40 hours and cuss out my softlines TL weekly for the trash racks she creates and call it a day. I made 3 racks of "backstock" the other day magically fit on the floor and beautifully merchandised i might add. Her racks are literally throwing up on the floor and make no sense.

Our VML started this week and is still in training to learn the ins and outs of Target. I'm a brand TM and was told I would still be doing the adjacency and POGs in SL. So far, the VML will only be doing the mannequins and PTM. The brand TM's will not fall under her. She is expected to help out on the salesfloor as well. I saw her backup cashier, push batches, and work reshop. So far, it seems like a waste of money, but maybe she will be put to more use once she's more comfortable with the store. She seems very nice, but told us she's only worked with clothing and doesn't feel 100% confident about her role in hardlines.

That being said, she seems super nice and asked a ton of questions (which I really like about new TMs).

Our VML started this week and is still in training to learn the ins and outs of Target. I'm a brand TM and was told I would still be doing the adjacency and POGs in SL. So far, the VML will only be doing the mannequins and PTM. The brand TM's will not fall under her. She is expected to help out on the salesfloor as well. I saw her backup cashier, push batches, and work reshop. So far, it seems like a waste of money, but maybe she will be put to more use once she's more comfortable with the store. She seems very nice, but told us she's only worked with clothing and doesn't feel 100% confident about her role in hardlines.

That being said, she seems super nice and asked a ton of questions (which I really like about new TMs).

Softlines is the hard part. If she has that down she will do fine in hardlines. All that's expected in hardlines is to fill outs on trend areas and PTM when it goes MPG. I just went online and printed the core roles earlier because I was curious and upset about the softlines part. I see my VML finishing hardlines early and helping set adjacencies.

Last edited:
I do some hardlines endcaps- but i got rhe ACTUAL SCOOP from my vmml folks! Vml needsbto focus most on softlines and readt to wear zones- these zones have the HIGHEST. Profit margains in the store- she told me it is one of the CORE REASONS the position was implemented for-

The VML will be overseeing the brand tms, this is a corporate directive. So while it isn't currently happening in your location while the VML trains, it is expected of them when they are settled. They do have primary responsibilities over mannequins, trend, home focals and standards training in the store. Secondary responsibility is support with seasonal and the VAs. While you might not have this occurring at the moment (understandable since the VM is new), it will be expected of your store and will happen. The role is a lot larger than most people realize and only a VML that is actually doing their research, training and communication would know this. You can't base the role off of how your own leadership is handling (mishandling) the position so far. The role will most likely feel larger in low volume locations since flexing and improvisation are more commonplace as well as the 'empty fixture' syndrome plaguing Target.

The biggest problem is that they didn't hire/train the Visual Merchandising Market Leaders earlier, who then should have done the inform training per district with ETLs so they actually knew what they were doing. The way it has been handled so far is that the hiring was done with a general idea of what the company/store needed, then the specifics trickled in later. The people dealing with the most frustration so far are the actual VMLs who can be on the right path or a very misguided one depending on the capability of their ETL team.

While my store has great standards- im very very fortunate- have any of you vmls noticed how some of the stores are waaaayyyy off on standards?ie triple racks running together- mo rack gridding- huge differentiation on rack heights- un sreamed items on manikans etc?

I do some hardlines endcaps- but i got rhe ACTUAL SCOOP from my vmml folks! Vml needsbto focus most on softlines and readt to wear zones- these zones have the HIGHEST. Profit margains in the store- she told me it is one of the CORE REASONS the position was implemented for-

Thats great. I only wish my store saw it this way.

While my store has great standards- im very very fortunate- have any of you vmls noticed how some of the stores are waaaayyyy off on standards?ie triple racks running together- mo rack gridding- huge differentiation on rack heights- un sreamed items on manikans etc?

My store had this issue, but we have been working to keep an eye out for these details. I couldn't do it all on my own, so that is why it is important to train and share info with the team members. They have been essential in getting our store to different vm standard goals each week. This type of 'detail' should have always been followed, but as most people can attest, it is hard to pay attention to the details when you are barely meeting minimum standards and the TL teams are stretched thin.

Rack gridding is low on the totem pole of duties to be done. If the VA isn't set yet and there's 22 POGS DUE, nobody is going to do a rack alignment. Except the VML that is.

Also when guests try and undress the mannequins themself and they are pulling a Janet Jackson nipple slip, the last thing you think to do is grab the steamer. You just want to get it covered.

Also when guests try and undress the mannequins themself and they are pulling a Janet Jackson nipple slip, the last thing you think to do is grab the steamer. You just want to get it covered.

Yep.

This is also one of the responsibilities of the VML, to check all mannequin runs on Mondays and either Thu/Fri. One of the tasks is to make sure that anything the mannequins are wearing are not only VA (or alternate/style guide), but that they are also commercially viable inventory wise. If there is only 1 or 2 of that shirt left in that size...it needs to be flexed out for something with more inventory to prevent these type of issues.

Of course, this (and *many* other items) isn't something the stores had time for before the new role.

Retail is detail. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back