Archived Vmtl/Vm's: Do You Dress Nicer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our VML dresses nice, but he always has. The thing I like is that he works really hard. He will run around, even offering to back-up cashier and work Starbucks to keep the team on the sales floor first to service guests. He has decades of merchandising experience and just as much of that time has been spent in a leadership role, so my store got very lucky. I've heard of other stores having had several VMLs that never work out.

Very lucky, indeed! He sounds like a great asset to your store. Our VM resists all the cash registers, any & all ladders (and WAV- our spotlights look awful because she doesn't adjust them) and she refuses to even use a box cutter. She likes her work handed to her on a silver platter while we all bow down in thanks for what she thinks we couldn't possibly do ourselves.

But she does dress kind of nice, lol.

If your store "expects" the softness team to dress the part, are they chipping in on clothing? "Personal Brand"? Ha ha ha! Our VML looks like a $1 streetwalker, Sure she has makeup on, I think she applies it with a putty knife. Her low cut way too tight shirts look would have gotten you sent home to change previously. The kicker are her heels. You work in a discount retail store. Sure you can and should look your best. However there is a big difference in what clothing some people can afford to "dress the part" and maintaining a "personal brand. What your store is telling you is that if you don't fit into a certain look you are unable to sell cheap clothing made in a different country. Clean wrinkle free red and khaki and good personal grooming/hygiene is the expectation. VMLs are not anymore important than anyone else in the store. I will not add to the inflated ego mine has.
First of all, I never said the VMLs were more important than anyone in the store.

Secondly, yes. My store does help provide clothing for team members.

First of all, I never said the VMLs were more important than anyone in the store.

Secondly, yes. My store does help provide clothing for team members.

I don't think @tellmeaboutatime necessarily meant you were saying VMs are more important; it's more a general vibe a lot of VMs give off to other TMs, whether intentional or not. It rubs a lot of us the wrong way.

I don't think @tellmeaboutatime necessarily meant you were saying VMs are more important; it's more a general vibe a lot of VMs give off to other TMs, whether intentional or not. It rubs a lot of us the wrong way.
Exactly. I do not like the fact that Leaders are telling a certain group of team members they need to "look a certain way". ALL team members are expected to wear clean red and khaki and use basic hygiene. If a store is helping team members, ALL team members pay for their clothing kudos to them. If they are instead only helping a portion, shame on them. My VML thinks she is more important than any other team member in the building. Fun fact- no one is more important than any other team member in the building. Try to go without a cart attendant for a few days or a receiving team member for a few days. The vibe that many VMLs have is thinking they are the "Savior" is laughable and insulting to the other hundred in your building stocking the merchandise that they are arranging.

She used to. She does a lot more in hardlines now though so I think that has had an effect on her clothing choices. She’s been wearing poorly fitting saggy khakis and oversized t shirts lately... with dad sneakers. So more comfortable, functional clothing as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back