Waiving attendance policy still a thing? Not sure if i should call in

Calling in sick IS accountable time now.
You must call in THREE days minimum, and you MUST go to a doctor and get checked out (they have paperwork for you to fill out) for it to be waived.
You can also just get tested for Covid and skip the doctor part.
If you really are feeling sick then just get the Covid test. Even if its negative they require you to quarantine 2 weeks (paid). Just give symptoms and say that you were told you were exposed to someone who tested positive through work.

Not sure if things are different for DCs vs stores. My store is still essentially ignoring absences if anyone says "sick" as their reason. Other absences are fair game for attendance conversations.

Also if someone comes in sneezing/coughing or seem sick at all, leaders strongly suggest the team member go home.

We even had multiple team members say they don't feel safe at work if [sick tm] is at work and to the point where the concerned tm might need to go home themselves.

Don't go to work sick. We are in the middle of a freaking pandemic. Why do people still keep questioning this? DO NOT GO TO WORK SICK.
Why? Because people gotta eat. Because the policy is see a doctor before return, but paying for a doctor without insurance can be a week's wages.

Got any solutions, other than wishful thinking that will never happen, for bucking the US business expectation of attendance at all cost or no job -and- the deplorable lack of resources for being able to afford a doctor?

I’m guessing you’re in a state that doesn’t require paid sick leave. We need a national paid sick leave law now more than ever, people shouldn’t have to choose between going to work sick and not being able to afford groceries or their rent payment.

Why? Because people gotta eat. Because the policy is see a doctor before return, but paying for a doctor without insurance can be a week's wages.

Got any solutions, other than wishful thinking that will never happen, for bucking the US business expectation of attendance at all cost or no job -and- the deplorable lack of resources for being able to afford a doctor?
Why? Because we are in the middle of a pandemic and anyone experiencing any flu-like symptoms should stay home, which has been the guidance from the beginning and hasn't changed. You should not risk exposing others to your illness. Pretty straightforward.

See if you can get a free Covid test. I did one at a drive through CVS pickup window. Depending on your state results can take 2-7 days to get back.

Why? Because we are in the middle of a pandemic and anyone experiencing any flu-like symptoms should stay home, which has been the guidance from the beginning and hasn't changed. You should not risk exposing others to your illness. Pretty straightforward.
So watch your kids get thin because you can't afford food. Live in a tent with your kids because you got evicted.

Don't you have any feeling of wrongness in your soul that you would decide thats the better choice for a family?

Not sure if things are different for DCs vs stores.
My DC is hiring 300 people in the next two months or so. So yes it is very different 😅 they are angle shooting every single thing they can't to prevent people from getting off without repercussion for calling out at this point.
We are weeks behind where we should be.
The guidance in fact has changed. If you have flu like symptoms staying home is not enough. You must see a doctor and have a provided form (they send it in email) filled out by a medical doctor. That or you must take a 2 week personal unpaid LOA. Or get tested for Covid. We are full time employees at the DC so expectations for attendance are higher.
It is totally possible to call out for being sick. They just make it as punishing as possible to prevent people from doing it. Shitty? Yes. But thats life when we have deadlines to meet!

So watch your kids get thin because you can't afford food. Live in a tent with your kids because you got evicted.

Don't you have any feeling of wrongness in your soul that you would decide thats the better choice for a family?
What I feel is wrong in my soul is spreading a potentially deadly disease.

So the lives and welfare of children are worth nothing to you. The lives and welfare of people who are less than a paycheck away from homelessness are worth nothing to you.

There's many ways to die. There's many ways for one's health to be destroyed. Life is a balancing act. You can't say damn it all to hell and subject people to other kinds of hellish lives and deaths. Find a way for people to be paid to be sick without punishment, sure I'll agree. Until then, which is probably not in my lifetime, I can't blame people who think feeding their kids is more important.

Last edited:
My DC is hiring 300 people in the next two months or so. So yes it is very different 😅 they are angle shooting every single thing they can't to prevent people from getting off without repercussion for calling out at this point.
We are weeks behind where we should be.

The guidance in fact has changed. If you have flu like symptoms staying home is not enough. You must see a doctor and have a provided form (they send it in email) filled out by a medical doctor. That or you must take a 2 week personal unpaid LOA. Or get tested for Covid. We are full time employees at the DC so expectations for attendance are higher.
It is totally possible to call out for being sick. They just make it as punishing as possible to prevent people from doing it. Shitty? Yes. But thats life when we have deadlines to meet!
We were told all of that from the beginning - contact your doctor, quarantine, etc. But the first step is to STAY HOME.

So the lives and welfare of children are worth nothing to you. The lives and welfare of people who are less than a paycheck away from homelessness are worth nothing to you.

There's many ways to die. There's many ways for one's health to be destroyed. Life is a balancing act. You can't say damn it all to hell and subject people to other kids of hellish lives and deaths. Find a way for people to be paid to be sick without punishment, sure I'll agree. Until then, which is probably not in my lifetime, I can't blame people who think feeding their kids is more important.
My store isn't punishing anyone for calling out. I wish they would, in fact, because there are a few who have been abusing it forever, way before the 'rona. In fact, the pandemic has probably saved them because they are still calling out for nonsense with no repercussions. Same at the grocery distribution center where my husband works. Constant callouts, no repercussions.

If someone is a hard worker with a good reputation and good attendance record, calling out when they are really sick should not be an issue. This has been the case everywhere I've worked, at least.

My store isn't punishing anyone for calling out. I wish they would, in fact, because there are a few who have been abusing it forever, way before the 'rona. In fact, the pandemic has probably saved them because they are still calling out for nonsense with no repercussions. Same at the grocery distribution center where my husband works. Constant callouts, no repercussions.

If someone is a hard worker with a good reputation and good attendance record, calling out when they are really sick should not be an issue. This has been the case everywhere I've worked, at least.
You've never worked at the DC! Haha. Im telling you, they are going hard. You call out twice and you automatically receive an email telling you if you do not return you forfeit your job. No I am not joking.

Yes from a practical perspective "obviously go to the doctor". But financial issues aside, the problem is that initially it genuinely was "call in with flu like symptoms and you are good". Then they changed the rules and did not announce it and used that to fire a bunch of people they just wanted gone in general.

It is easy to tell others to stay home when sick but when you risk your job to call out for what genuinely seems like the seasonal allergies you always have, which a doctor will defiantly not sign off on being corvid-like (guys have tried) you then have to decide between 2 weeks no pay, or take some allergy pills and go to work.

Also just to point it out. Hmmm and there's not that nice a way to out this. Most DC warehouse workers aren't such scaredy cats 😁 at the end of the day the death rate is less than that of the common flu.

You've never worked at the DC! Haha. Im telling you, they are going hard. You call out twice and you automatically receive an email telling you if you do not return you forfeit your job. No I am not joking.

Yes from a practical perspective "obviously go to the doctor". But financial issues aside, the problem is that initially it genuinely was "call in with flu like symptoms and you are good". Then they changed the rules and did not announce it and used that to fire a bunch of people they just wanted gone in general.

It is easy to tell others to stay home when sick but when you risk your job to call out for what genuinely seems like the seasonal allergies you always have, which a doctor will defiantly not sign off on being corvid-like (guys have tried) you then have to decide between 2 weeks no pay, or take some allergy pills and go to work.

Also just to point it out. Hmmm and there's not that nice a way to out this. Most DC warehouse workers aren't such scaredy cats 😁 at the end of the day the death rate is less than that of the common flu.
Definitely not less than the flu: According to the CDC's data, an estimated 34,200 people died from the flu during the five months of the 2018-2019 flu season.
In the five months since the first COVID-19 case in the United States, 120,271 people have died. That’s a 252% difference.

Sorry that your DC sucks. I've been having allergy symptoms too - I'm not saying that if you are 99.99% sure you are having an allergy issue that you should 100% stay home. But if there's any doubt about what's going on, best to be sure before infecting others. I know finding a job is not easy even in the best of times, but if I worked for bosses that were demanding that I get my ass to work when it was possible I was carrying a deadly disease, I would be rethinking my life choices.

Last edited:
Rethinking life's choices is wise in that case. Doing it on a dime without a future job lined up, that's stupid.

And yeah, life's stacked against workers. Not only are there no labor laws about mandated sick time and sick pay, but COVID-19 specific the Republicans are trying to get in place a bill that lets businesses out of maintaining a safe work place (they just have to try, they can fail) and then can turn around and sue workers for demanding a safe work place.

On top of no guarantee of being able to call out sick, a lot of people don't have health insurance. It's expensive as crap. So if you don't have it and your employer requires a doctor's note to come back to work, well that's a hell of a choice. Call out sick and then spend a couple hundred dollars you likely don't have just to go back to work. Stay at work, no matter how bad you feel. Call out sick, knowing you can't afford a doctor's note so you won't be allowed back - ever.

I've been waiting for decades for universal health care. When COVID-19 happened I knew that it was a juggernaut and I thought the silver lining to the deaths and damage to health and job loss=insurance loss would be that all people would see there needs to be a health care safety net. Well, that silver lining is even darker than the deaths and damage, because people are even more firmly entrenched that health care is something that an individual should succeed or fail in attaining on their own, not a social need. It's obvious now that it's not going to happen in my lifetime and I figure there's about 5 decades of that left.

So yeah, people right now know there's more unemployed desperate people than there are jobs, it's going to be that way for a long time, so if you lose the one you have you're screwed. People know that they have to do what they must to take care of their families, even if it's something they normally wouldn't do. People are being forced into no win decisions, wrong no matter what you do, because it's your family's health and safety and keeping just the basics vs. sacrificing to help the world. It's the Kobayashi Maru.

I am not aware of that guidance. Sounds new to me or I wasnt probably there when they mentioned that new guidance. People I worked with have called in sick for the past week but they get back after a day or two. Probably not “flu type of sick” maybe that’s shy they were able to get back not having to do any extra precaution.

Went to work.

Asked OM if they wanted me to stay and didn't seem to care that my entire body aches and throats sore and feel like crap. They need everybody. Good thing I stayed to cause being as behind as we are its more important we all sweep 5 aisles.

So here I sit in a packed breakroom with no masks on anybody.

Targets really concerned about tm safety it seams
Ain't any other way to say it - that shit's fucked up!

Went to work.

Asked OM if they wanted me to stay and didn't seem to care that my entire body aches and throats sore and feel like crap. They need everybody. Good thing I stayed to cause being as behind as we are its more important we all sweep 5 aisles.

So here I sit in a packed breakroom with no masks on anybody.

Targets really concerned about tm safety it seams
Thanks for the update. Are you under 90 days?

Back