Archived Walkie usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is a vent.

Why WHY! Do TMs say "-TMs name- go to 3" and not confirm that TM heard them or that 3 is available for conversation?

Then all of us other TMs have to hear the game of tag both play blocking channel 1, while trying to get the other on a different channel. People, please confirm that the person you need to talk to has a walkie, can hear you and the channel you want to go to is clear.

This always annoys me too. If I need someone to go to 3, I first say "Call for TM Bob" and wait for Bob to reply before saying "Hey can you switch to 3?". And if someone asks me to go to 3, I will usually say "Switching" or "going to 3".

I always state their name first then ask them to go to 2 or 3. Basically the norm for everyone at our store.

And don't get me started on everyone trying to talk on channel 1 at once, or over top of target notification lady.

This always annoys me too. If I need someone to go to 3, I first say "Call for TM Bob" and wait for Bob to reply before saying "Hey can you switch to 3?". And if someone asks me to go to 3, I will usually say "Switching" or "going to 3".
Yep, most of us check to be sure the person is listening before we ask them to switch. And almost all of us say "switching." We have one ETL that doesn't confirm people are listening before she switches, and it's annoying.

Also annoying...don't ask people to switch to two! That's the channel for back room.

TM A: "LOD, please go to 3."
LOD: "LOD here."
Wait for it.
LOD: "Go for LOD."
TM B: "I think TM A is on 3."
Wait for it.
TM A: "LOD please."
TM B: "They're on 3."
Wait for it ....

Last edited:
TM A: "LOD, please go to 3, please."
LOD: "LOD here."
Wait for it.
LOD: "Go for LOD."
TM B: "I think TM A is on 3."
Wait for it.
TM A: "LOD please."
TM B: "They're on 3."
Wait for it ....

Yep, that has happened more than once at our store. My favorite was:

TM A: TM B, what's your location.
TM B: electronics.
TM C: go ahead for electronics.
TM C: go ahead for electronics.
TM D: TM B was just stating their location.
TM A: has anyone seen TM B?

I can't tell many rimes I have done traffic control for the radios. That way the person waiting on three can stay there. Or my personal favorite one person is on another channel and someone's calling on 1 for them and is getting annoyed they are not answering. I frequently have to say "Dutch is on three, give them a couple minutes." It helps clear chatter, so I can ask my question.

Or the worst is the feedback cause they are to close to another radio and they keep on yakking when all you can hear is the feedback screech.

I grew up with CB radios(dad was a trucker) so I am constantly annoyed by the terrible radio manners.

45862607.jpg

I can't tell many rimes I have done traffic control for the radios. That way the person waiting on three can stay there. Or my personal favorite one person is on another channel and someone's calling on 1 for them and is getting annoyed they are not answering. I frequently have to say "Dutch is on three, give them a couple minutes." It helps clear chatter, so I can ask my question.

Or the worst is the feedback cause they are to close to another radio and they keep on yakking when all you can hear is the feedback screech.

I grew up with CB radios(dad was a trucker) so I am constantly annoyed by the terrible radio manners.

I end up doing the traffic control thing too from time to time. Usually, it's because of the same team member.

Does 789 (phone to walkie) work in any of your stores? I'm wondering if it is something I should see about getting back up and running in mine.

My store must be unique. I can't recall a single instance of anybody having this problem of switching to another channel. We all always call out the team members name first and wait for a response, then ask them to go to 2 or 4.

The issue I have at my store, is team members NOT using the other channels and tying up channel 1 with an entire conversation that SHOULD have been done on another channel. Especially when I need to use it to ask about something or call for somebody.

Apart from that the only other issue I have is with one fellow team member who talks so quiet, you can barely hear him. He also is notorious for starting to speak and keying up his walkie too late and/or letting go of the button too early so you only hear the middle of his question. So anybody that responds has to pretty much have him repeat his question again, which in turn takes up time and creates a lot of confusion on channel 1.

I end up doing the traffic control thing too from time to time. Usually, it's because of the same team member.

Our store is just clueless. Drives me nuts..

When somebody is tying up 1, I like to press my button for a couple seconds. It walks over them with static so they switch to another channel.
:cool:

789 stopped at my store also.

I also love it when rude restroom lady talks over everyone.

I still wonder how that works. I thought it had to be connected to the phone to walkie function but when that function went away and she continued to announce her message every hour on the half house that idea went out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back