Archived Walmart academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool for the people that didn't get high school degrees. However, what about those that have high school diplomas and college credits? I'd expect to be paid more than them. Js.

Education matters. As it should.
Maybe for getting a job. But once you have it that's where it should stop.

If you have 4 years of college and you get hired as the Walmart equivalent of gstl, why should you make more than someone that without a ged that got promoted from within

You're education shouldn't matter if you have the same job.
Depends on the degree and job. A business management degree will help a lot when trying to run a store (a business). A degree in basket weaving.....not so much.

I read through the Walmart subreddit sometimes, and probably 75% of the posts are about Pathways and Academy stores. They don't seem to be big fans of either one.

Pathways is all about getting the raise to $10/hr. But it takes months of computer classes and they have to find time to do it while on the clock but not needed in their department.

Academy stores have everyone stressed about doing everything absolutely perfect according to Walmart stores. Some people have to travel hours to the nearest one for training (although Walmart does pay for gas and hotels).

Maybe for getting a job. But once you have it that's where it should stop.

If you have 4 years of college and you get hired as the Walmart equivalent of gstl, why should you make more than someone that without a ged that got promoted from within
Because you made better life choices. Sorry, but there is only one reason why a person should ever be forced to leave school and that has to do with reproduction. If you are male, you have no real excuse. Even Judhead on Riverdale slept in the school when he was homeless.

Because you made better life choices. Sorry, but there is only one reason why a person should ever be forced to leave school and that has to do with reproduction. If you are male, you have no real excuse.
Wait, what?

Sexist, much?

Because you made better life choices. Sorry, but there is only one reason why a person should ever be forced to leave school and that has to do with reproduction. If you are male, you have no real excuse. Even Judhead on Riverdale slept in the school when he was homeless.
You can't sleep in schools in 2017 bro. There are plenty of reasons people can't finish or go to college

I never even got to go to college due to some really screwed up relatives who controlled and spent my inheritance on god-knows-what instead of my education, like it was supposed to be. I wasn't old enough to legally do anything about it, and I tried everything I could think of at the time. You ever tried filling out a FAFSA with no legal guardian when you're 18? FAFSA tells you to call the colleges, who in turn tell you to call FAFSA. Both tell you it's required regardless of your financial situation, but neither one knows what to do if you can't get the required people to sign off on it, so they just toss you around in circles until you realize it's pointless. Even GED programs are inclined to turn you away if you're homeless. I've been spending a lot of my time since leaving school just trying to keep my head above water and occasionally failing at it. Going several tens of thousands of dollars into debt to possibly change that is not exactly high on my priority list at the moment. Food, shelter, and things that can help me keep my sanity are.

And don't start with that "made better life choices" bullshit. Some of us don't have the option of making certain choices when we want to, or having the chance to follow through on them. Some of us had them made for us. Some people have financial issues, some have family issues, some have health issues, and there's a myriad of other things that can disrupt the best laid plans. Get off your damn high horse. You made decent plans, were able to follow through on them, and you got lucky nothing derailed them. That's awesome--but don't diss someone who wasn't able to do the same thing.

Walk a mile in another pair of shoes first.

I read through the Walmart subreddit sometimes, and probably 75% of the posts are about Pathways and Academy stores. They don't seem to be big fans of either one.

Pathways is all about getting the raise to $10/hr. But it takes months of computer classes and they have to find time to do it while on the clock but not needed in their department.

Academy stores have everyone stressed about doing everything absolutely perfect according to Walmart stores. Some people have to travel hours to the nearest one for training (although Walmart does pay for gas and hotels).

Yes. Pathways is fucking cancer. It’s boring and long. And at the end, there’s a graduation assessment where you are terminated if you fail 3 times. And maybe it’s because I’ve had hands on training and experience from Spot, but what you learn in 1 month of Pathways, u can be learned in 3 days of hands on training.

As for the stress of being an Academy store; yes, it’s true! My store is an Academy store and there is pressure on all of us, especially management, to be 100% + 3000% on the ball. The stress has caused some Department Managers to resign.

And yea, it’s cool for those who never graduate from anything; my mother never graduated from high school, let alone college, so it was a time for her to feel special. But she admits it’s a waste of time ‘cause you don’t learn shit.

Last edited:
There’s actually only just a 2-hour lecture with video about that. Shocking—especially for Walmart.

I'm pretty sure I once saw a 2-hour documentary about lectures/videos on unions and Walmart. :eek:

I never even got to go to college due to some really screwed up relatives who controlled and spent my inheritance on god-knows-what instead of my education, like it was supposed to be. I wasn't old enough to legally do anything about it, and I tried everything I could think of at the time. You ever tried filling out a FAFSA with no legal guardian when you're 18? FAFSA tells you to call the colleges, who in turn tell you to call FAFSA. Both tell you it's required regardless of your financial situation, but neither one knows what to do if you can't get the required people to sign off on it, so they just toss you around in circles until you realize it's pointless. Even GED programs are inclined to turn you away if you're homeless. I've been spending a lot of my time since leaving school just trying to keep my head above water and occasionally failing at it. Going several tens of thousands of dollars into debt to possibly change that is not exactly high on my priority list at the moment. Food, shelter, and things that can help me keep my sanity are.

And don't start with that "made better life choices" bullshit. Some of us don't have the option of making certain choices when we want to, or having the chance to follow through on them. Some of us had them made for us. Some people have financial issues, some have family issues, some have health issues, and there's a myriad of other things that can disrupt the best laid plans. Get off your damn high horse. You made decent plans, were able to follow through on them, and you got lucky nothing derailed them. That's awesome--but don't diss someone who wasn't able to do the same thing.

Walk a mile in another pair of shoes first.
You all amuse me. You assume I got the better end of the stick Because I said you need to make better life choices. NO. I have been homeless three separate times, I got the delight of live watching 9/11 up close and personal. I have my father murdered when I was 11 by a PCP high kid who burning the house down. Thanks to that I missed half of normal high school because the backward ass Oklahoma education system of the 80s

Once you are 18, you can make your own choices in this country. If you are dirt poor you can get the fuck up and walk the fuck out of your crack house and go somewhere else and get a better life if you want too. People will help you ask and dont screw them over, no matter your pigment. So don't get me that 'I couldnt do it' crap.

You can do anything you want to do. Most of the time people want to bitch and moan instead of being proactive.

Being homeless sucks. Living an a salvation army sucks. Living in a rundown hotel sucks. I got some lucky breaks. But most of my life was hard fucking work even though I HAD family issues (no grandparents to fall back on, last one insane all the others dead before I was 18) dirt poor (had to work to pay for college, still paying for college) Deal with knee issues and heat stroke issues (from time in military)

So don't think you can use shitty life as an excuse. I can trump your shitty life with my own. Still don't know what I inhaled following my photog friend to the remains of 9/11

As for the fafsa, filled it out twice. Got in 2005. As for your problem, you leave that place and go to another. I did all that you are talking about, all of it prior to the internet and cell phones. YOU TRY HARDER!

I slept inside a outside storage unit that had electrical security and worked at the arbys next door. I slept in movie theater dumpster. I ate from them.

If you are habitually homeless there are places where you can got especially if you have a job. Cities in the midwest. Ask fellow homeless. Most career homeless know these things.

I dont support e2e because I believe my mgmt is compentent. I support it because I can actually make a difference in the store for a short time. I'm where I am in my store because regardless of what I think about things I am always there, I am always helping guests and I always get everything I need done done. Its why I got into the idiocy with the pets reset. They thought I could actually do it completely alone.

I am not pissed at you. Adversity is never an excuse. Its a means to get stronger. Remember that.

I wasn't implying it's a contest. I've been homeless, lived in SA, and on the streets, too. I'm not trying to use the shitty bits of my life as an excuse, merely an explanation for why some things couldn't get done when the majority thinks they should've been. Not every area has the same resources, not everyone will qualify for the same aid, and there are occasionally times when even strong people just can't go that extra step at one point or another. And yeah, I'm old enough to know how all that crap went down before the 'net and cells. It isn't always possible to just pick up and go somewhere else that has resources without having the resources to actually do so first. I feel like it isn't so much a matter of, "just suck it up and try harder," as it is that one simply keep going, even if that means they have to wait to do certain things, or scrap others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back