Archived Walmart vs Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlowChick

Expect The Unexpected

Has anyone checked out this documentary? I watched it on Netflix last night.

How similar are the companies really? In your opinion? Target will always be better then Wal-Mart to me. From a customer's point of view....

I watched that in high school when it was new. Walmart has made changes since the doc. That doc was the beginning of the media paying attention to the dark sides of retail (from what I noticed anyway). I don't think Walmart is any different from target as far as the topics of that movie (from what I recall).

I watched that in high school when it was new. Walmart has made changes since the doc. That doc was the beginning of the media paying attention to the dark sides of retail (from what I noticed anyway). I don't think Walmart is any different from target as far as the topics of that movie (from what I recall).

It would be good if they updated it a bit and did mention how so many other retailers took up the Walmart model.
Also how the company has seen that public pressure is hard to resist after a while and how it can be good for business to change.

I remember watching it in economics during my senior year. We spent an entire class period discussing "how evil Walmart is."

I remember watching it in economics during my senior year. We spent an entire class period discussing "how evil Walmart is."

Without at all talking about how the real evil was that their business model was pretty much taking over retail, I'd imagine.

How does the walmart tactics then differentiate from now?

But I was thinking while people here in the states are complaining about a livable wage, you have those overseas really making next to nothing working 7 days a week with no breaks 12 hours a day just to survive......it's crazy.

But I was thinking while people here in the states are complaining about a livable wage, you have those overseas really making next to nothing working 7 days a week with no breaks 12 hours a day just to survive......it's crazy.

Of course that hasn't changed but now just about all retail stores get their stuff from overseas because they insist they could compete otherwise.
Buying from American manufactures would go a long way towards turning this country around but that would mean changing their business model.

Was slightly boring but I enjoyed it. It exposed how evil walmart actually is. From what I've seen of walmart, it hasn't changed much since this doc was made.

Was slightly boring but I enjoyed it. It exposed how evil walmart actually is. From what I've seen of walmart, it hasn't changed much since this doc was made.

I thought so too. There definitely are some dull points there. I think what didn't shock me at all was the crime that happens at Walmart. I mean look at the clientele...it makes sense to me. But the people who makes the clothes and their lives is really sad.

Without at all talking about how the real evil was that their business model was pretty much taking over retail, I'd imagine.
This.
Pretty much most of retail follows Walmart practices & nobody flinches. In fact, the business model (to hear capitalists talk) would come crashing down if living wages were instituted. Really? Are these corporations SO fragile that redistribution of profit could cause such chaos?
Not to mention all this concern about forcing jobs overseas because of all these pesky U.S. labor laws. Workers dying in factory fires in Bangladesh don't seem to impact shoppers here because it was a over century ago that such events occurred HERE.
People forget about WHY labor laws were passed yet big box retailers always seem to find an end-run.
There is no more free market; it's a rigged game.

Obviously we all know they're paying better now. A couple of years ago they announced adding improvements to scheduling (which they've pledged to improve upon more when they announced the wage increase). They changed some execs in China in hopes of improving those portions of their business. Walmart has a press release and a big to do on business news every time they make any change because they're climbing out of a gigantic PR hole. There's been other junk they've done to improve their image.

I personally believe Walmart is the most vilified retailer because it's the biggest, richest. I don't see how they differ from the others.. Including target. Although, I have heard they give better raises/bonuses, I'm sure it evens out on some other thing.

The thing about Walmart clientele (I'm too lazy to find the post that mentioned it up there somewhere) has to be heavily dependent on the region. I love my wm, but don't care for the other one that's close by. I had wm rotisserie chicken for dinner tonight lol

The thing about Walmart clientele (I'm too lazy to find the post that mentioned it up there somewhere) has to be heavily dependent on the region. I love my wm, but don't care for the other one that's close by. I had wm rotisserie chicken for dinner tonight lol

I agree with this. The guest that shop at my current store tend to leave trash everywhere, steal, and destroy the restrooms are the kind everyone thinks shop at Walmart. But there isn't a Walmart near our area and the closest one ( almost an hour away in traffic) is very clean and nice. At my old store we were very clean and had an upper class clientele while the homeless people camped out in front of the Walmart down the street.

Other than that the only difference is the uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back