Archived Want to leave Target so badly

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 39
  • Views 8K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zombiepanties, yes I do believe your situation is worse than mine and you have my sympathy.
I would just say hold onto to that fiancé. I mean at least you have someone to possibly help you through a difficult time.

I just think college is one of the greatest scams in American history. We need to stop with the whole "if you don't go to college, you will be a loser and miserable". I know a lot of people that are doing just fine and are happy without college degrees.

Sadly, I really think I need to start getting some courage and come up with an exit strategy. I've been going through some recent health problems and I'm pretty sure Target is partially to blame. I've been having a lot of panic attacks at Target and they seem to be the worst when I'm at Target. That is just sad. To let a crappy retail job ruin your health and existence. I feel like I have cheated myself out of so much. I feel like the life or energy has been drained from me because of Target. I've also got high blood pressure and tons of stress also because of fast, fun, and friendly. I got to make a change and soon. I won't lie. If I had the money and connections, I would definitely consider taking legal action against Target because of my health.

This is an article about how Amazon offers up to $5,000 to full time employees to quit.
They say it's a way to get people to really think about what they really want, not to get them to quit.
Considering that most of their employees are part time this doesn't apply to most of them.
I just wonder how it would work out if Spot offered a similar program.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/10/amazon-pay-to-quit_n_5128035.html

That sounds great. For my situation, I just have to finally get some courage, come up with an exit strategy, and leave Target once and for all. Leaving Target would be the best thing to happen to me. Nothing really left for me here. Yeah, I could have done things a lot differently which probably would have made my time at Target a lot more bearable but people make mistakes and pay the price. I've made tons of mistakes while working at Target and I've paid dearly for them. I know my attitude sucks at Target but I did learn my lesson. You can't expect too much at Target and you can't get emotionally invested in a place like that. I definitely got too emotionally invested in it and expected way too much from co-workers and bosses. Just got to move on. And I think I am. I am trying to deal with my health problems and once that's out of the way, then I can finally start focusing on an exit strategy.

Just a word of advice, and I realize I'm just some dude on the interwebs, so you can take it for what it's worth, but speaking from personal experience, you've got to stop kicking yourself over all your mistakes and hatred at Target. You don't have to wait til you're gone from Target to start turning your life around. Target isn't necessarily glamorous at the store level, and it sounds like you have some shitty bosses. And from what I'm getting, your family isn't too supportive of you either. Sometimes life just sucks, but you've can either wallow in self pity and self loathing or you can make the best of a bad situation while you focus on an exit strategy and/or better things. Set small goals for yourself as you work towards getting a new job and getting back out on your own. Best of luck with your future endeavors.

Sigma, you're right. I have to start with small goals first.

For you who believes Target is a horrible place to work for according to this post and looking for a new job. Why are you blaming Obama on this?

@sigma7 is right. You let Target tear you up too much, Jack. You've got to untie the POG of your soul from the aisles of your Oppressor. Your Oppressor is not Obama, change the news channel.

You're a semi-smart dude, and sound hardworking and capable, but you also have to watch your attitude. I know you keep the calling-names to yourself, but the underlying attitude might shine through anyway. Be sure, as you interview for better jobs, not to badmouth former employers, even Target, even if it deserves it. You have to speak in terms of what you learned and mastered, and how you're ready for larger challenges, and such. And for fuck's sake, do an intrapersonal investigation of why you hold these beliefs that fairness is paramount, but it somehow only applies to you.

You're an overripe fruit, dude. You need to drop from the tree and stop fearing and speculating about what's next, and just jump in. Why not now? Will it be better if you wait until you're 35? 40? Start your weird, magical, horrible life, man, the one where Target is a distant memory, a couple of funny stories from your past, before you were happy. And life? It requires us to drop into situations we know nothing about and cope.

I don't blame all of it on Obama. Bush destroyed America and Obama has basically continued the destruction. With that being said, even though I'm a constant complainer and pessimist, I can admit that I was the one that made bad decisions. I made so many bad decisions that it has made me so scared and paranoid to make major decisions. That's probably the main reason why I'm still at Target. And you guys are right. I have to step up and leave Target.

I don't blame all of it on Obama. Bush destroyed America and Obama has basically continued the destruction. With that being said, even though I'm a constant complainer and pessimist, I can admit that I was the one that made bad decisions. I made so many bad decisions that it has made me so scared and paranoid to make major decisions. That's probably the main reason why I'm still at Target. And you guys are right. I have to step up and leave Target.

You should point the blame toward the right people. Like the capitalist class. Yes, Obama is part of it but he isn't the sole problem. The main problem is capitalism and the ruling class behind it. They are the reason pay sucks, there are no benefits, and they take our surpluce labour.

First thing is to stop beating yourself up, Jack.
Spot does that enough to some people until they don't see it as abuse & come to accept it, even think they deserve it.
Next, find something that you can do that gives you even a small measure of satisfaction; be it reading to kids at the library, visiting with seniors at a nursing home, helping at a soup kitchen......something you can do even just once a week.
It's a small way to make yourself likeable to yourself without worrying what others think.
Then build from there.

I've been tempted to look into Peace Corps. If they would reduce my college loans or forgive them, I would probably do it. I know it sounds selfish but I put myself in debt to get a piece of paper that said I graduated from college. If I'm going to volunteer overseas, I've have to get some type of reward. Yeah it's selfish but America is a business. To be honest, I would probably only volunteer for Peace Corps if I had something in writing that guaranteed that if I volunteered with them that they would have to deliver if they say they will help me with my loans. In 2014, you can't just go by someone's word. You have to have something in writing.

I still think that getting distance from my current location and family would be the best thing to happen to me.

I've been tempted to look into Peace Corps. If they would reduce my college loans or forgive them, I would probably do it. I know it sounds selfish but I put myself in debt to get a piece of paper that said I graduated from college. If I'm going to volunteer overseas, I've have to get some type of reward. Yeah it's selfish but America is a business. To be honest, I would probably only volunteer for Peace Corps if I had something in writing that guaranteed that if I volunteered with them that they would have to deliver if they say they will help me with my loans. In 2014, you can't just go by someone's word. You have to have something in writing.

I still think that getting distance from my current location and family would be the best thing to happen to me.

Go for it man, I know people who have done things like this and they say it was the best thing they have ever done.
It gave them a view of the world they didn't have and a chance to help people who lived a life they couldn't imagine.
They came back calmer, more centered people.
Things that bothered them before, just didn't get to them anymore.

Good luck with whatever choice you make but consider this one.
It might seem really wild but it might be the best one you could make.

The thing with Peace Corp is that you have to have some skills. So whatever skills you can do for the Peace Corp should be ones you can use for a better job here already. Any Perkins loans would be subject to a 15 percent cancellation upon return. The others would go into deferment while you are out of the country. You also need to apply 9 to 12 months in advance of when you would leave.

That sucks but not surprising. The government will do anything to make things more difficult than they already are for you. That's probably they make the guidelines and requirements for the loan forgiveness programs so difficult. They don't want people to sign up because then if the people complete their service, they have to pay up.
Honestly right now, with the drama I am around at Target and my family, I would definitely consider going to China to work in a factory making sneakers or glass plates. Anything to get away.

So here are my questions to those in this thread that have degrees and can't find work: What is your degree in? How many jobs are available in your area that require your degree/specialization? My second question is important because if I wanted to live in my home town, I had 3 degree options that could guarantee a job: Doctor, Lawyer, or Teacher. I didn't want to be any of those so I dual majored in business and mathematics, two jobs that can land virtually any job, and I moved to another state that had plenty of job opportunities (DC,VA, MD area). From my experience, a BA/BS in almost anything can land you a better job than middle management (hourly TL) at a retail store. If your degree is in Zoology, then best of luck! I can't offer any help there. But if you have something else I can help you translate your skills into several other jobs you may not have considered. I know I didn't think I would be a software engineer, but I'm sure neither did any of my colleagues who have degrees in communications, political science, business, or journalism.

Good luck on getting out of Target! Remember your degree is valuable and can help you achieve your goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back