Archived Wanting to move on in Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTGOz

Suitable
I've been a Cashier for about half a year now and I wanna start to move on/up in my store. I wanna go to my GSTL but they're always preoccupied by time I'm off a lane on break or I just forget because I'm ready to go home.

What are some proper steps and etiquette to getting away from the checklanes and onto the floor? I'm open to doing Meat/produce, but preferably anything Hardlines I'd love. I do cart shifts here and there but I feel I can't do that job very sufficiently like the other Cart Attendants. I don't wanna do Guest Services.

Talk to your ETL-HR, they should all be about development and can get your interest out to other TL's in the building.

Learn GS anyway. It will show you have initiative and are willing to learn new skills. Also, be willing to step in and help nearby newbies when they have a question ( have their blinker on). Gets slow, zone by the lanes, restock candy and bags, round up hangers and reshop. Become valuable!

Swap shift board. If you start out just taking hardlines shifts here and there, and you're decent, the TLs will take notice and consider you for future shifts. Then you can talk to HR about doing both cashier and sales floor shifts.

I'm being honest with myself at least when I say this but I see my GSTL/GSAs taking much more favor over other cashiers who've not been here as long as me. I might be the only cashier who's been here the longest now (Besides the two older ladies that have worked here for a long time as a Cashier.)

Especially one of my GSAs, he's newish and loves to socialize with the girl cashiers. They'll complain "oh I hate doing cashier.. can I do something else?" and the GSA doesn't even bat an eye. He grants their wishes just like that. One time he let two of them go out and do stray in the store and they all grabbed walkies but when it came time for them to come backup.. they never came! They kept calling over walkie and then they finally replied "be right up" after maybe three tries to get their attention + the Front lane assistance prompt.

Maybe it's my fault for not being so forward and hating my job THAT much that I have to have the new GSA by the dick(excuse my choice of words lol) to do whatever they want when they want. It just sucks because I know for a fact I can do their duties assigned 100% better.. because I know the store pretty well actually and I know how to do it all... plus I don't stand around and do my work slowly while I gossip and complain about other things lol.

One time I got pulled to do some Freight work with other cashiers and I'm thinking "okay they actually paid attention to me this time." and for like 10 minutes everything's going fine and dandy when I hear in a hushed voice "That bitch." from one of the cashiers. They keep checking their phones, and messaging people, and then something came up and it suddenly meant the world to them. They did maybe one box of Grocery candy in 10 minutes... wtf? Should take only like 3 minutes tops. I could probably do 3 boxes in 4 minutes, unless I've hilariously mistaken pulling candy that belongs in Grocery is time consuming.

In short, it basically just bothers me these other Cashiers do it as an escape from the Checklanes. Me? I wanna do it because I wanna get off the lanes, BUT it's different because I'm ready to move on, I'm getting tired of the check lanes overall.. I definitely would not mind backing up. Infact, I'll backup the moment the walkie tells the entire store they need backup. I just wanna do something better that takes actual team work and helps keep customers happy. Not sit around, check my phone and stare at it, and chat and gossip the entire time.

Anyways, you get the gist. Emotions flared up lol. An ETL has actually told me once the store needs sales floor people, but this was back in the summer. I'll have to talk to one tomorrow, I plan to go in and check the schedule to see if I have to work Thanksgiving at all or not lol.

Learn GS anyway. It will show you have initiative and are willing to learn new skills. Also, be willing to step in and help nearby newbies when they have a question ( have their blinker on). Gets slow, zone by the lanes, restock candy and bags, round up hangers and reshop. Become valuable!

I do all that heavily, the moment I don't have a line I'm already out from the register and out zoning and picking up any stray and zoning the end caps and cleaning my station. I might stay at my POS if customer traffic is constant, kind of like yesterday where it should of been really busy but no one bought more than 15 items at least. It was kind of nice. I've had one GSA compliment me for it and for my flexibility (Going out and doing carts, taking over SCO, helping store with stray) but it never seems to catch on.

Thanks for the answers everyone. Sorry for lengthy reply lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back