Archived Wanting to move up

Status
Not open for further replies.

B26

Hey guys.

Well, I'm closing in on 6 months with Target and even though I don't want to "move up" for a while, it is something that I am beginning to think about especially since I plan to go to college and major in Business Administration.

I am still under 18 and have primarily been a cashier and getting lots of time at the Service Desk. When I am a cashier, I'm barely on the registers anymore... They usually have me zoning, reshoping, pushing checklane stuff, or helping in another department.

If all goes as planned, I will be with Target until I am 20 and then I plan on transferring to a University and going for a BA degree. What are some things I should keep in mind for moving up in the future? I was thinking once I'm over 18 I would apply for a GSA position.

Thanks. After the holiday season is over and the craziness dies down, I'm going to push to learn more workcenters. The Hardlines ETL loves me and always tells me she can't wait to have me hardlines trained.

Seeing your name is "Hardlinesmaster", I think you can help me out....

What exactly do you do in Hardlines? I already do zoning in HL, Reshops, and ad takedown. What are some tother basic things they do? Thanks again.

Working pulls: essentially like working reshop, except the product is coming out of the backroom. Not everything on your cart is guaranteed to fit on the salesfloor so there will be backstock (excess product) that you bring back to the backroom.

Guest service is another huge component of working on the salesfloor, be it hardlines or softlines. You'll be expected to ask guests if they need any help finding something, as well as answering guest calls for help via the callboxes or the phone.

Zoning throughout the day is helpful - usually stores have two "official" zones, one sometime during midday which is usually through grocery and perhaps another department, and the closing zone which ideally touches every area of the store.

On salesfloor, you'll more than likely carry a walkie - given one is available - this is what alerts you to guest assistance calls. It will also be used to communicate a need for backup at the registers, in which case you'll be expected to respond.

You will probably will not have a chance for a TL position until your well into college. Lately Target has been preferring people to be in some kind of Business field to become TLs.

Last edited:
Reactions: B26
Working pulls: essentially like working reshop, except the product is coming out of the backroom. Not everything on your cart is guaranteed to fit on the salesfloor so there will be backstock (excess product) that you bring back to the backroom.

Guest service is another huge component of working on the salesfloor, be it hardlines or softlines. You'll be expected to ask guests if they need any help finding something, as well as answering guest calls for help via the callboxes or the phone.

Zoning throughout the day is helpful - usually stores have two "official" zones, one sometime during midday which is usually through grocery and perhaps another department, and the closing zone which ideally touches every area of the store.

On salesfloor, you'll more than likely carry a walkie - given one is available - this is what alerts you to guest assistance calls. It will also be used to communicate a need for backup at the registers, in which case you'll be expected to respond.

Well, I've done everything you mentioned except for pulls (but I've done reshop plenty of times) so I guess all that is left is to be officially "trained". i'll talk with the Hardlines ETL in late January about it.

Thanks for the help.

You will probably will not have a chance for a TL position until your well into college. Lately Target has been preferring people to be in some kind of Business field to become TLs.

I'm not even close to thinking about a TL position right now. At a young age and still being in HS, I know that becoming a TL is an unreal goal at this point.

What I'm thinking is applying for a GSA position if it ever opens up and staying there for a while until I got off to a University for Business Administration. Ideally, I would love to go ahead and do Target's internship program and apply for an ETL position- but that is waaaay to far down the road right now and I know many things will change over the next 3-4 years.

I've just been working at a high volume Super Target for about 6 months and everyone has been telling me they have never seen anybody cross trained, etc at the rate I've been.

We do sale planners, set pogs, help guests, etc. learn Salesfloor process now. Start asking questions & watch ptm's in seasonal go to the new set. Push clearance, great for sales.
Seek out any opportunity to make sales...

I think this depends on the area or store. None of the recent TL promotions I can think of were in college or had a degree.

Don't do it!!! Do a year at target then leave.

We'll see how things go. So far I have had only good experiences with my Target.

I still need to finish my Senior year and then do the next two years at a local college before transferring to a new school. So that would be 2.5-3 years at Target. considiering I can't get a better paying job, it's a lot better then flipping burgers all day. Plus, I want to go to school for BA so it's probably ideal to stay with them haha.

I think this depends on the area or store. None of the recent TL promotions I can think of were in college or had a degree.

Its not official Target policy. But its at the District's discretion. There have been a string of demotions or TLs pushed out because TLs didn't have a degree or in college. Heck I even had former ETLs who had degrees in unrelated fields to Target who have been pushed out, and they have been with Target for years..

After the holiday season is over and the craziness dies down, I'm going to push to learn more workcenters.

Don't be surprised if they delay your training for a few months. January and February are tough months for hours - corp won't give enough hours to run the store, let alone train TMs. I was given my first taste of hardlines last year in December, when one of the SrTLs had me push PTMs in toys and help with re-shop. I didn't get any actual training hours (or even my learning plan) until the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back