Sales Floor Watching Merch fly out the door.

I worked NYD. I was going by the liquor isle and stopped to see a 'guest' take a bottle of whisky off the side cap, stuff it into his coat and turned to me and smiled. Then he just sauntered out the door. The security cap never set off the alarm. My call to O-9 was received and they just said 'Thanks for letting us know'. I did call as the 'guest' was holding the bottle. It is almost every day I now see this happening with everything from food to electronics.
recently, a regular guest pulled me to the side and informed me that a woman was putting merchandise into a duffel and wanted me to call security. I have no earpiece so she heard the usual reply and got outraged that this was being 'ignored' and stated that if that criminal doesn't have to pay, why should she. I only could reply that we are not criminals and respect each other, and that in the end, the shoplifters will get theirs in the end. The guest was not happy but accepted that this will happen. I also told her that Target has policies that we have to follow and that we are very limited on what we are allowed to do. I offered to call the Store Director and she replied to 'never mind 'and finished shopping. What else could I do?

I worked NYD. I was going by the liquor isle and stopped to see a 'guest' take a bottle of whisky off the side cap, stuff it into his coat and turned to me and smiled. Then he just sauntered out the door. The security cap never set off the alarm. My call to O-9 was received and they just said 'Thanks for letting us know'. I did call as the 'guest' was holding the bottle. It is almost every day I now see this happening with everything from food to electronics.
recently, a regular guest pulled me to the side and informed me that a woman was putting merchandise into a duffel and wanted me to call security. I have no earpiece so she heard the usual reply and got outraged that this was being 'ignored' and stated that if that criminal doesn't have to pay, why should she. I only could reply that we are not criminals and respect each other, and that in the end, the shoplifters will get theirs in the end. The guest was not happy but accepted that this will happen. I also told her that Target has policies that we have to follow and that we are very limited on what we are allowed to do. I offered to call the Store Director and she replied to 'never mind 'and finished shopping. What else could I do?
Call ap or lod after the event .

Meanwhile while shopping at Goodwill today I witnessed an employee tell a customer "you better give me what you just put in your pocket before I call the police."

Good for that employee but I'm not gonna try and stop a thief and put my life on the line. Let that be for people who get paid more to risk it, and won't be fired when they confront people.

This might be a case of ASANTS. AP is very vigilant on watching the cameras at my store and most of the team members have a good eye for "guests" concealing merchandise. However, I have noticed twice now that some people (mostly kids no older than 13) are able to break off the magnets that keep merchandise in electronics from being able to be taken. Even then they still get caught. AP just seems to not be doing so well at your store.
I'm not gonna try and stop a thief and put my life on the line.
I couldn't agree more. Sure, watching someone try to steal sucks. However, it's not worth putting yourself in harms way for it. Product is replaceable, but our lives aren't.

Just one bottle? Psh we have people daily multiple groups pushing out cart fulls while ap holds the door and tells them to have a nice day. No point if theu dont care to do anything about it. Spot seems to enjoy taking the hits. Frankly we have stopped calling ap all together store wide we are all tired of trying

Just one bottle? Psh we have people daily multiple groups pushing out cart fulls while ap holds the door and tells them to have a nice day. No point if theu dont care to do anything about it. Spot seems to enjoy taking the hits. Frankly we have stopped calling ap all together store wide we are all tired of trying
I rarely tell them anything anymore either. Their hands are tied - they really can't do much but try to deter by making their presence known up front.

It's frustrating, but as someone who worked security for 10 years at my previous job, it really isn't worth putting your life on the line for merchandise. Shoplifters today are unpredictable and dangerous.

The stores are getting cleaned out by thieves. It will never end until AP grows a set of balls and starts putting the hammer down. Yes, that's stupid tough guy talk, but realistically shoplifters are walking all over everything retail. No specific demographic, from dirtbag druggies to Karen with the 80k Infinity SUV.
We had a couple of kids that we already marked for trespassing refuse to leave last month.

Our Closing TL and AP bickered for them for 20 minutes IN FRONT OF ALL THE GUESTS by the check lanes before they left.

Just call the damn police!

I also believe they were unaccompanied minors which makes the situation more stupid.

The stores are getting cleaned out by thieves. It will never end until AP grows a set of balls and starts putting the hammer down. Yes, that's stupid tough guy talk, but realistically shoplifters are walking all over everything retail. No specific demographic, from dirtbag druggies to Karen with the 80k Infinity SUV.
Not worth it Captain. I've seen security get injured trying to "put the hammer down", as you say. Someone pulled a gun on one of our own last year. Nothing is worth that. Leave it to the cops - store security should not put their life on the line.

More uniformed security wandering the store during all hours it's open. That's unfortunately the only way to deter theft. The old days are gone when a guard grabs a kid stealing something by the ear and drags them into the office. That happened to one of my jr high school buddies. His mother was called to get him. She did then smacked the shit out of him. Today Karen would side with little Aiden every time.

Target could do the Office Max/Office Depot printer ink method. They keep the ink somewhere where guests can’t get it. They then have a locked box of an image of the ink so the shelf doesn’t look empty and the inventory doesn’t overflow.

They could also have a feature on the app where the guest requests an item in the back and we bring it up front.

Hell put Ulta alarms on highly stolen items that can’t get a standard spider wrap or are easily concealed. At my store they go off if you move it too much. Now the magnet key is only used to mute the alarm. Taking it off activates it.

Probably very little theft at Cabelas. Hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammo, all flavors on display on the shelves. Nothing locked up. Sportsmen don't steal things.

At our fairly local Cabelas the ammo, reloading components, powder, primers and equipment are not locked up, wide open on shelves. Guns of course are behind the counter.

At our fairly local Cabelas the ammo, reloading components, powder, primers and equipment are not locked up, wide open on shelves. Guns of course are behind the counter.
And I guarantee stuff gets stolen, or people try at least. They probably have surveillance cameras trained on that area and monitor it carefully.

Hard to tell really. Half of the big bears who shop there on weekends are carrying an iron, concealed or visible. It's perfectly legal if they have a permit for concealed carry. Visible carry requires no license or permit. It's America.

Back