Archived Wave zoning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is wave zoning supposedly, not making sure everything is in the right spot and making everything look presentable? Because at my store tm's get through isles extremely quickly, while i make sure everything is detailed and it the right price spot & location,faced forward etc. Sometimes when i had to put something back in an isle another tm zoned i have noticed stuff in the isle that belonged in another isle of the dept when i scanned it.

I zone as fast as i can but I am also all about accuracy too.

Is it my imagination or is wave zoning almost a rush zone?

When i'm working in dry market all by myself, sometimes i have 4 snack isles left by the end of the night depending on how busy it was etc & the hardlines tm's zoned all the other isles of the store.

Any tips or suggestions?

is this not a good thing that managers look down to? Because I work as fast as i can while zoning market while being detailed, & helping guests, putting back stock and bringing back every charge back i see to guest service(which also does take away time from my zone)

I thought wave zoning was when you have at least 2 TMs zoning the same aisle or section, in order to finish faster.

At my store there is zoning and super zoning.
When doing our normal zoning we just pull items forward and cover facings. We don't scan items or zone to planogram. We usually just leave the backstock there, unless it's falling on the floor or something.

The super zone is a bit different and more time consuming. We scan each item (or look for a DPCI on the package) and make sure it's in the right spot. We make sure to grab all backstock and take it to the backroom. We also pull more than 2-3 items when pulling forward.

Why super zone one aisle when you can zone six aisles in the same amount of time?
That's the philosophy at my store. Speed > Accuracy

We call it a deep zone, but it's the same.

Zoning is just a way to get the store looking presentable again. Making it look full and impactfull.

Deep zoning usually only occurs before inventory to ensure you get the proper counts on everything.

At my store, wave zoning is speeding through the aisles, pulling things forward, and making it look presentable even if it's not in the right place. We usually do this on Saturday before ad take down because it might not get the chance to be deep zoned.

Deep zoning at my store is when you zone everything to planogram. I do this everyday in electronics and entertainment, especially books and headphones. I wave zone stationary a lot because it's not my area but it's close enough to my area to annoy me when it looks like crap.

I hope that helps!

Softlines also has the "smart zone".... it's when the product is in the right section but may not be by the right size marker due to the fact that we don't have any of that particular size on hand. For example, in shoes if you don't have size 8 of a particular style/color you may put in more 7s or 9s of that same style/color. The idea being to make the floor look full while at the same time giving the appearance of accuracy. And in clothes if you don't have any size XS/S/M you may move the L from the L/XL/XXL up to that spot so it's not empty.

so wave zoning basically isn't all about accuracy? just making the store look neat and presentable.

No, wave is more than one person in a block. I'd call that fronting or fake zoning.

Zoning is just one TM per area doing a general zone.

Detailed, research, or super zone is to zone EVERYTHING to planogram and bring it all to the front.

Wave zoning is to gather all TMs take on areas together zoning alternating aisles.

Softlines also has the "smart zone".... it's when the product is in the right section but may not be by the right size marker due to the fact that we don't have any of that particular size on hand. For example, in shoes if you don't have size 8 of a particular style/color you may put in more 7s or 9s of that same style/color. The idea being to make the floor look full while at the same time giving the appearance of accuracy. And in clothes if you don't have any size XS/S/M you may move the L from the L/XL/XXL up to that spot so it's not empty.

Also known as flexing.

As long as they start at opposite ends, I'm okay with it. Realistically though, there needs to be floor coverage, not everyone in one area.

At my store, when you have 4 folks in hl, not happening. The poor tm In electronics is stuck doing one side of the building. Pfresh person does hba.

Ugh, I HATE wave zoning, and my store is all about it. Not only the mid-day, but lately the closing LOD has made us wave zone too. It's not as effective because with so many people, no one really does much. Everyone chats, and assumes everyone else will get what they missed. So the aisles barely look touched, and stuff is rarely put back where it belongs. I much prefer just to do my own section, and If i finish early, I'll help some of the bigger areas.
Of course, the ETL's love wave zones, so I'll have to suck it up..

My store only uses the wave zone for mid-day and if softlines is understaffed. Otherwise, each TM is in a different block and even TLs and ETLs "help" with the zone.

Lucky you! Ours actually isn't too bad about sending too much backstock, just wish they would follow the half case rule.

the only way I zone is to detail zone. Everything according to the plano / price label. I judge my fellow team members that suck at zoning. harshly.

Half case rule? Is that like if you and fit out at least half the case, then send the casepack to backstock? Because long term that has the potential to cause your store's rsch w/loc % to be consistently red.

Half case rule? Is that like if you and fit out at least half the case, then send the casepack to backstock? Because long term that has the potential to cause your store's rsch w/loc % to be consistently red.

This. The flow team and CAF pushers should always be pushing to capacity.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully that metric will change.

What triggers what needs to be scanned by instocks? Is it based on the quantity in the backroom? Would backstocking "case enough" have the same effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back