Archived We're Going P-Fresh

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were recently informed our store will be going P-Fresh later this year. I honestly don't see how it can be done without putting an addition to our store. Our STL, had zero info about it just the date. I'm excited :excited: about it, but really don't know what to expect. I've visited other stores that have P-Fresh as well as Super Targets, so I know what the final out come will be. Just curious how this might affect sales when the guests come in to see our "work in progress." Also not sure how long it will take.:huh: Any feedback?

Your remodel will probably take a few months. Depending on your store layout, some departments may move or become smaller. Because the remodeling space will be enclosed, things will move around (at least temporarily), so it'll get crazy for sales floor and logistics TMs, and the guests will probably get frustrated. Your sales will probably decrease due to guest frustration, but if your P-Fresh opening is advertised well enough, then sales will jump because guests will realize they can do all their shopping at Target.

What is your store layout? Hopefully you have some grocery aisles already. The true GM stores (no coolers or freezers) that go Pfresh, lose massive amounts of softlines floor pad and all the aisles get crammed together (ironically, Target became famous for their mega wide aisles). The stores that had expanded grocery prior to Pfresh have it MUCH easier.

The store I worked at was small, but somehow managed to work it. They did use the part of the old sporting goods, luggage and mens deparment as the new electronics, MMB deparment while ditching the round mens/womsn fitting room for a smaller, square co-ed fitting room and jaming mens and womans together. A/B block lost/gained 4 feet while the old G block gained 4 feet thus moving the race track over. There was talk before I left of them moving the pharmacy upfront but they kept it where its at now, towards the back. It was the electronics stock room before the 2003 remodel.

We were recently informed our store will be going P-Fresh later this year. I honestly don't see how it can be done without putting an addition to our store. Our STL, had zero info about it just the date. I'm excited :excited: about it, but really don't know what to expect. I've visited other stores that have P-Fresh as well as Super Targets, so I know what the final out come will be. Just curious how this might affect sales when the guests come in to see our "work in progress." Also not sure how long it will take.:huh: Any feedback?

Your remodel will take about 3 months, to complete. 1 month spent in your back rooms alone. Definitely will se a lot of changes and a lot of temporary movement of aisle and departments. We started the Day after Christmas. My guess is you'll be part of the August cycle as the April cycle is just about done in its first month. It's really challenging but also rewarding. your sales forecasts will actually be lowered by 20-30% to compensate for those people who will not shop in your store for the time of your remodel. We actually blew our sales out of the water everyday during remodel! We had a VERY strong Remodel ETL and Remodel TL, and we kept our store immaculate during our remodel. You will have good days, and you will have bad day's throughout the three months. but overall its an awesome learning experience for all! Our Remodel Team Leader actually was signed off as an ETL as a result of our remodel being so smooth.

What is your store layout? Hopefully you have some grocery aisles already. The true GM stores (no coolers or freezers) that go Pfresh, lose massive amounts of softlines floor pad and all the aisles get crammed together (ironically, Target became famous for their mega wide aisles). The stores that had expanded grocery prior to Pfresh have it MUCH easier.

Exactly! My store had expanded grocery before going pfresh so they only took away 3 check lanes and moved departments around. Guests were extremely frustrated with the constant movement but after three years they love it. Sales were down around 15% during remodel but once all the dust had cleared we're doing 30% more now before going pfresh (before weekday forecasts were ~$120k now they are ~$170k).

I would assume a major remodel (ie; temp. entrance, major facade changes etc) would make sales during a remodel drop pretty low aposto lets say a store that doesnt really have any major changes just new paint and deparments moved.

I didn't work in softlines prior to our remodel, but it seemed to me like we lost the most space in sporting goods and mens. We also lost 4 registers.

My store lost space in shoes and I don't remember where else, but we somehow gained space in cosmetics (not really sure how that happened).

My store lost space in shoes and I don't remember where else, but we somehow gained space in cosmetics (not really sure how that happened).

lost space in another department perhaps? Lost some checklanes? Where I worked costmetics remained where it was, just got the new fixtures. The old grocery department became paper and chemicals while grocery moved to where electronics used to be,

insightful, you asked about our store layout. I assume you mean our we a gm store. We already have aisles A1-A20 as market plus our freezer and cooler wall.

The date is Dec. 26 to begin remodel as we are huge for back to college in sales. I think they didn't want to lose sales during that time. I smart move with all the guest traffic, IMO.

Thanks for all your feedback in what to expect. I knew I could count on you!!! :)

insightful, you asked about our store layout. I assume you mean our we a gm store. We already have aisles A1-A20 as market plus our freezer and cooler wall.

The date is Dec. 26 to begin remodel as we are huge for back to college in sales. I think they didn't want to lose sales during that time. I smart move with all the guest traffic, IMO.

Thanks for all your feedback in what to expect. I knew I could count on you!!! :)

Yeah that is expanded grocery. Those are layouts that the Pfresh prototype was designed for. They go very "smoothly!"

Yeah that is expanded grocery. Those are layouts that the Pfresh prototype was designed for. They go very "smoothly!"

Unless you're in an old building that still has asbestos under the carpet and tile... and they didn't save the map from the previous remodel that showed where they'd removed it, so you have to behave as though it's still everywhere... grumble grumble...

Unless you're in an old building that still has asbestos under the carpet and tile... and they didn't save the map from the previous remodel that showed where they'd removed it, so you have to behave as though it's still everywhere... grumble grumble...

The store (not walmart) I help remodel last summer had that. The store opened in 1982. The asbestos was so bad that they had to actully remove the check lanes from the floor just to get it out. They set up tarps and had full on gear. They got rid of all the tile and just had cement flooring. Kept the old check lanes just added a new "skin" to them. But man once the tile was removed you could see a history of the store in its eary years including some outlines where walls used to be.

That's a extended grocery layout. Were you a former greatland?
No, we are not.

We are in an old building, about 1975, I think. It was a former retail chain that has went out of business. We've been here since 1989. Hopefully the asbestos was removed during one of our previous remodels.

I didn't think about department losing aisles. This may very well be the case as well as areas moving from their current locations. Our H&B sales have be consistently down in recent weeks. Perhaps this will be one of the departments. How do they decide which departments to shrink?

I assume you were in an old Gemco store?

No, we are not former Gemco. I've never heard of this chain. I'd prefer not to state on a public former what retail chain preceded us in this building on a public forum. The more info I give the easier it would be to determine where I am and perhaps who I am. I may have given too much info already. I'd like to keep my identity private. I will however send you a private message with the answer to your question. :) Thanks for your responses.

lost space in another department perhaps? Lost some checklanes? Where I worked costmetics remained where it was, just got the new fixtures. The old grocery department became paper and chemicals while grocery moved to where electronics used to be,

I know we didn't lose any checklanes - some departments must've shrunk. My store was built in the late 90s and had been remodeled once since opening, so we didn't have to move any departments around, just expanding and shrinking.

We finished going Pfresh in March and it looks awesome. There was no added footage, but guest keep saying the store looks bigger. We lost our Food Avenue to Starbucks, Mens, RTW, toys and sporting goods all shrunk a bit, with softlines shrinking the most. One of the things that everyone agrees should have been done years ago is, all our baby items are in one area now. No more running to the back of the store for formula, diapers etc., they're all in one area. We didn't lose any registers, we only have 14 but with the huge cutbacks we rarely use more than 6 and that's during a back up. Doing a Pfresh remodel is exciting and hectic, things get moved daily and you'll never know where anything is, but just relax and the time will fly by.

Losing food ave to Starbucks? I'm not a big Starbucks fan, but I know several TMs are hoping we get a Starbucks added. All our baby items have been in infants for some time except for the travel size items which are still in H&B. Never knowing where things have moved to will make it rough for two reasons. One being able to help guests find items they need. Two where to bowl & stock for the unload/push process. I'm still excited about the whole process and appreciate all responses. :)

It is suggested to have make a map on where stuff is. For ex: aisle a1 - band aids, a2 - pain pills, etc for each area like hba & chemicals.Alarm, give copies to pharmacy, & gstl/gs. They will love to have that info too. I made one & updated everyday. I had a master on the set aisles & just photocopy any moves to it.

My store is in week 12 of a 13 week Remodel. Youll constantly have guests asking where things have moved and be just as confused yourself most times. Half the guests will spread a rumor that you are going out of business.

No, we are not former Gemco. I've never heard of this chain. I'd prefer not to state on a public former what retail chain preceded us in this building on a public forum. The more info I give the easier it would be to determine where I am and perhaps who I am. I may have given too much info already. I'd like to keep my identity private. I will however send you a private message with the answer to your question. :) Thanks for your responses.

First: Given that Gemco has been out of business for over 25 years, I find it difficult to believe that anyone could find a specific store based on that info. Second: remodel cycles aren't released to non-target employees, and team members below STL are rarely informed of remodel plans unless they are directly involved in the remodel itself. Third: you said the remodel is scheduled for the first 2013 cycle, who on this forum is going to care enough about finding out who you are and where you're located? I know I certainly don't give a rat's backside where you are, and I'm sure no one else here does either. Fourth: you're a flow team member, if I assume correctly. The chances that anybody would go to your store while you're working and a)recognize you from the other 15 team members on flow and b) even know your name is highly unlikely. Paranoia serves no purpose.

First: Given that Gemco has been out of business for over 25 years, I find it difficult to believe that anyone could find a specific store based on that info. Second: remodel cycles aren't released to non-target employees, and team members below STL are rarely informed of remodel plans unless they are directly involved in the remodel itself. Third: you said the remodel is scheduled for the first 2013 cycle, who on this forum is going to care enough about finding out who you are and where you're located? I know I certainly don't give a rat's backside where you are, and I'm sure no one else here does either. Fourth: you're a flow team member, if I assume correctly. The chances that anybody would go to your store while you're working and a)recognize you from the other 15 team members on flow and b) even know your name is highly unlikely. Paranoia serves no purpose.

He's not worried about you dude.
It's Spot that can make life a bit uncomfortable and has for people in in the past.
Everybody has their own degree of how far they want to go with sharing here and I'm sure that if Spot really wanted to figure out who I was they could but it's best to try and keep things as anonymous as possible.
There are a few people who are pretty much completely out and I respect them for that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back